• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Freshen Up Smelly Case!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Freshen Up Smelly Case! Reply with quote

Received a nice Courtois Cornet (50's?) and the case is kind of smelly. Any good methods to freshen up the mildewy smell??

Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An internet search is your best friend.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62656

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kehaulani... I'm off to Walmart tomorrow!!
NOISEMAKER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Smelly Cse Reply with quote

A nice new Protec Cornet case with room for accessories
can be had for under a $100 bucks.
In the end you will be much happier.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've never had any success getting rid of moldy musty-ness in old cases. I've had success with the horns, but not the cases. In fact, you just need to clean the horn, let it air out a lot, and not put it back in the musty case.

As far as the case, I've tried most of the methods discussed in the forum. Some of them work kind-of. Sunshine is pretty effective, but if you close it up again, it's there again after a short time. In the end, I find a dumpster and new case is the best solution. I have mold allergies, I don't need the old case more than feeling healthy.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Freshen Up Smelly Case! Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
Received a nice Courtois Cornet (50's?) and the case is kind of smelly. Any good methods to freshen up the mildewy smell??

Thanks!

Yep....the nearest dumpster. Seriously, as Crazy Finn said, a decent new case is relatively inexpensive, personally I would not mess around trying to de-stink an old one.

Brad
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dryer sheets...you know, the kind you put in the dryer with clothes...they work well for freshening up a case, even an old musty/moldy one..throw 2 or 3 of 'em in the case, close it up, and in a day or so, you will have a MUCH better smelling case. Yeah, you can leave the horn in with them. I have used this trick many times on old smelly cases.
jhl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I somehow posted on an old thread, from 2007, which by the way had good info if you want to work with the case rather than toss it. The pet urine odor sprays do work very well (URINE GONE is what we have from an old cat who gave up on the litter box). One poster recommended closing the case after spraying to prevent evaporation and keep the enzymes working longer. I also find a strongly scented Fabreze spray will help cover up any odor that lingers after the enzyme treatment (won't work for overpowering smells). I keep the case open in my dry garage for months, periodically spraying the Fabreze. Works well enough to keep the trumpet in the offending case, and I have a pretty sensitive nose.

Here's link to previous posts:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62656
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2010, I got an older style protec case that just reeked of cigar smoke. I think John Mills at Trumpet Trader gave it to me for free, just to get it out of his shop.

I sprayed it with some white vinegar and left it out in the sun for a few days...Worked like a charm! Still using that case today, no cigar smell that I can detect.

Mildew may be another story, however. Good luck.

johnlakejazz.com
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was planning on picking up a multi-horn case at some point but I bought a product called 'Urine Gone' ( as seen on tv) that has seemed to work fairly well. Also threw some dryer sheets in there. Won't have any usable 'Sun' here for awhile so I'll probably hit it with another dose of the Urine Gone in a few days too! Certainly a LOT better than it was!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the dryer sheets really get rid of the mold and mildew, they just cover it up.

Anyway, good luck.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for repeal & replace. It's not worth the effort to try and remove the odor from old cases.

Not only that, a new case will most likely be far more protective to your horn, last longer and be far more functional!!!

Yeah, I did that!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Febreeze and sunshine would be my first guess. Sunlight really does help kill mold and mildew. If you're feeling brave you could try carpet cleaning treatment of some type... (I also like the other products suggested here, especially for pets.)
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep this short, basically you need a way to eliminate Mildew from the case, you should buy a Mold and Mildew Spray from your local pharmacy and maybe a disinfectant spray with a "scent" for a second coating.

Exposure to sunlight in 85 degree and up weather can kill mildew, I actually suggest you use both the Mold and Mildew Spray and the Disinfectant spray along with 85 degree sunlight for a very effective way to remove Mildew and then the smell that lingers from it.

I've done this to a few of my cases in the summer and they lost the smell completely and I feel that they're safe for an instrument to be in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: