• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet with a Bright Sound

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
devrob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Trumpet with a Bright Sound Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a Bb horn with a pretty bright sound. My whole career I've had a pretty warm, dark sound. It's what sounds best to my ear for the style of playing I do (99% orchestral or symphonic wind), so it's become natural and is only enhanced by the horns I tend to buy. My main horns are a Xeno Bb, Kanstul 1600 Bb, and a Bach 229 C. The lead playing in one of the ensemble I'm playing in most often plays a Bach 72 and has a really rich, bright sound. Not a laser beam by any means, but significantly brighter than mine. I'm hoping to find something to help match his sound a bit more and also potentially use for some solo work.

Some things I've considered so far include a Bach 72 LW, Shires BLW, Andalucia adVance Phase III, and a Van Laar BR2. Any other suggestions of horns to check out?

I've of course tried a few mouthpieces and focusing on vowel sounds, which helps substantially, but I'm always interested in expanding the collection
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a Getzen Severinsen or Benge. LOTS of studio players used those. But be aware that mouthpiece and personal mind-picture of a target sound go a long way.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Kanstul should do the trick. Try a more shallow mouthpiece to help brighten your sound.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 72 has a fast taper, as does the Andalucía bell, which tends to a darker sound generally.

In vintage, Bright horns would be a Benge 3, a King Sliver Flair, a Yamaha YTR-739T, or for really bright and commercial, an Olds Superstar.

In modern, bright horns would be a Kanstul Chicago (oops, now that's vintage only too I guess), a Bach 1B Commercial, Most of the Schilke B series (not B5/B6 though), Jupiter XO 1600i (not as much as the others listed). I thought for a while about Yamaha, but with the cultural perception of trumpet tone having shifted toward a stronger core with clear overtones, their brightest current models (Xeno Chicago, Shew) are not particularly bright.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 72 bell is designed to produce a sound on the darker end of the spectrum. The Bach 25, 43 and 37 bells are all designed to produce a brighter sound than the 72 bell. So a Bach 72 would seem to be taking you in the direction opposite the one you're trying to go.

The Calicchio 1s/2 has for decades been the standard for bright sound and projection against which everything else is measured. If you want bright sound and strong projection you won't go wrong with a Calicchio 1s/2. Nothing on your list of possibilities matches up to a Calicchio 1s/2.

I own over 50 Bb trumpets including a Bach 25, 37 and 72LW, Chicago Benge ML and L, Burbank Benge 2X, 3X, 5X and 6X, Los Angeles Benge CG, Getzen Eterna Severinsen LB, Schilke B5LB and B7L, Kings, Conns, Selmers, Blessings, etc. in addition to a Calicchio 1s/2 and Calicchio 3R/9, and the Calicchio 1s/2 is the brightest and most projecting of them all.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terms like dark, bright, “Bach sound”, etc, are very subjective. I have read posts using the term dark to, from my interpretation or the posts, mean opposite tone quality.

If you are considering Bachs, here is a link to Bach’s official opinion on the bell characteristics.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Commercial
Shires Destino III
Yamaha Z-Horn Zxxxx
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are of course many horns that might work for you (in addition to your Kanstul? Maybe with a “commercial” mouthpiece?), but I can say that for me, my LA Benge 3X+ and GR Carl Fischer JazzRockstar mouthpiece is VERY bright, I didn’t actually realize how bright it is until I heard a recording of myself recently.

ALL THAT BEING SAID: as others have mentioned, “bright” is subjective, and what works well for me absolutely may NOT for someone else. For example, lots of guys love the Yamaha Shew horns, for me they feel tight and restrictive. That’s not necessarily a reflection on the horns, it’s a personal reaction/preference.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of horn choices, but your Kanstul was made for the kind of playing you're describing. To my way of thinking, you should begin by altering your sound concept. Get help from someone with experience who can help you change your thinking, hearing and technique. After that, I'd consider finding a moderately shallow mouthpiece.

I play a trumpet with a REALLY big open bell taper and can get a brilliant, commercial tone out of it.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
The Bach 72 has a fast taper, as does the Andalucía bell, which tends to a darker sound generally.

Actually the Bach 72 has a slow taper. Generally speaking, the slower the taper the darker the sound and the faster the taper the brighter the sound.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Trumpet with a Bright Sound Reply with quote

Adams A5. DEFINITELY the LIGHTEST WEIGHT and BRIGHTEST SOUND of any horn I have ever played in my 55 year playing career. It's also the quickest responding horn too! Try it...you might like it!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Actually the Bach 72 has a slow taper. Generally speaking, the slower the taper the darker the sound and the faster the taper the brighter the sound.

Tapers are measured by the amount of growth in diameter or radius over its length. if it grows a lot, that is a fast taper. If it stays closer to the same diameter over its length, it is a slow taper.

Fast taper = large throat = darker timbre
Slow taper = narrow throat = brighter timbre

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Lots of horn choices, but your Kanstul was made for the kind of playing you're describing. To my way of thinking, you should begin by altering your sound concept. Get help from someone with experience who can help you change your thinking, hearing and technique. After that, I'd consider finding a moderately shallow mouthpiece.

I play a trumpet with a REALLY big open bell taper and can get a brilliant, commercial tone out of it.

Kanstul designed that for for Waynard when he sent his Bach 72LT in for some work. That's what he was playing when he played lead with Maynard.
The 72LT was astaple in the NYC studio scene in the '60's and 70's: Bernie Glow, Al Stewart, and Danny Stiles all played that model. Trent Austin has a Brasspire that he calls the best Calicchio 1S2 he ever played. that would be a possibility as well as Charlie Davis' horns sold by Washington Music Center which are designed after the Calicchio. The Bach Mariachi model is another very bright horn (190B43RL) worth checking out. The Stomvi S3 has a lot of buzz as well. I know a few NYC guys using old Benge CG's for show and commercial work. Horntrader has the Burbank line with a CG clone as well as clones (by Kanstul) of the other original Benges. So many horns, so littlle time.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned a Kanstul 1600 at one time. One of the better playing horns I have ever owned and it is gorgeous. As previously stated, designed for Wayne Gergeron and he favors it over his Yamaha accprding to an interview I read. I suggest trying something beside a new horn unless you are just itching to buy one. The Kanstul 1600 has plenty of fire to be had.

A Schilke and ... errrrr ... my Yamaha YTR 8340EM (Eric Miyashiro designed light-weight) would thrill your soul also.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Trumpet with a bright sound Reply with quote

I agree with Kehaulani. Try a Severinsen. Getzen's 900 which if still the old Severinsen or finding a good Benge with an earlier serial number. Bright, open, yet full and both horns project. And you can find good examples used for less than new. Try the Burbank trumpet if they are still available due to the Kanstul shut down or re-organization. There are several Benge horns in the marketplace right now that would give you what you want. Good Luck.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet with a Bright Sound Reply with quote

devrob wrote:
I'm in the market for a Bb horn with a pretty bright sound. My whole career I've had a pretty warm, dark sound. It's what sounds best to my ear for the style of playing I do (99% orchestral or symphonic wind), so it's become natural and is only enhanced by the horns I tend to buy. My main horns are a Xeno Bb, Kanstul 1600 Bb, and a Bach 229 C. The lead playing in one of the ensemble I'm playing in most often plays a Bach 72 and has a really rich, bright sound. Not a laser beam by any means, but significantly brighter than mine. I'm hoping to find something to help match his sound a bit more and also potentially use for some solo work.

Some things I've considered so far include a Bach 72 LW, Shires BLW, Andalucia adVance Phase III, and a Van Laar BR2. Any other suggestions of horns to check out?

I've of course tried a few mouthpieces and focusing on vowel sounds, which helps substantially, but I'm always interested in expanding the collection

What mouthpiece do you play? Before i tried to find anything better than your 1600 i'd play around with drill size and cup shape and depth.If your the typical orchestral player using something big like a 1c with a 22 backbore forget it. I would try curry's precision line of pieces that match your ID and then try the medium, and shallow cups, after that go to as small a drill size as possible that still gives you a fat sound. you'll be surprised at what your able to do on that 1600 !!
It will be plenty bright enough. If your still looking for nice bright commercial horn play what the pros play, 1s2, ingram 1600i, benge 3, or claude gordon, bach 43, but any horn can sound bright with the right gear attached to it.

good luck,

tom
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 65 King Silver Flair in near mint condition which would do the job very well. I don’t play it anymore, pm me as there is a local music store that has or had a large selection of vintage horns and a Harry James or 2.
Rod
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several horns that can light it up pretty good. They are Getzen Severinsen, 900H (Herriot tilted bell) in medium and large bore (really hard to find), Conn 60B Super Connstellation (very underappreciated horn), 40B Vocabell from '32 (laser beam bright), Holton ST-302, and the brightest of all is my Holton Super Collegiate cornet with copper bell!! I've played a couple of Xenos, Shew and Miyashiro and they were bright but also tight for me. It might be cheaper to try a mpc that's very shallow. I use a JET-TONE CUSTOM MODEL 1B. It can light up any horn I have but it isn't for everyone.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss a chance to try the Stomvi Horns. V-Raptor, VRII, S3, and others. Those horns can really sizzle. I've heard that the Mambo is even brighter, but I've never tried one myself. Might want to check with Jon Ruff or KO.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for Getzen Eterna , bright and shiny sound with fast response.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: