• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcink CG Personal Alternatives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Marcink CG Personal Alternatives Reply with quote

Hi,

Tl;dr: Looking for stock mouthpieces similar to the Marcink CG Personal.

After playing a lot of mouthpieces, I've found that the only kinda of mouthpiece that I feel comfortable on are V cup mouthpieces (Although I need that little drop after the rim like in the Marcink CG Personal) and the only rim shape my note placement is secure on is the rim on the Marcink Claude Gordon Personal.
It's weird, and kinda annoying because it's really not a common rim shape.

Anyway, I *love* my marcink CG Personal, and now I know without any real doubt that this design is really the only one where I have the sensation of being able to relax and put my attention on the music, rather than there being a feeling that I could 'fall off the tight rope' at any moment and miss or chip a note. Not sure how else to explain it.
Maybe it's the rim shape, maybe it's the throat, maybe it's the V cup with a little lip room at the top, maybe it's the backbore. I really don't know what it is, but it just works for me! I feel in control and the playing makes physical sense to my body - it feels like singing.

So I am looking for variations of the basic design, mostly to explore different colour options.

Currently planning on trying a Stork 2B+ 25C.
Any other suggestions?

If that doesn't work, I will have Marcink to make me a custom CG Personal with a slightly modified cup. Although their custom work isn't cheap (not a complaint, just an observation)
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stork B cups are closer to the shape and depth you’re used to. The 2 diameter is big. Like Symphonic big.

The Stork 5b might be closer to the diameter of the original CG Personal.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make ALL of my mouthpieces, and when (last week) I asked what production 'piece was closest to my custom 'piece (yes, very expensive, but it makes a difference), Graham was able to look up my data and find me one of their production pieces that is close enough to use if/when my regular one is not available (gods forbid!). Talk to them and see what they have to say.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note, I think you might want to try the regular Stork Vacchiano cup as well as the + model. The regular cup already has the V/C shape combo. The + makes it an entirely different mouthpiece in my opinion, I feel it's more like a C cup with a bit of V before the throat instead of a true hybrid. I much prefer the standard cup, to me the + cup makes it feel like the air is almost backing up on you.

Also, not all the rims are narrow. The Vacchiano 4 is actually kinda wide.

Regardless, can't go wrong with trying Stork. I've always been blown away by their work, even the Studio Master line.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at an older Bach 7 in your quest for a CG Personal alternative.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
Stork B cups are closer to the shape and depth you’re used to. The 2 diameter is big. Like Symphonic big.

The Stork 5b might be closer to the diameter of the original CG Personal.

I think the Marcink version actually has a bit larger diameter than the original. The Kanstul version is a bit on the small side.

From the specs of the Marcink CG personal, Phyllis first recommended the 1.5, but I know the Marcink specs are misleading. It's also a mouthpiece that is hard to tell the diameter of by feel. It's smaller than a Bach 1.5 and bigger than a Bach 7, but I don't know beyond that. I guess it's probably between a 3 and a 5, but with the rounded rim, it's really hard to know.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
Just to note, I think you might want to try the regular Stork Vacchiano cup as well as the + model. The regular cup already has the V/C shape combo. The + makes it an entirely different mouthpiece in my opinion, I feel it's more like a C cup with a bit of V before the throat instead of a true hybrid. I much prefer the standard cup, to me the + cup makes it feel like the air is almost backing up on you.

Good to know - thanks for that info.

I can't play on the original Kanstul version of the CG P. It's great for the first 5 minutes of playing, but if/once my lips swell up a little bit everything goes haywire on me. I need some lip room at the top of the cup, which is why I thought the + cup might be better, but I really don't like the feel of C cups, so perhaps it's better to stick with the original B cup, and hope the shape has enough room at the top of the cup?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more suggestions?

I'll probably try a Maricnkiewicz standard No. 1 with and opened throat as well.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ping John Mohan. I think he was involved with a CG-based mpc line.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Any more suggestions?

I'll probably try a Maricnkiewicz standard No. 1 with and opened throat as well.

I had Marcinkiewicz adjust bore size on their CGP mouthpieces for me. It wasn't very expensive and it altered the sound a bit without changing the feel of the mouthpiece. I had it done for both trumpet and cornet mouthpieces. To be specific, I have a CGP trumpet with an 18 drill and a cornet with a 16 drill. Fun to play with these and I like them more than the originals.

Also, I think they offer the stock ones in either a 20 or 22 drill.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard iii -

How does the #18 throat compare to the originals? I'm on the #20 throat Version at the moment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: