• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke E1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRtpt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Schilke E1 Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the Schilke E1 or D1? This is the old small bore/bell Eb/D that Schilke used to make. How did you find the tuning sound in general? I don't expect it has a large sound and I'm especially curious about the D side. Thank you very much.

Mark
Schilke G1
Selmer Eb
Courtois Flugel
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: SchilkeE1 Reply with quote

Hello MRtpt,
I think that would be an OK horn for the money just to have that keyed trumpet. I have played the fixed bell Schilke models, owned two Yamaha counterparts to that model and owned a Bach EL. Of those mentioned the Schilke is the less quirky than the others. Now, if you pony up to the E3L, you have a great horn! I am sure that the Yamaha counterpart is also very good. I have never played one. On a side note, I play a Schilke soprano cornet if I need anything in Eb. D trumpet stuff, I use a C or a piccolo. I don't need a designated D trumpet for the playing I do. Serious symphony players need that horn for what they do.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played on an E1. Plays super small and kinda tight. Wasn’t impressed. The E2 and E3 are better choices. The E3L is even better.

Depends on what your playing goals are. For playing around or church, it’s ok. For solo and classical playing, there are better choices.
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure, I have an E1 for sale in the marketplace... It does play smaller than an E3L or E2, but for Baroque music it's quite nice, very similar to the G1L with the small piccolo bell or the F bell. And you can use a larger mouthpiece to get a very sweet, warm tone on the Eb side.

You'd need a larger horn for orchestral work, but for Baroque stuff where you don't want to use a picc, or any delicate chamber or solo material, this is quite a useful horn. I'm not even fully convinced I want to sell mine, I just rarely have the chance to do anything with it.
http://kristiner.com
Jberg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky enough to own two old Schilke D1's (one from '59 and one from '60) and they both play great. I believe it has the same bell as the G1L & G1L4 (the largest for these - #5 taper)

Primary use has been in a chamber orchestra or occasional solo stuff. I have no issues with intonation and I use the same mouthpiece setup as I do on Bb/C. I imagine it would make a great horn for 2nd and 3rd parts on Bach, etc., but I haven't had the chance to use it for this yet.

It does have a smaller sound but at least one of mine measures at .460 bore (haven't measured the other one). These are both from very early on (when Schilke was using the date of plating as a serial number) so they could be from before he finalized the designs.

I should also mention that there is one major design difference between the E1 and D1, and that is the bell bracing. The brace between the leadpipe and bell closest to the tuning slide is missing on the E1 (it only has a bell brace connecting the mouthpiece receiver to the bell) because the leadpipe on this horn is so short. The D1 a longer leadpipe that allows for two bell braces just like a regular Bb trumpet. In my opinion, this makes it much more stable and similar in playing to a big horn.

Personally, I like these braced high horns (also the Yamaha 9636) much more than a tuning bell trumpet such as the E3L but YMMV.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U of Minnesota owned a pair of D1's when I was there in the late 60's. We used thim in orchestra for Classical (Mozart, Haydn) and some Baroque stuff. I thought they were excellent.
MRtpt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Schilke E1 Reply with quote

Thank you for the information friends. I appreciate your replies and experiences. My goal is small D for recital, quintet, wedding playing. I haven't quite decided on the E1/D1 as I would have to part with my current e-flat to fund it and I'm not certain I'm ready to do that. For now, I'm becoming friends with the key of B.

Mark
Schilke G1
Selmer Eb
Courtois Flugel
TowsonTrumpetGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

I don't know whether you settled on your decision or not, but I certainly think that the D1 would fit your purposes well. I've been considering selling mine so shoot me a message if you're interested. I reached out to Jim Donaldson shortly before he passed away looking for some info on the D1. He said they only made them for about eight or nine years, and in total they only made 22 D1 horns. If you don't buy mine, and you have the opportunity to buy another, take it! It does feel a little smaller than the current E3L models but it helps me get in the right mindset and approach to play it anyway.

Cheers!

1974 Bach 37
1992 Bach 229GH 25R Large bore C
1967 Schilke D1
Kanstul F. Besson Meha Large Bore Bb
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interrupting here a bit; I think I might have borrowed a D1 when I was a senior in high school, nearly 40 years ago. The owner, a former railroad cop and amateur player, had studied with Schilke, and Schilke made it for him (60’s?). Fixed bell, smallish bore, had a set of C slides with it of all things. In C it played small but being the only kid in youth orchestra with a C was a huge advantage with transposition. Played it with D slides in small ensemble stuff.

Small, fun horn that let me stretch my legs a bit as a student. A unique horn I was too young and green to appreciate as much as I should have. Always wonder what happened to that horn, and what the model/ configuration it really was. Wish I could remember more.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: