• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Regent cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: The Regent cornet Reply with quote

I have the opportunity (?) to buy a The Regent cornet, made by Ohio Band Inst. (Olds/Reynolds) in great condition. It's the one with the single brace in the wrap. I am not shure about three things: the playability, the sound and the price. Asking price is 375 euro, about 425 US dollar. What do the experts think?

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1378533507
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks suspicously like a trumpet!....how much of the length is conical?...on a real cornet the leadpipe is about 300mm to 350mm, or from the mpc to the waterkey. What srt of sound do you need?...what are you going to use it for?....why not buy a 'cornet' and join a good band?...there are many in Holland.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money for a student instrument. I'm assuming you haven't played it first, so the condition is in question. Would you be okay with having to rebuild the valves if needed?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the market for used brass instruments in Europe, but in Minnesota, that horn should go for between $50-150 on craigslist.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s too much. A better horn at a price even with shipping from the US would be the King Master offered by Jon Arnold in the TH Marketplace.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
deleted_user_5ac02d6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Regent cornet Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I have the opportunity (?) to buy a The Regent cornet, made by Ohio Band Inst. (Olds/Reynolds) in great condition. It's the one with the single brace in the wrap. I am not shure about three things: the playability, the sound and the price. Asking price is 375 euro, about 425 US dollar. What do the experts think?

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1378533507

NO! Far over priced. I tried an Ohio Regent trumpet vintage in great shape about 2 years ago. It was not worth the $170. It eventually sold on ebay for about $120. The bore size or just the leadpipe narrow construction was a stuffy resistance not recommended. When I tried to open up to a high volume it wouldn't become bold. I haven't tried a Regent cornet yet it is probably similar to their trumpet.
Try an Olds Ambassador cornet get one on ebay. Or try a much more renowned brand for $400 plus you can get an excellent horn. Maybe a more recent one so that the valves aren't as much a worry. Getzen and Conn valves are usually great in my experience. Olds last yet I've seen some with tarnish rust, ask to see photos of the valves.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the well-meant comments but I am afraid I mean something else.
I am not really searching for an instrument as my main player. I own two Henri Selmer trumpets of which the Concept TT is my main axe. Also a Yamaha 6345 for multi purpose. Then I own a rotary flügel and five cornets of which a Getzen Eterna 800 is my daily practice horn. Further a 36A (that for the King Master) an 80A, an Ambassador and a Belgium Van Engelen. Oh I almost forgot the two pockets.
I love the different shapes of cornets and the The Regent is a weird cornet in trumpet shape which I like. I know that Ohio Band Instruments was a student line of Reynolds and that this one is from the after Foster days. But the horn in this case looks in mint condition and if the valves are of the same quality as the Olds valves I don't have to worry about that. And I am not at all willing to have the valves rebuilt. In general the student instruments of that era (fifties) are mostly built like pro instruments, in fact that was my question. I also know that the asking price is much too high but I am not sure how much too much. I offered the seller 155 euro which is about 175 US dollar. Before buying I will try the horn, the seller lives close to me but I don't want to give him the idea now that I am interested in the horn for his asking price.
On ebay is an offer of the same Regent cornet in crap condition for 90 dollars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Brass-Regent-Trumpet-Cornet-from-the-Ohio-Band-Instrument-Company-/302217383123
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from your original questions, playability, sound and price, it has been answered - but just to reiterate: Plays like a student horn, sterile non-cornet sound, and wow that's too much! But, if you are looking for a unique piece for a collection, what the Regent cornet lacks in playability, it offsets in viewability. Regents are instantly recognizable. The aesthetic is unique and would certainly add interest to a collection on display (at a lower price...)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bach-Mercury-cornet/132954510601?hash=item1ef4b4d509:g:NjQAAOSwQFhcZv03

Here’s where I’d look for that particular wrap
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I fell for the looks and can/could not imagine that a well built horn like the Regent should be a (less than?) mediocre instrument.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Negotiate the price Reply with quote

After you play the Regent, set the price you want to play.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Regent Reply with quote

Delano , your question appears to be one of " is this a good value of a collectible nature ? " I will ask ,For investment ? Or just personal ? Most posts seem to reflect the way an instrument plays (value) as their main focus . Thats understandable . The instrument appears to be in good external condition for its age . Unless you just want a wall mount, which I really doubt, ask to see some pix of the valves as another poster has advised . If it plays well, you should be satisfied with your purchase for you personally seem to be sold on its look primarily and its playing somewhat secondary Regards
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Delano. Read your post. I have a Regent long cornet, circa 1939 in fantastic condition. I love the sound. So, did you purchase it & if so, how do you like it?
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Delano. Read your post. I have a Regent long cornet, circa 1939 in fantastic condition. I love the sound. So, did you purchase it & if so, how do you like it?
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:

I believe Delano decided to take a break from the forum a while back. You might be able to reach him via a PM.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: