• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ChicagoSymmusicians authorize strike4March 10 ifno agreement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
It would be a lot easier to get rid of the management than 100 musicians. If you think fine musicians are a dime a dozen, ( think again), imagine how many managers are out there. I'd be curious what qualifications the CSO management actually have?

I sometimes find myself wishing there was a "like"-button on this forum...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
Irving wrote:
It would be a lot easier to get rid of the management than 100 musicians. If you think fine musicians are a dime a dozen, ( think again), imagine how many managers are out there. I'd be curious what qualifications the CSO management actually have?

I sometimes find myself wishing there was a "like"-button on this forum...

This is within the realm of possibilities, too. These are legitimate questions.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CSO really is a cut above most orchestras out there. Whether or not the average listener can discriminate the difference in quality is not the issue here. In a world in which bean counters are so quick to reduce every decision down to dollars and cents, where there is so little regard for quality, we need to celebrate an example of what every other orchestra should strive to be. Not every band can reach that level, but its mere presence elevates everyone else, because it shows what is possible - they are standard-bearers, worth fighting for. As expensive as it may be to maintain that level of excellence, it would be nearly impossible to try to duplicate it, or try to rebuild it if it is compromised.

Musicians are like anyone else - while we are devoted to our craft, we like creature comforts. It is nice being able to make long-term decisions like taking on a mortgage or car loan, or planning for retirement. We are all very aware of what peer orchestras are offering in terms of salary and benefits. If the CSO slips far enough behind (and they are well on their way), these excellent musicians will audition for and most likely win positions with other orchestras. The further the gap, the more of the membership will peal off. It used to be that orchestras like mine would lose people to the CSO, but in recent years we are seeing the opposite. From a selfish point of view, I am not complaining, because they are top-drawer players and great colleagues, but...

I understand as a businessman your perspective is different than mine, and I’m not naive enough to think that we can disregard the financial component and deficit spend. However, a much greater piece of the decision-making process needs to be devoted to quality of the product. Many of the folks that serve on the boards and in management are focused primarily on bottom line. The board folks are experts in whatever field made them rich, and unfortunately think that makes them experts in classical music, too. They often have very little understanding of what it took to get the CSO to where it is today, and assume that the widgets that run the machinery can be swapped in and out with the thousands of other widgets that are dying for jobs. There is a reason the other widgets are standing outside of Orchestra Hall rather than in it. It would be stupid to think that Chicago concert goers would be willing to pay the same for a compromised product. These are educated listeners that are spoiled from decades of music-making at the highest level. Cut the product? Be prepared to cut the price of admission.
JenTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do the members and employees of your “3 successful businesses” know that they don’t matter and can be replaced if it comes down to money issues?

And if you think that’s a ridiculous statement, then you understand some of our viewpoints.

Quote:
“Disclosure: I own three successful businesses and I'm the founder of an arts organization (jazz orchestra) that is currently celebrating its 43rd anniversary season. When I founded the organization a very influential person in the arts community who had observed me running a rehearsal wrote me a letter which said, among other things, "This band won't last 6 months and you have no tact!" Fortunately, he was only half correct.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenTrumpet wrote:
So do the members and employees of your “3 successful businesses” know that they don’t matter and can be replaced if it comes down to money issues?

Actually, that's pretty normal. Where I work its beat into you regularly. We just dropped thousands of employees in one state and will replace them with about 50% more in another.

The thing is, there is a very significant difference between a business that relies on the artistry of performers, and one that relies on bodies that can stand upright and push a button occasionally.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: does the CSO participate in the AFM combined pension or do they have their own fund? If they participate in the AFM pension, maybe it's a good idea for them to pull out of that seeing as how they've been sending out an email every two weeks for the last 2 years with an update about how it's in "catastrophic failure" lol.

Also, yes, there are plenty of talented and experienced players who would be happy to play for >$160k plus full benefits but NONE of them are going to cross a picket line. There's enough talent to form an entirely new top orchestra, but it wouldn't be the CSO, it would be an unrelated ensemble. The process of setting up this new ensemble would be extremely expensive and time consuming, much more so than fair negotiations with the current musicians.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they aren’t putting out ads on Craigslist for scabs like the Louisville Orchestra did a while back. A scab orchestra would be a disaster.

Saving money isn’t always a good business decision. If you ran one of the finest restaurants in the world and very publicly switched to canned ingredients, the savings might end up hurting the bottom line. In many fields, there’s money in being the best and money in being the cheapest but not always money in being the okayist.

I honestly find it preposterous that any of the top orchestras in the world would hit dire financial times outside of a major recession. The CSO is maybe the most famous orchestra in the world; if you can’t sell that maybe you need to find a new line of work. I’m sure the new tax laws have made it tougher to get donations, but I’m also sure a creative management team for one of the greatest orchestras in the world can find a way to make it work without hurting the quality of the orchestra.

Once the market starts regularly saying those players are worth more elsewhere, the orchestra will take a huge step back. Vosburgh said something similar when he retired from Pittsburgh.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayV wrote:
Question: does the CSO participate in the AFM combined pension or do they have their own fund? If they participate in the AFM pension, maybe it's a good idea for them to pull out of that seeing as how they've been sending out an email every two weeks for the last 2 years with an update about how it's in "catastrophic failure" lol.

I believe they have their own defined-benefit plan. The AFM plan is a disaster, but if you're in, you're in. The penalties for opting out are tens of millions of dollars (unless you pull a Philadelphia and use bankruptcy to shed your obligation).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Don't you think that if they open up all the chairs for auditions they'll have a gazillion applicants who will be happy to accept the current offer and out of those gazillion applicants they will be able to form a great orchestra?

No.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenTrumpet wrote:

And if you think that’s a ridiculous statement, then you understand some of our viewpoints.

Quote:
“Disclosure: I own three successful businesses and I'm the founder of an arts organization (jazz orchestra) that is currently celebrating its 43rd anniversary season. When I founded the organization a very influential person in the arts community who had observed me running a rehearsal wrote me a letter which said, among other things, "This band won't last 6 months and you have no tact!" Fortunately, he was only half correct.

I do think it's a ridiculous statement as well as being highly assumptive/presumptive without any foundation whatsoever. That being said, I do understand your viewpoints as well as your concerns.

We have always been extremely loyal to our employees. We have never, in 39 years, laid off an employee as a cost saving measure even when business seriously declined during the 2008 recession. We have had several instances in which a valued employee was simply not a good fit for their assigned job and instead of terminating the employee we created new jobs for them which better fit their skills.

If you're looking for an ungrateful and tyrannical employer who shows no loyalty to employees and has no understanding or appreciation for the service, dedication, skill and loyalty of its employees you've picked a very poor example with any of my businesses.

We've given money to employees multiple times to help them pay for emergency expenses. We've allowed employees who have separated from their spouses to live rent free in a property we own until they could get their finances stabilized. We co-signed a $38,000 promissory note to help an employee consolidate their credit card debt so they were paying a bank 4% interest instead of paying the credit card companies 28%. The foregoing is the tip of a very large iceberg.

Going the other direction, we've had many employees steal from us, a large number of employees who seriously neglected their job duties and an even larger number of employees that thought they knew how to run our businesses better than we did and who were very vocal and disruptive to company morale in that regard and very ungrateful for the opportunities we provided them. What was their value to the businesses and what should we should have done with them?

Management and employees are mutually dependent on one another. There needs to be give and take on both sides of the isle in order for the relationship to remain harmonious. However, each side has the right to draw a line in the sand and all viewpoints should be respected with civility.

Where there is disagreement, taking action which is intended to damage the business is not, in my view, a prudent strategy for anyone. As a famous Chinese philosopher once said, "He who seeks revenge digs two graves." The expression has survived for almost 3,000 years because the expression has proven to be a wise observation.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading these threads sometimes make me despair of what the Trumpetherald has become...

Its only occasional posts from wonderful players and, very rare, posts from genuinely serious and contentious students that keep me on this site. And they seem to be drying up by the day; which is undoubtedly in part due to the ever-decreasing levels of discussion on these forums.

Can't we manage better than this?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Reading these threads sometimes make me despair of what the Trumpetherald has become...

Its only occasional posts from wonderful players and, very rare, posts from genuinely serious and contentious students that keep me on this site. And they seem to be drying up by the day; which is undoubtedly in part due to the ever-decreasing levels of discussion on these forums.

You are a major contributor to the very problems of which you complain. Virtually every post you make starts out with a "holier than thou" judgmental personal criticism of some other poster. You shouldn't be lecturing about civility to anyone.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
LSOfanboy wrote:

You are a major contributor to the very problems of which you complain. Virtually every post you make starts out with a "holier than thou" judgmental personal criticism of some other poster. You shouldn't be lecturing about civility to anyone.

Um.. moderators???
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will become of the principal trumpet audition they just announced?

Presumably will be delayed?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
What will become of the principal trumpet audition they just announced?

Presumably will be delayed?

I was considering throwing my hat in the ring but am now reconsidering.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audience has been old since the current old audience was young. Old people like the symphony, but young people tend to get old. The audience is there - some of the articles have mentioned record sales in recent years by the CSO.
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
The audience has been old since the current old audience was young. Old people like the symphony, but young people tend to get old. The audience is there - some of the articles have mentioned record sales in recent years by the CSO.

Time magazine was beating the drum about this in 1969. The industry needs constant TLC and revitalization, but dumbing it down and displacing quality in favor of cheapness isn't going to get the job done. Not everyone appreciates the finer things, but those who do will value them highly, and many will know when they become less fine.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What percentage of the total annual budget of the CSO is funded by ticket sales?
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: