• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2nd Valve Bottom & Top Cap Stuck on my Brand New Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kemet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: 2nd Valve Bottom & Top Cap Stuck on my Brand New Trumpet Reply with quote

The title is pretty self-explanatory. My brand new trumpet came in the mail on Friday and the top and bottom caps on the second valve are stuck. The other caps come off with ease. Are there any home remedies for getting them unstuck? My second valve goes down very slowly. When I oil it through the bottom, there isn't much of a difference.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd Valve Bottom & Top Cap Stuck on my Brand New Tru Reply with quote

Kemet wrote:
The title is pretty self-explanatory. My brand new trumpet came in the mail on Friday and the top and bottom caps on the second valve are stuck. The other caps come off with ease. Are there any home remedies for getting them unstuck? My second valve goes down very slowly. When I oil it through the bottom, there isn't much of a difference.

There is no excuse for this on a brand new horn.
Don’t mess with it. You will ruin the warranty.
Get a return authorization and send it back.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the brand? If by any chance it’s a 150.00 ebay special, this would not surprise me.

If it’s a decent or better horn I would hope a local music store tech could get them removed.

Brad
Kemet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
What is the brand? If by any chance it’s a 150.00 ebay special, this would not surprise me.

If it’s a decent or better horn I would hope a local music store tech could get them removed.

Brad

It's an Eastar trumpet. I got it on Amazon for $109. I didn't want to buy anything too expensive since I just started playing in October.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strong are your fingers (seriously) - and don't use any tools.

If you have finger strength to open a really tight new bottle of ketchup (glass with a metal top), then you should be able to loosen the valve caps. If you doubt your strength, maybe ask someone who's a little stronger ... but again, NO tools, just fingers.

The slow valve might only indicate a need for cleaning and fresh valve oil. If there is a feeling of rubbing or roughness - that's bad and probably returning it or taking to a repair tech for inspection would be proper.

Is the horn from a maker that has a telephone or email 'contact us' facility - if yes - then do that.
If it's a bargain priced no-name brand, then hope for the best ...

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you contact whomever you purchased the horn from, explain the problem, and see if they'd be willing to pay for a local repair technician to fix the problem (or if they'd prefer the expense of you returning the horn).

Most likely it is a very quick and inexpensive "repair" that will not mar your horn in any way. I had this happen once. The tech loosened the caps in a matter of seconds, swapped the second and third valve caps and that permanently fixed the problem.

Good luck!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I'd suggest that you contact whomever you purchased the horn from, explain the problem, and see if they'd be willing to pay for a local repair technician to fix the problem (or if they'd prefer the expense of you returning the horn).

Most likely it is a very quick and inexpensive "repair" that will not mar your horn in any way. I had this happen once. The tech loosened the caps in a matter of seconds, swapped the second and third valve caps and that permanently fixed the problem.

Good luck!

True, it might be a simple and cheap fix. But it could also be something wrong with valve casing or cross threaded caps.

Contact the seller to cover yourself before trying anything other than your fingers.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Kemet wrote:
It's an Eastar trumpet. I got it on Amazon for $109. I didn't want to buy anything too expensive since I just started playing in October.

Well.....

One of many differences between a $109-150 trumpet and something made with a little more care.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can help a lot to wear leather gloves when you try to untighten them by hand. I agree that you'll probably damage them if you use a tool of any kind. If you can't loosen them by hand find the strongest person you can and have them try. It's just really a matter of whether enough force can be applied. Some people are a lot stronger than others. Just stick with doing it by hand.
Alsorann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has a great return policy. Lose that sucker and get somebody to help you buy a decent, used student horn.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsorann wrote:
Amazon has a great return policy. Lose that sucker and get somebody to help you buy a decent, used student horn.
+1
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsorann wrote:

+ 1

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsorann wrote:

+1

Send it back! To be blunt these are the proverbial "trumpet like object". In addition to the poor quality trumpet the mouthpiece is most likely garbage as well. It may look like a mouthpiece and have identification like a reputable one, but many of these are so badly designed that even an established player couldn't get a reasonable sound.

Find yourself a band director, trumpet teacher, player or evena a music store and get some local guidance... There are FAR better instruments available at a reasonable cost.

The other part of the equation is resale. What you have has NO resale value - even a modestly priced student model trumpet will have some value in the future.

Consider renting! You'll get a better quality instrument that you can later upgrade from or trade in if you stick with it, and will come with support - cleaning, repairs, etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Alsorann wrote:

+1

Send it back! To be blunt these are the proverbial "trumpet like object". In addition to the poor quality trumpet the mouthpiece is most likely garbage as well. It may look like a mouthpiece and have identification like a reputable one, but many of these are so badly designed that even an established player couldn't get a reasonable sound.

Find yourself a band director, trumpet teacher, player or evena a music store and get some local guidance... There are FAR better instruments available at a reasonable cost.

The other part of the equation is resale. What you have has NO resale value - even a modestly priced student model trumpet will have some value in the future.

Consider renting! You'll get a better quality instrument that you can later upgrade from or trade in if you stick with it, and will come with support - cleaning, repairs, etc.

THIS.

Take advantage of Amazon’s return policy, this horn is most likely junk that will soon self destruct, besides the fact that it’s going to make your progress in learning to play much slower. There’s a reason why it only cost 109.00 brand new.

SEND IT BACK.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But first be CERTAIN that there will be a 'full cash refund' for the return - especially if you have to pay the return shipping fee!

Or, the seller might insist on sending you a replacement. If so, demand that it be in good playing condition and that the seller pays all shipping costs.

Before doing anything, check the 'fine print' about Amazon return/refund policy to understand your options.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on whether it was a third party seller, but I’ve had no problems ever with a return to Amazon. If the seller tries the replacement thing, be firm in that you want a REFUND. I have had sellers want details, pictures, etc. Just refuse, many of these guys don’t want to risk their standing on Amazon over one return.

And OP, you DON’T want a replacement!

Brad
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the pistons and caps from the other valves. Put the horn in your freezer for an hour. Take it out and run hot water over the caps ONLY. Take a leather strap or some other thing to encircle the knurling and twist them off.

Might work.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsorann wrote:

+2
Return it to sender - keep returning them until you get one that functions correctly. Never try your own repair, you just end up w/a new and different problem.
Good Luck.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Alsorann wrote:

+2
Return it to sender - keep returning them until you get one that functions correctly. Never try your own repair, you just end up w/a new and different problem.
Good Luck.

Personally, I would return it for a refund rather than exchange, even if I had to eat the freight (which is unlikely with Amazon).
Even if the OP gets one that’s better, it’s still basically a TSO that’s going to get worse.

Brad
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber jar openers will likely allow you to remove the caps if you decide to keep the trumpet. They are cheap. After you remove the caps, put some slide grease on them and gently work the caps up and down the threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: