• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Practice Mute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbialkin98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I’m going to try out the Pampet mute and I’ll post back with my thoughts.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pampet and I think it's a good starter practice mute. (I also tried an ultra-cheap ebay one from china that was horrible and now have settled on the shhmmute, which is my favorite.)

Stanton's comment about the Pampet mute's vibrations is something I've experienced, but to me it had more of the old-car-going-too-fast shimmy feel. I feel like the Pampet is as quiet as the Shmmute but it seems to cause more vibration in the hand.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
I really like the Wallace Studio Practice Mute. Wallace makes a smaller one but many practice mutes that I've had tend to get flaky in the intonation.

For me, the Wallace is as quiet as it gets without really hurting with back-pressure problems. I've played it in Hotel rooms and then went to dinner with people in the next room (closest) to mine and asked them, "Did you hear me practice my trumpet? I did use a practice mute..." They've always been shocked that it would be so quite that with no tv, no music - they still could not hear me practice at all. Great mute - bought used here at TH.

Here's a video with a few practice mutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-11x_sz4Bo

hello
totally agree with Jonathan. I've been using it daily for 4 years. There's a resistor too.
Pay attention to your aperture, don't pinch the lips, don't close the aperture, don't overblow and all will be fine
best
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the BestBrass practice mute, as well as the one from Denis Wick and the Sshhmute.
The latter is my favorite; the BestBrass I find too restrictive and the Wick is not in tune
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For warming up at rehearsals I use a straight mute with a rag wrapped around it. Good enough for not bothering the violin players
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Manuel, I only use Sshh mutes, sold everything else.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Yamaha SB7X (the newer model) about 4 years ago and never looked back. Alone it is a great warm-up mute before and during performances and it does fit flush in my trumpet bell so no extra space is needed. I do use the electronics portion whenever I travel, which is a lot, often with my wife nearby watching TV or reading. It is great for woodshedding parts if you attach an iPad or iPhone and headphones and dial yourself into the sound for balance. No complaints here at all but a "heads up" to be aware of not overblowing. Just balance your sound into your audio source and it works fine, much like a stage monitor. I use Sennheiser ear buds or Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones depending on where I am and how much space I have. The SB7X is a little pricey, but worth the $$ for versatility!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
StephenVannevel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Silent Brass Hands Down!
StricklandMusic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Clary Wood Mutes Practice Mute. It is not as small as best brass but has fantastic intonation between Low C and High C with little added resistance. AND its only $75!!! Great value!

https://www.woodmutes.com/practice-mute
www.gregblackmouthpieces.com
www.eastcoasttrumpets.com
www.vanlaartrumpets.nl
1 (980)-277-8195
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StricklandMusic wrote:
Check out Clary Wood Mutes
https://www.woodmutes.com/practice-mute

They sure look nicer than than a hunk of plastic!
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best practice mute I have ever used is the Wallace Studio Mute. I had the luxury of trying all of the Wallace mutes one day and liked most of them, but this is the one that absolutely shined:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/wallace_twc_m17_trpt_practice_studio.htm

Imagine the softest Harmon mute possible, that's it. The pitch is very even between all the registers with little back pressure (unlike some harmons). I can take it to my parent's condo and practice anything from soft etudes to a Mahler Symphony - you can really crank if need be. The loudest it gets is an intense (around 'p') soft buzz.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered a Pampet... but now I'm thinking I should get a Yamaha rig too!!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Pampet showed up today! Thanks to 'Stanton' for the recommendation.

Did a quick comparison with the SshhMute... I agree with HaveTrumpetWillTravel in that it's about the same volume reduction as the Sshhmute. The back pressure on the Pampet feels more natural to me, intonation is better and I like the tone it produces better than the SshhMute. Sshhmute is more midrangy and the pampet has a fuller sound.( Using a Harmon mute for comparison... Sshh is closer to 'plunger thing' IN... Pampet is closer to 'plunger thing' OUT... is there a name for the 'plunger thing' btw?? ). I would say at this point, I enjoy playing the Pampet more than Sshh and at $17.99 shipped to my door it's quite a bargain!

Silent brass should be here by week's end.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Favorites Reply with quote

Bill Dishman was an excellent trumpeter, and a very analytical person. His practice mute reviews were the definitive guide. Sadly, Bill passed last year, far too young. He will be sorely missed by the Gainesville community and the UF Alumni Band, as well as his many friends throughout the music world.

I have a variety of practice mutes and swap them out regularly at home, just to vary resistance points and areas of compromised intonation. The one I take on gigs is my own Remutzit, super light and an all around good performer. I always have Matt Anklan’s Silencer in my mouthpiece pouch, it’s great when you have a Harmon available, which in my case is always! I ordered the Best Brass Nano from Trent out of curiosity.

Others in the rotation are the Wallace Studio, the Bremner ssshhhh, and a Windy City copper cup mute with a spare Jo-Ral Tri-Tone felt ring in it. For flugel I use a Dillon trombone practice mute, their dead ringer of the Best Brass aluminum. It’s very compact compared to others, like the massive Bremner ssshhhh for flugel!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified my Pampet with an extra ring of stick-on foam around the 'mid section so now it doubles as a Flugelhorn mute and it works just as good as it does on the trumpet!

I also got a Silent Brass rig for trumpet and have so far been disappointed with the intonation on it. I tried it on my Courtois Cornet and it's pretty much unusable... However I also ordered a Flugelhorn mute for the Silent Brass rig and THAT works WAY better so I've been having fun with that!!

I'm planning on doing more experimentation with the trumpet to see if I can find a way to make it bearable.
supercow216

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have myself bought the Pampet mute from Amazon. I find the sound soft and very pleasing, It has identical itonnation shift but less resistance than Sshhhmute.

My concern is the cheap foam to connect the mute to the horn, instead of cork. With moist, it bound to tear away very fast.

Can anyone tell about this mute's durability? anyone has replaced the foam with cork stripe?

stanton wrote:
It just so happens that I just bought one more practice mute... and this one is the best one I own (I think I have 4 or 5 or 6including Yamaha Silent Brass, ProTec and a bunch of others. It is called the Pampet mute.

link

I was at a student's home last Sunday and saw this strange looking mute on the table. The dad is a trumpet player too and I don't know how he found this one. But I had to try it... and wow. SO little resistance. It is probably the first mute I can practice with.

It's not as quiet as some others, but quiet enough for most situations. But what I found scaringly interesting was that I could feel not only feel the pitches slot well, but I could feel the response of the trumpet in my hands! I don't think I feel that much vibration without a mute.

The plastic seems to have multiple densities throughout and a plastic washer-like thing on the front. It's about the size of a Denis Wick straight mute so not large or small. It is also very light weight so you really don't feel it pulling the bell down as much as other mutes. And $18.. way cheaper than others.

If you don't need super quiet I would tell you to take a shot with this one.

I am still learning!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercow216 wrote:

Can anyone tell about this mute's durability? anyone has replaced the foam with cork stripe?

I'm still loving this mute! I usually DO give a little 'hot breath' into the bell routine and haven't had a problems with the foam. I bought another to keep in my travel bag and also just bought 2 more for gifts to a few of my trumpet playing friends. Did I say I LOVE this thing??!!!
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very impressed with the Silencer, which inserts into a bubble mute:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/the-trumpet-silencer-practice-mute-accessory-turn-your-harmon-into-a-practice-mute/

HTH

Ben
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/the-trumpet-silencer-practice-mute-accessory-turn-your-harmon-into-a-practice-mute/

HTH

Ben

+1
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
benlewis wrote:

HTH

Ben

+1

I use the same system for years but then self-made. I use a cork of a wine bottle, cut to fit the Jo Ral Bubble stem entrance and I drilled a nine mm hole in it. Very cheap and works perfect with a diffuse soft tone and thanks to the big hole no real added resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: