• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Groove Merchant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Groove Merchant Reply with quote

When I was in college, we played a lot of Thad Jones/Mel Lewis charts. I’m always amazed at how much better it is when you hear the masters do it.

BEAUTIFUL trumpet solos, by the way.

https://www.facebook.com/MaraDonadonie/videos/1869666113097345/
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Village Vanguard Jazz Orchestra still plays "Groove Merchant" from time to time. Back in the 1970's, before the chart was officially published, we had a note for note transcription done by Butch Nordal. It was awesome but it's probably not still available. You'd have to contact Butch to find out if he kept a copy on file.

This is an excellent chart for developing players to study/play. About 10 years ago I got the published version for a high school big band I was coaching. That version was a little different than the original but still a good teaching tool.

Jazz is a "legacy" sort of thing. If you're a high school band director and your band shows up at a festival with a Thad Jones chart it really gets the attention of the judges. The same goes for Kenton charts. They're timeless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: