• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low or High F trumpets for Mahler?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmao_a_horn_player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Low or High F trumpets for Mahler? Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that players of the late romantic era would use high f trumpets because the parts were written so that you transpose up a 5th on a Bb, but upon researching it, I am finding that they play on trumpets pitched a 4th down from a Bb. I was wondering if this is the case if they would have to read the music up an octave (or if it was written up there originally) or if the music we read when playing is adapted to our modern Bb and C trumpets? If anyone could shed some light or correct me where I went wrong on this that would be great!
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Low or High F trumpets for Mahler? Reply with quote

lmao_a_horn_player wrote:
I was always under the impression that players of the late romantic era would use high f trumpets because the parts were written so that you transpose up a 5th on a Bb, but upon researching it, I am finding that they play on trumpets pitched a 4th down from a Bb. I was wondering if this is the case if they would have to read the music up an octave (or if it was written up there originally) or if the music we read when playing is adapted to our modern Bb and C trumpets? If anyone could shed some light or correct me where I went wrong on this that would be great!

They played low F trumpets. It made the parts very difficult! Upon the refinement of the Bb and C trumpet, players took to using them as they simply made the job easier and gave greater security.

It seems (and this may change) that Bb/C trumpets have 'settled' as the generally accepted middle ground between 'large sound' and 'ease of playing/security'. In the last 50 years there has been huge advancement in the quality and availability of the higher trumpets (including Eb and F trumpets), and whilst they are occasionally seen used in Symphony Orchestras, I don't know any Principal trumpets who have replaced their Bb/C with a higher pitched instrument in order to be 'more secure'.

All the best
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Vacchiano used a large D-trumpet a lot. Didn't Susan Slaughter use an Eb a lot, too?
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
I was under the impression that Vacchiano used a large D-trumpet a lot. Didn't Susan Slaughter use an Eb a lot, too?

Individual players make all kinds of decisions- there will always be examples of X individual choosing to use a particular trumpet. However, my observations were based on the general majority.

One example that springs to mind: Gabor Tarkovi does the end of Petrouska on the C trumpet, but I bet a poll of professional orchestral players would show that Gabor is in the distinct minority choosing such a large instrument for that particular excerpt.

All the best
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet in F parts from the late romantic era are generally for low F trumpet, as LSOfanboy posted. The players of that time played these parts in the same register in which we play today, meaning that they had their work cut out for them!

Last edited by trumpetmandan on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Howard Snell used to play everything on an Eb trumpet with the LSO.
There is a Mahler 2 video recording with Bernstein, where he demonstrates this.
It sounds great by the way.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bb is the main orchestral instrument in GB. Which is why I was surprised to see an old B&W video of Philip Jones playing Pictures at an Exhibition on C trumpet, with Giulini I believe. It is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R3OcYXy0XU
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were any German or Austrian orchestras still using f trumpets by the time Mahler's symphonies were performed or even when he wrote them? Probably not. The Vienna Philharmonic used piston c trumpets at the beginning of the 20th century and elswhere b flat instruments had long been established.
Interestingly, for one high pp passage in the last movement of his 7th symphony, Mahler wrote "auf kleinem Piston", which normally one would translate as "on a small cornet". I wonder what he meant; presumably something smaller than c or b flat trumpet.
Perhaps someone knows if they used high e flat cornets in Austrian or Bohemian bands at this time?
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts removed. Personal attacks are against the UA. Think twice, post once, and walk away if it is not contributing to the discussion.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a magical "nice wand" like that. Ding!
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

Actually Vacchiano used the regular D180 which is a medium bore. You can see him playing one in the Bernstein Young Peoples' Concerts on youtube. He didn't like large bore trumpets in general.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mlada, by Rimsky-Korsakov, calls for two trumpets and a low F trumpet. In The Procession of the Nobles is a great opening fanfare for 3 trumpets. I've transcribed it inexpertly from the original score with Musescore if anyone wants the parts. I haven't added dynamics or style indications. I transposed it so all 3 parts are written for Bb trumpet.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: The Russian Low F. Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Mlada, by Rimsky-Korsakov, calls for two trumpets and a low F trumpet. In The Procession of the Nobles is a great opening fanfare for 3 trumpets. I've transcribed it inexpertly from the original score with Musescore if anyone wants the parts. I haven't added dynamics or style indications. I transposed it so all 3 parts are written for Bb trumpet.

A long time ago I read somewhere that the low-F trumpet that Rimsky-Korsakov asked for was not the same instrument as the low-F valved trumpet the late romantic composers in other countries were scoring for. The transposition is different, and RS even claimed that his F-trumpet was his own "invention" meant to give a trumpet section more "weight".
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Russian Low F. Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
A long time ago I read somewhere that the low-F trumpet that Rimsky-Korsakov asked for was not the same instrument as the low-F valved trumpet the late romantic composers in other countries were scoring for. The transposition is different, and RS even claimed that his F-trumpet was his own "invention" meant to give a trumpet section more "weight".

Interesting. Here is the trumpets from the score.

According to my research, the upper is Bb trumpet, and the lower is low F trumpet.

Up above, the "Clarinetti" have one flat like the upper trumpet, and the "Flauti" have 3 flats. I don't know how other low-F trumpets are pitched in other works.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Russian Low F. Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Didymus wrote:

According to my research, the upper is Bb trumpet, and the lower is low F trumpet.

Up above, the "Clarinetti" have one flat like the upper trumpet, and the "Flauti" have 3 flats. I don't know how other low-F trumpets are pitched in other works.

A similar discussion previously had on Trumpet Master:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/shostakovich-1-3rd-trumpet.34145/

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Russian Low F. Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Didymus wrote:

And in my family ensemble's case, we made the Tromba part the 3rd trumpet, after transposing. For the "2 Trombe" line, you only see 1 part in the line shown, but on the next line there are two parts on the same staff, 1st and 2nd Trombe.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: My Sources: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but did lurk here for a while before I finally registered and starting speaking up.

I found two parallel threads about the alto F in Russian orchestrations:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1176893

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/contr-a-alto-trumpet-in-f.38943/

The OP of both threads received a robust response on the TM site.

I tried some google-fu to look for a source similar to what I read years ago. The other day when I asked Jim Becker about converting a G sop bugle to an instrument which I could play in F I brought up what I had learned years ago about there being two different kinds of low F trumpets. I'll keep looking to find where I picked up on that idea.
Ferg825

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

Susan frequently used a custom made blackburn that was an Eb horn with a C bell. Thomas Drake (2nd trumpet) does the same thing. It's a great idea and he sounds great
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the original poster's question, I do not think it has been answered adequately or correctly.
To make sure we are talking about the same thing: late romantic is for me the period ca. 1870-1910.

The original poster asked about trumpets in Mahler’s symphonies.
LSOfanboy replied "They played low F trumpets. "
and Trumpetmandan wrote "The trumpet in F parts from the late romantic era are generally for low F trumpet"
These statements are IMHO inncorrect
Composers such as Mahler notated their parts as if they were being performed on 6 foot f trumpets, which may still sometimes have been the case when he was studying composition ca. 1870 but by the time his symphonies were written and performed - despite the notation, sometimes in f sometimes in bflat- they would always have been performed on b flat trumpets or in the case
of the Vienna Philharmonic c trumpets. I think from around 1860-70 players had started changing to b flat in German speaking countries. I guess it is just possible that the first performance of his first symphony in Budapest may have been played on f trumpets.
The only country still using long f trumpets in Mahler’s time was Britain, I believe. They used f trumpets there into the 20th century.

So the short historically correct answer is:
the composer Mahler wrote often out of habit, as if the trumpeters were still using the long f trumpet, but in reality they weren’t, they were using the b flat.
Similarly modern horn parts are still notated in f but the players use the b flat side of their double horn most of the time. [/b]
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher said that before that time all players use long low F trumpet but as Mahler was living there was slow switch to Bb and maybe C. It was sensible for him to write for F trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: