• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ebay buyer won't pay for Holton 602 trumpet.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: ebay buyer won't pay for Holton 602 trumpet. Reply with quote

I sold a Holton 602 trumpet on ebay on February 12th, buyer still hasn't paid. He was the sole bidder and he has a 100 % rating. After two days ebay sent him a notice to pay. I sent him an invoice and daily remainders. If he doesn't pay by Monday, will have to relist trumpet.

This is the second time in a years time, a buyer with a 100% rating hasn't paid for a trumpet I was selling.

What is up with that?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the buyer is aware. The EBay sumary page has a nasty habit of not showing unpaid opens.

After that, it happens. Buyers remorse is a real thing and if you are sure the buyer knows and is blowing you off, all you can do is move on. In some situations, "second chance offer" is another channel to ease the stress of another restart.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Ebay punish a winning bidder who doesn't send payment somehow?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Doesn't Ebay punish a winning bidder who doesn't send payment somehow?

Last I was aware they get a non-paying bidder strike but sellers can't leave negative feedback.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Nonpayment Reply with quote

If you don't get paid by Mon, Feb 18, 2019 11:22:19 PST, we'll give you a final value fee credit and automatically relist your item. The buyer will get an unpaid item recorded on their account. Then I will block his account.

No mention of adding negative ratings. So, that is how someone can maintain a 100% rating on ebay. Another one of ebay' s loopholes. Ran into two of ebay's loopholes this month. Found out fixed rate shipping doesn't limit overseas shipping.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is too bad. I have had dead beat bidders before, unfortunately all I could do was start a dispute and relist the item after a acouple weeks.

More recently, few months ago, I paid for a horn, from flugelfries (a Taylor Packer Rocket), that I never received. I know it’s a hassle, but Just realist it. I’m still trying to recover my funds, but that will never happen.

Recently I was high bidder on a Schilke B1 on eBay. When I paid for it I got an immediate message form PayPal stating the seller had no PayPal account. This happened previously in another transaction. Since I had been burned once I asked the seller to cancel the transaction. You may be lucky this is as far as it has progressed, unless you already shipped the horn.

I have recently sold 2 horns using TH, it’s still risky, but way less than using Craig’s List. I get nothing but unwanted fraudulent solicitation from CL. I may not get the price I’d like to get on TH, but I don’t have to pay the eBay charges and I usually get to talk trumpet with the buyer or seller.

On eBay I have had my share of dead beat bidders, ridiculous questions and requests, and disappointments.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nonpayment Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
If you don't get paid by Mon, Feb 18, 2019 11:22:19 PST, we'll give you a final value fee credit and automatically relist your item. The buyer will get an unpaid item recorded on their account. Then I will block his account.

No mention of adding negative ratings. So, that is how someone can maintain a 100% rating on ebay. Another one of ebay' s loopholes. Ran into two of ebay's loopholes this month. Found out fixed rate shipping doesn't limit overseas shipping.

The way ebay works these days you can only give a positive or no feedback. The problem was sellers would use feedback extortion - you neg me I'll neg you - to maintain an artificially high rating. So eBay decided to take that ability away from sellers. Many sellers complained bitterly but ebay decided that was the most fair thing to do.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EBay account is set to relist if auctions are not paid within three days. There is also the option to send an offer to the person who bid the second highest amount. They call this “second chance”. My BIN items are set to require immediate payment. I have found that this avoids a lot of extra work.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t want to upset anyone or cause confrontation; but is this sort of thread really what this site is about?

In my opinion, we’re here to talk about the trumpet, performers, technique, equipment and share stories of trumpet-playing experiences. Not discuss eBay protocol... if you are having issues with an eBay bidder, take it up with eBay’s very large customer service department, not on a trumpet discussion forum.

All the best
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relevance of this thread is itself a relevant topic. But, if it doesn't interest you there is a very easy option - don't bother reading. . .

Placing this topic under horns is indeed appropriate. The loss of local music stores with inventory you could go in and play different horns and see what worked for you are gone. But just as with refining technique, and exploring/developing our musicality further as players, the search for equipment that will facilitate our growth as players is never-ending (the history of the instrument since the dawn of time is one of changing, arguably advancing, technology, so something "better" will always be possible tomorrow). For most folks who are not burdened with excess cash (and how many loaded trumpet players do you know?), selling the no-longer used to pay for the latest is a financial necessity and just as EBay is the "store" with the broadest selection for what's next, it is the most practical means frequently to realize best price for what must go. As such, dealing with EBay is, today, an essential part of the trumpet (or instrumentalist) experience.

Do I like that? Do I like dealing with hassles like that the OP is facing? not really. I like a store with horns on the wall calling to me to try them, but its a fact of life just like drilling technique - unpleasant, but essential to improving.

Any help we can offer each other with such collateral pain helps the next guy become a better player.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
I don’t want to upset anyone or cause confrontation; but is this sort of thread really what this site is about?

In my opinion, we’re here to talk about the trumpet, performers, technique, equipment and share stories of trumpet-playing experiences. Not discuss eBay protocol... if you are having issues with an eBay bidder, take it up with eBay’s very large customer service department, not on a trumpet discussion forum.

All the best

Even though I've never made a bid on eBay or placed an item to be sold, I saw the title of this thread and opened it. I came back the following day to read more. The bottom line: I was interested in this topic and learned something.

There are way more threads on TH that I don't open based on the title than the ones I do open. I'm not concerned that those exist simply because they are not of interest to me.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Placing this topic under horns is indeed appropriate.

I beg to differ. This thread should be in the lounge or in reveille since it is about eBay sales, not discussing trumpets themselves.

But in the end it is up to the moderators and my opinion really doesn’t matter.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: got paid Reply with quote

Buyer paid today. Transferred from paypal to my bank account. Will send out,when payment is in my bank account.

Thank you all for insights and comments.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Glad it worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: