• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson be1000 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ep1cus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Besson be1000 questions Reply with quote

Hello,
So I’ve had this Besson be1000 that I’ve been taking outdoors (marching band, pep bands, dci, etc) for a few years now and I’m looking for an upgrade. Sure it’s a student horn but the valves are pretty amazing and the bell seems to be good quality (5” gold brass). I already have a great concert trumpet, a courtois evolution 1, so I’m looking for something more suitable for commercial/ pep band playing. Would I be fine with a lead pipe swap or should I just sell the horn and get something better?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Besson be1000 questions Reply with quote

Ep1cus wrote:
So I’ve had this Besson be1000 ...Would I be fine with a lead pipe swap or should I just sell the horn and get something better?

I have a Besson 1000 and feel it's a great horn period. I reached this conclusion after a totally random encounter with one in the used horn section at a local music store, had never even heard of the model before. I tried it on a whim and my reaction was - whoa.

Do you feel like you actually play better on your other horn? Do you think anyone could tell the difference in a blind comparison?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Ep1cus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Besson be1000 questions Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Ep1cus wrote:
So I’ve had this Besson be1000 ...Would I be fine with a lead pipe swap or should I just sell the horn and get something better?

I have a Besson 1000 and feel it's a great horn period. I reached this conclusion after a totally random encounter with one in the used horn section at a local music store, had never even heard of the model before. I tried it on a whim and my reaction was - whoa.

Do you feel like you actually play better on your other horn? Do you think anyone could tell the difference in a blind comparison?

My trumpet professor seems to think so. I definitely feel better on my Courtois, then again that horn is 3 times the price so...
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Besson be1000 questions Reply with quote

Ep1cus wrote:
... so I’m looking for something more suitable for commercial/ pep band playing. ...

--------------------------
If the 'commercial' playing will actually pay you money, and the Besson is limiting the amount of 'paying work' that you get - then yes, get the right 'tool' for the job.

If the playing is non-paying, then why bother? If you're auditioning for a professional (paying) job, again YES, use equipment that is appropriate.

If the playing is for a school function, then perhaps the school should provide suitable equipment.

Many people are happy to tell you how to spend YOUR money. You've got to determine whether it would be good for you.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a horn appropriate for Pep Band: Anything that plays the notes and the valves move up and down - preferably something inexpensive and durable (Olds Ambassador, King Tempo/600, etc, any good student trumpet) - but almost anything will do.

Seriously.

I like my Benge for commercial-ish stuff (which I rarely do). I also like it for everything.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: