• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback player story...sharper, smaller rim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surcouf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
I can 'DIG' it!!

The only musical instrument I've ever dug up is a mouth harp, but if I ever do uncover a horn I'll know what I'm looking at!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, welcome.

I played a Bach 5A in high school symphonic band, and a 10 1/2C for marching band, biggest difference I noticed was my attacks and intonation were a lot cleaner on the 5A, endurance and range was better on the 10 1/2C.

Every mouthpiece is a compromise to gain something, but you have to give something else up in trade.

I play something different now, what it is is irrelevant to the discussion. However, try different stuff, find what works, what doesn't, what you like and what you don't.

At the entry level there are a ton other things that you will be developing, for the next year just pick one mouthpiece and stick with it, until there is something you keep trying to improve, that just won't get better. FWIW, regarding upper range and endurance, found a smaller diameter (such as your 10.5C) helped, but also a more rounded inner rim helped as well. It also helped a ton (for me, your experience might be different) with endurance.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Surcouf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an as update:

I've been practicing about 4-5 times a week when not traveling since my last post back in March, and have experimented with a few different method books. I bought Larry' Clark's "I used to Play: Trumpet" and have found that a good, accessible book for warmups and tunes to practice.

I have been playing the Blessing 10.5C on my '64 Olds Special trumpet pretty much exclusively since my last post, and have been noticing some modest improvements in tone/range/endurance as I get more hours under my belt. I am now thoroughly familiar with this mouthpiece, so I'll stick with it until further notice. I have plenty to work on with regards to my technique...lessons would be nice, someday, when I have the time. But for now I'm just playing.

Thanks again to all who replied!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surcouf wrote:
Just an as update:

I've been practicing about 4-5 times a week when not traveling since my last post back in March, and have experimented with a few different method books. I bought Larry' Clark's "I used to Play: Trumpet" and have found that a good, accessible book for warmups and tunes to practice.

I have been playing the Blessing 10.5C on my '64 Olds Special trumpet pretty much exclusively since my last post, and have been noticing some modest improvements in tone/range/endurance as I get more hours under my belt. I am now thoroughly familiar with this mouthpiece, so I'll stick with it until further notice. I have plenty to work on with regards to my technique...lessons would be nice, someday, when I have the time. But for now I'm just playing.

Thanks again to all who replied!
That should go on a sign in everyone's practice space.
Surcouf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREAD UPDATE: I figured I'd post back here to reflect on what I wrote when I started this thread. I can't believe I started my "comeback" almost two years ago...that went fast!

I'm happy to report I've stuck with it, playing mostly on my own, though over the coronavirus lockdown this past summer I did have the benefit of a few months of group lessons with a professional over videoconference.

When I left off this thread I was planning to stick with the Blessing 10.5C and I did for well over a year, mostly on my own. I was enjoying playing but felt I'd hit a plateau in terms of comfort, tone, endurance, and range. After lessons with the pro, I began focusing more on some basics, such as 1) playing major scales more with the aim of being comfortable in all of them, and 2) working a series of flexibility exercises into my practice routine. Very remedial stuff, along with engaging with Clarke and Arban (some of those execrcises are so intimidating!)

After doing this new practice routine for a bit I moved to a new mouthpiece at the pro's suggestion, the 3C. Initially this was a knockoff Chinese Megatone-style I had laying around, but then a Bach. I have been playing the 3C since then. (I also occasionally play an old Purviance 4* with a really shallow cup, mostly just for fun at the end of practice sessions).

I try to practice as much as I can, though I don't get in the hours a "serious" player does. Still, I've notably improved over the last 8 months now. My tone is definitely more solid and stable and my range has improved (my target is to be "comfortable" with C above the staff and I am getting closer). My endurance is improving more slowly but it is getting better. Two years of playing has built up some strength and muscle memory, and as a result playing feels more natural and comfortable, and less of an effort. The more I play, the less the specific mouthpiece itself seems to matter, though the 3C is among the most comfortable and when I am comfortable I play better. However I continue to stick to just one mouthpiece at a time (again with the exception of occasionally fooling around on the aforementioned Purviance, which can scream).

To sum up: playing is fun! I am still "not very good" but have improved to the point that I am exploring new levels and look forward to eventually playing with others. This is a rambling post, but really the point is to share to other comebackers what I've learned (and what most of you already know):

Don't get too hung up on equipment.
    Get some advice from or practice with a pro.
    Practice as often as you can.
    Be patient.
    Enjoy playing.

Last edited by Surcouf on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like things are working for you. I played for 12 years ( 1953-1965 ) and was a fairly busy weekend warrior with my little 5 man combo. After '65 I didn't play again until March of 2016. But for me, even though I was 79 at the time, everything came back to me quickly and by the fall I was playing first chair with the local Seniors Horizon band. After 2 years there I joined one of the best local community bands in the province. Things were tough, and though I still played first trumpet, I didn't play lead because the old chops didn't work as well on the high notes after a couple hours of playing. But I am happy and was having a ball until Covid 19 shut us down.
You seem to have a good technical practice plan, but don't forget the music. Playing tunes is why you are doing all that technical stuff. I do the tech stuff in the morning and every afternoon I play a dozen or so tunes. That's the part of the day I love best.

Good luck on your comeback.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Surcouf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tunes! When practicing I start with exercises and then move on to pieces I've been working on, or just some tune I've heard and want to try playing. I try to mix in some sight reading often. Exercises can be boring but it is also very rewarding to start noticing improvement on them over time.

Something I need to work on more going forward is playing more with the metronome and improving my ability to keep an accurate tempo.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping tempo is so much easier when you are playing with others. Fact is, playing with others helped me get back to where I was a lot faster than if I had been trying to go it alone. If there is a Horizons Band in your area, I heartily recommend you join up...of course, that is if Covid rules allow it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: