• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin trumpet question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vrinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Martin trumpet question Reply with quote

I was at a thrift store this weekend and found this Martin trumpet. Looking at the serial number (173059) and some searching I believe it's around a 1950 model. Got it for $13.99 and for the purpose of a decoration as I am not a trumpet player.

There is a bit of damage to the horn and some missing pieces (the screw things on the bottom of the valves. The valves come out of the horn but currently do not function properly.

My guess is the horn may be too damaged or just a run of the mill horn to really put any money into it to fix. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I should fix it and sell it to someone who would enjoy it, or just leave it as is and hang it on my wall as a decoration.

Thanks!

Here is a link to some pictures of it.

[url]https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArX1fX5b6pTMmU31IGYDNFo0yARt[/url]
Vrinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pictures in case anyone is interested. Thanks

[url]20190211_065701 by Vince Rinner, on Flickr[/url]

[url]20190211_065717 by Vince Rinner, on Flickr[/url]

[url]20190211_065726 by Vince Rinner, on Flickr[/url]
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin trumpet question Reply with quote

[quote="Vrinner"]I was at a thrift store this weekend and found this Martin trumpet. Looking at the serial number (173059) and some searching I believe it's around a 1950 model. Got it for $13.99 and for the purpose of a decoration as I am not a trumpet player.

There is a bit of damage to the horn and some missing pieces (the screw things on the bottom of the valves. The valves come out of the horn but currently do not function properly.

My guess is the horn may be too damaged or just a run of the mill horn to really put any money into it to fix. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I should fix it and sell it to someone who would enjoy it, or just leave it as is and hang it on my wall as a decoration.

Put on ebay and watch the fun - you will make money.
https://yourbrass.com/
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make a nice lamp.
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Imperial? Could be a cool player, and might not be as expensive to get fixed up as you think!
ACB 3CS
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def Trumpet wrote:
Martin Imperial? Could be a cool player, and might not be as expensive to get fixed up as you think!

That's along the lines of what I was thinking too.
Vrinner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
Def Trumpet wrote:

That's along the lines of what I was thinking too.

OK...I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least get an estimate on repair costs. I saw some horns on ebay for $600-$800. Maybe if I just put a little bit of money into someone who would enjoy playing this horn may get a really good bargain.

Do you horn players dig the "vintage" patina on horns or would it be better if I also had it all polished up and re-finished? I know that on some "antique" things it could be better to leave the rough look instead of making it look brand new.

Thanks again for the advice.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrinner wrote:

Do you horn players dig the "vintage" patina on horns or would it be better if I also had it all polished up and re-finished?

That would be a more personal thing. I'd probably just go with a basic cleanup first and see if you could just get it up and running. At that point you'd have a better idea of what your dealing with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: