• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody found a way to use Bluetooth with Silent Brass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianmcarey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Anybody found a way to use Bluetooth with Silent Brass? Reply with quote

Hi! I've been using the same early Yamaha Silent Brass unit for many years for nighttime practicing--I've tried other similar systems (including newer Yamahas up to their most recent model) but haven't found anything that works as well and has a comparable combination of decent sound, A/C power, and line in/out capability (I run a line from my laptop for playalongs, etc). The problem is the $&^% cords! They are such a nuisance and I am constantly yanking out either the mute pickup cord or the headphone cord inadvertently by turning the wrong way. (The mute cord seems especially susceptible to feedback, also.)

Since Yamaha seems to not have any interest in producing a cordless model (combined with A/C rather than battery power), I'm wondering about plugging in a Bluetooth transmitter (something like this) for at least the headphones if not the mute also (if possible). Has anybody tried this?

Thanks!
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this a few years ago with a bluetooth transmitter. It worked, but there was a noticeable lag in the sound that came through the headphones, which really ruined the experience. It may be that the new bluetooth specifications are better now, with better transmitters too.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delay (called "latency" in tech-speak) is a characteristic of Bluetooth's A2DP protocol. It can be almost a quarter of a second. Qualcomm's aptX protocol may address it, but you'd need both a transmitter and headset that support aptX.

So the simple answer is, no, ordinary consumer Bluetooth is not suitable for the application.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
ianmcarey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks. I may see if I can find some low-latency transmitters & headphones but that'd still leave the mute cord to deal with--what I really need is for some tech billionaire to take up the trumpet and decide to put some $ into developing a new rig that I can buy for $69.99 or something.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have the right equipment to your Bluetooth ideal work.

On a more serious note, if you find something that works, I'd love to hear about it.

Mike

Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
You need to have the right equipment to your Bluetooth ideal work.

On a more serious note, if you find something that works, I'd love to hear about it.

Mike

Do you know if this is a Bluetooth LE bell? I often get very tired while performing so a Low Energy Bluetooth might help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: