• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GRuser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Wedge mouthpieces Reply with quote

I ordered and received a Wedge (Harrison) 66MDV. It feels pretty good and does help with both range and endurance. I could immediately tell that my sound was going to suffer a little when playing it compared to my Schilke M1D. Anyone else have experience with Wedge and thoughts about finding the sweet spot where sound is not severely sacrificed for greater endurance and range? Rim size, cup size and shape, etc.?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 65MD and my experience is just the opposite. I love the cup and how much fuller, warmer and sweeter it has made my tone. I can't say it improved my range, but flexibility is better and my endurance has increased by at least 30 minutes. I had been playing a Bach 5 series of mps but 3 lip injuries from over-playing last year led me to the Wedge. No injuries now.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
walldaja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big a difference is your Wedge from your previous mpc?

I presume you have properly aligned the mpc with the high points of the rim at the 0 and 180 degree points (assuming 0 is the top of your horn). I find a little misalignment is no big deal; but, if it is off pretty far the sound suffers. Make sure you only apply enough pressure to prevent air from escaping from between your lips and the mpc and work on soft long tones slowly building in intensity. If that doesn't do the trick contact Dr Dave and ask his recommendations.

I changed from a Stork 2B to an early Wedge 1.25 eleven years ago and love them. I don't use them on my trombones or euphonium though I tried.

Best wishes.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you play wedge and normal mouthpieces at the same time? I mean like swap between, not play at exact same time!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompette111 wrote:
Can you play wedge and normal mouthpieces at the same time? I mean like swap between, not play at exact same time!

I can and others apparently do, too, but for me the Wedge is delivering everything I need and want in a mouthpiece, so I have no reason to switch back and forth.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
GRuser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a number of mouthpieces over the years. Most recently I have been playing a Schilke M1D, big mouthpiece but surprisingly I got around on it pretty well and the sound is magnificent. I bought the 66MDV Wedge after talking with Dr. Dave at Harrison. I noticed that the sound was not nearly as 'rich' as with the M1D. It did extend my range and endurance quite a bit. I talked to Dr. Dave again and he is shipping me a 67MDV. He thinks that I went a little too small. We'll see what happens. I was at the Schilke facility in Melrose Park a week ago looking at C trumpets. I tried a M3* mouthpiece and got the range and endurance I was looking for without sacrificing much sound. I will compare that with the new Wedge which will arrive in a few weeks. Chances are that I will be returning both of the Wedge mouthpieces but I'm going to at least give the 67MDV a good tryout.

Always on the lookout for the perfect match of horn, mouthpiece and me. )

P.S. I can switch pretty easily between Wedge and the Schilke mouthpieces.
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so interesting! Are there any wedge shops situated in Germany?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: