• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Ultimate Marching Trumpet - in need of a bit of advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joeisaacs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: King Ultimate Marching Trumpet - in need of a bit of advise Reply with quote

Band director upgraded my horn from an Allura student horn to a King Ultimate Marching Trumpet. It’s got a lot of miles on it but I’m really enjoying it so far.

The serial # is 180434. Anyone happen to know anything about this piece? Curious to know approximate vintage. Also, it’s in need of a tune up I think. It sounds a bit airy and not quite as solid as a tone as I was getting on the Allura. Any thought? Also it’s been dropped and has a small dent on the Pipe (where the bell meets the #3 valve) and a couple others.. Not really sure how to asses if the dents should be repaired or not.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: King Ultimate Marching Trumpet - in need of a bit of adv Reply with quote

Joeisaacs wrote:
Band director upgraded my horn from an Allura student horn to a King Ultimate Marching Trumpet. It’s got a lot of miles on it but I’m really enjoying it so far.

The serial # is 180434. Anyone happen to know anything about this piece? Curious to know approximate vintage. Also, it’s in need of a tune up I think. It sounds a bit airy and not quite as solid as a tone as I was getting on the Allura. Any thought? Also it’s been dropped and has a small dent on the Pipe (where the bell meets the #3 valve) and a couple others.. Not really sure how to asses if the dents should be repaired or not.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Sounds like it could use some basic cleaning/maintenance. If it sounds “airy”, you might have a leaky water key, probably the cork. That’s easily fixed, if the valves are worn, maybe a heavier valve oil, like Herman’s Classic would help.

Especially if it’s a school owned horn, it probably needs a good internal cleaning, ultrasonic, done by a repair shop, or at least an internal cleaning by you. I have detailed instructions on doing that if you’re not sure how to do that, PM me if you like.
If you have a local repair shop, removing the dents might be a good idea, if the horn is owned by the school hopefully they would cover the costs.

Brad
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above: get the slide dings fixed and the horn thoroughly cleaned.

After the Cyborg assimilated King, everything changed. The "Ultimate Marching" series of horns was developed under the King name to try to get a piece of the DCI market, since these schools usually purchased entire sets of matching horns.

The horn was probably manufactured after 2001, as the Cyborg re-assigned all serial numbers about that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: