• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet with a Bright Sound

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dstpt on Thu May 26, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considerung vintage trumpets I can vote for the original King Silver Flair.
Pretty bright and responsive. Quite a good lead horn as well.
New trumpets would include the Callet Superchops or Studio Artist.
Martin Committe Deluxe #3 - 1957
Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire Star - 1960s
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years the Getzen Severinsen, Bach 72*, and Yamaha 8310Z have got the bright sound needed to play in big band settings for me.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Eclipse Enigma or CLS with a Solar (rimless) bell. Both can come with the CLS (Changeable Leadpipe System) to adjust your blow. I received my Eclipse custom C trumpet with a Solar bell last Friday. I wish I had known about the rimless option when I ordered my custom Enigma last fall, but still a great horn. Pitch, response, timbre, core...can't be beat. Worth looking into and giving them a whirl.

I had Leigh do an Enigma with the CLS and a solid silver rimless bell and I feel it’s the best horn I’ve ever played by a mile. I got the idea from a King silversonic which I always felt had a core that didn’t stop and my Conn Vocabel and another rimless Enigma I had purchased with the bell tuning (another great innovation). I cannot do everything this horn can do, but I heard pros in England play triples at very great volume with it, but everything I can do is better on this horn. I got a bit of a deal as I was doing the 1st horn and provided the bell from Andy Taylor, I think Leigh has sol 5-6 now. I would assume this model with all extras would be 6500 or more but I got extras. I think I’ve played everything out there but Monette and Eclipse is heads above and Leigh is the best and he treats you like his only customer.
Rod
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dstpt on Thu May 26, 2022 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my current collection, the brightest are: Benge CG ('77), King Golden Flair ('75), Conn 60B ('69), Conn 28B ('55), Conn 8B ('75), Kanstul 990 (original nickel Mariachi), and Selmer Radial ML ('72).

From the past: Benge 2X & 5X, King 2006 ('82), Bach 43 ('85), Getzen Eterna, Kanstul 1502, Hopf Starmaster (Germany), Schenklaars Prestige (Holland), Lawler 21B.
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my current collection, the brightest are: Benge CG ('77), King Golden Flair ('75), Conn 60B ('69), Conn 28B ('55), Conn 8B ('75), Kanstul 990 (original nickel Mariachi), and Selmer Radial ML ('72).

From the past: Benge 2X & 5X, King 2006 ('82), Bach 43 ('85), Getzen Eterna, Kanstul 1502, Hopf Starmaster (Germany), Schenklaars Prestige (Holland), Lawler 21B.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brightest by far is my Olds CHR, outshines the Eclipse MS and Conn 40B.

Regards, Stuart.
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet with a Bright Sound Reply with quote

devrob wrote:
I'm in the market for a Bb horn with a pretty bright sound.

I've of course tried a few mouthpieces and focusing on vowel sounds, which helps substantially, but I'm always interested in expanding the collection

You might want to consider an Olds Studio and an Olds Super Star. I started a collection of Olds a number of years ago and was happy to pick up both horns. However, for all of my Olds, those two stay in the case. My sound Is naturally bright. Add that to horns that are also bright and the horns push the brightness to far for me. May be just what you need. If you decided to go that route, you can find a number of them on eBay. Or, shoot me a pm and I might let either go. Nice to have but sitting in the case doesn’t make much sense.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 24b. Tiny bell, small bore, tight blow, but the brightest Bb sound of them all. I would start here; then scale it back. You won’t find anything brighter than this. A Bach 25, Benge 2x, Yamaha z, or a Calicchio 1s will all seem much darker in comparison.

Thread killer.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
Don't miss a chance to try the Stomvi Horns. V-Raptor, VRII, S3, and others. Those horns can really sizzle. I've heard that the Mambo is even brighter, but I've never tried one myself. Might want to check with Jon Ruff or KO.

VRII and S3 are not lightweight , or ? Do they still have bright sound , how come ?
I have never played a lightweight horn , but I am iinterested in buying one .
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
Don't miss a chance to try the Stomvi Horns. V-Raptor, VRII, S3, and others. Those horns can really sizzle. I've heard that the Mambo is even brighter, but I've never tried one myself. Might want to check with Jon Ruff or KO.

VRII and S3 are not lightweight , or ? Do they still have bright sound , how come ?
I have never played a lightweight horn , but I am iinterested in buying one .
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed it scanning all the responses, but I would suggest a Schilke B2 hands down. My son tends to have a big, full dark, sound and when he wanted to get a brighter sound, he went straight for the B2 and is currently using it on the road. I would also suggest finding a bright mouthpiece to match the horn. I do all my commercial work on a Schilke B3, which is the large bore version of the medium large B2. I have found that Warburton S and ES cups work really well with the Schilkes as do the Giddings S cups. Reeves and Schilke have many choices for bright sounding mouthpieces.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it matters, the OP was in February.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course has run for his life!
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Bright Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1941 22B. Bright, bright, bright...
LCM
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a students Schilke B1 Berrylium Trumpet once to try out on a pretty loud salsa gig and loved that horn;I was playing a 43 Bach at the time, and the schilke made the night a walk in the park;Yes it was brighter then the Bach for sure, but not too bright;Just easier; Pitch felt great, response great;I would say as a bell to mic horn that's one to try out..Still love the Bach for unamplified gigs
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning an old-ish thread back to life. Starting this fall, after summer break and the like is over, I’ll find myself in a large, ca. 30 piece Fela-Kuti-style afrobeat/dance-funk band with two other trumpets, a gazillion saxophones, and loads of percussion.

Now, this is a loud and somewhat unbalanced environment due to the fact that there are only three trumpets and many saxophones. My very lightweight Schmidt rotary likely won’t do the trick in terms of presence and carrying power and my Bach may be too „classical“ still. The heavy 43GH bell and the 43 leadpipe don’t obviously lend themselves to afrobeat/funk style playing (although, before the internet days I did that, of course …).

Of course the band uses microphones, but still, being a player with a rather dark and warm sound generally, I am using this opportunity to ponder trumpets (yes, I know I wrote in another thread that I don’t need another horn ).

Sooo, been thinking about what trumpet would help in terms of really bright sound (don’t want to go into mouthpieces here, been there before).

Boundary conditions:

- I live in Europe and Benges are pretty rare here + I have never liked the rather long throw of the Benge valves.
- same goes for Calicchios, extremely hard to find over here
- Not a fan of Kanstul in general, pretty rare as well
- not a fan of the newer Yamahas, but I really like the old three-digit model horns
- looking for bright and focused rather than big, fat sound (I have that in my Bach)
- had a couple horn repairs lately so looking vintage/used

Options I gathered from this thread and from other sources so far:

Benge, Calicchio (see above)
Stomvi VRII and S3 (probably even more difficult to find than the above)
Getzen Eterna & Eterna Severinsen (mixed feelings so far, those that I could play felt a little odd, stuffy, …)
Various Schilkes (yes, that’s an option, really like the B6, never played an S series horn)
Various Olds horns (possible, they do show up over here, mainly Recordings, Specials, Studios at the moment)
Various Conn horns (the older ones are extremely rare over here, how about a 6B or 38B? Those do show up)
King 1055 Silver Flair
Conn 60B
Conn 52B (really like that one)
Yamaha 3335 (is said to be loud and bright-ish on the German TF)
Selmer Radial (although to me they didn’t sound brighter to me than my Bach)
Selmer DeVille
Blessing Super Artist (?)
Jupiter (?)
Carol Brass (?)

Sorry for the long winded post; I guess I am just asking which vintage/used/affordable horn would help me get a bright and brilliant sound and would be efficient enough for 2-3 hour afrobeat/funk/rock-ish gigs.

Or should I just put a nickel silver leadpipe and tuning slide on my Bach (the leadpipe is rotting out anyway and will need a replacement at some point)?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry for the long winded post; I guess I am just asking which vintage/used/affordable horn would help me get a bright and brilliant sound and would be efficient enough for 2-3 hour afrobeat/funk/rock-ish gigs.

If I only had the horns on your list to choose from, and bearing your likes/dislikes in mind, I'd go with a Schilke B2 or a Getzen Severinsen/900.

As an aside, have you considered a different backbore and shallower cup for your mouthpiece? Changes like those could help with sound and efficiency (depending on how you play).

Good luck!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did in fact look at a B4, which is the M bore sister of the B2. Also played a Yamaha 634 (B5 „equivalent“) recently and quite liked it. Light and extremely responsive, although a little dark for what I am looking for. Great horn nonetheless.

And yes, I have a set of AR backbores to play with. On my C is use an L backbore and an ME cup in bronze; on the Bach I use a nickel silver ME cup and XS backbore. This is my favorite piece at the moment and I’d use that as a starting point for the current quest as well. It is, and that is the interesting point, an extremely versatile mouthpiece and also does classical and ballad stuff very well. But when you step on the gas it does have an exquisite power to the sound. Nice.

I did own a GR65SZ but foolishly sold it, this would be a good piece to add some bite, too.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: