• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where can you find the best advice about roll out for range

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Where can you find the best advice about roll out for range Reply with quote

I am wishing to find out more about ‘roll out’ of the embouchure. Looking specifically on instruction on how it’s accomplished. I’m pretty much a Greg Spence student but am not too far along into his program, so I consider myself a “lip” player in that I believe the lip make the pitch alone and the wind makes the volume and the tongue does what the lips tell it to do. I wish to experiment with roll out as I don’t really understand it.

I will apologize in advance if this is not your way and don’t want to start another debate on pedagogy; just the facts on roll out🧐. I just want to experiment and see if I can expand my range a bit above hi f-g.
Rod
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rod. I thought I had seen your name in the Balanced Embouchure forum but a cursory glance didn't show it. If you haven't been there, that is where I'd start. I just got the book a few days ago the same day I developed a respiratory infection. So I haven't really dug into the method yet.

I have been gradually moving toward this idea for a few years. It started with the 19/30s exercises. That helped my endurance a bunch. Then a friend talked to me about how he pushes his lips into the mouthpiece as he goes up. He has killer range and endurance. I spent some time thinking about this. Eventually i figured maybe that is what Claude Gordon was talking about when he talked about not pulling your corners back but instead everything going toward the mouthpiece. I have been practicing range with this idea by playing 2 octave lip slurs starting on low F# and going as high as possible. I had an F above high C before and could play F#s above in certain circumstances. Since working this exercise my endurance is increasing quite a bit and I have more reliable Fs and Gs with a big sound but not all night long. I am hoping the Balanced Embouchure method will help me continue this way developing more endurance and range.

Anyway, I just dumped a lot of verbage on you when I should have just said check out Balance Embouchure.

Mike
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, who is responsible for the term.
Rod
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Thanks Mike, who is responsible for the term.
Rod
I think Smiley himself coined the term. I tried BE years ago and had okay results. I was probably trying to do to much at one time with different set ups to give credit to any one of them. I was tapped out fund-wise for any more trumpet books so I didn't buy it. Some of it used to be online, but it's been awhile.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
Hey, Rod. I thought I had seen your name in the Balanced Embouchure forum but a cursory glance didn't show it. If you haven't been there, that is where I'd start. I just got the book a few days ago the same day I developed a respiratory infection. So I haven't really dug into the method yet.

I have been gradually moving toward this idea for a few years. It started with the 19/30s exercises. That helped my endurance a bunch. Then a friend talked to me about how he pushes his lips into the mouthpiece as he goes up. He has killer range and endurance. I spent some time thinking about this. Eventually i figured maybe that is what Claude Gordon was talking about when he talked about not pulling your corners back but instead everything going toward the mouthpiece. I have been practicing range with this idea by playing 2 octave lip slurs starting on low F# and going as high as possible. I had an F above high C before and could play F#s above in certain circumstances. Since working this exercise my endurance is increasing quite a bit and I have more reliable Fs and Gs with a big sound but not all night long. I am hoping the Balanced Embouchure method will help me continue this way developing more endurance and range.

Anyway, I just dumped a lot of verbage on you when I should have just said check out Balance Embouchure.

Mike

Hey Mike - I think we spoke on a topic related to the 19/30’s. I still use an abbreviated version to find center. I say abbreviated because the more you do it the faster you center. It’s helped a lot. I just ordered the book and had a revelation the first time I rolled in nailing a note I’ve never even squeaked before. I may have just found a wig, but I play better everywhere with this rolled in thing. Now I’ve only hit that dbl c once but the g is much easier. I can’t beleive I have never tried this set before, but it feels very natural and sound and flexibility are noticeably better. Can’t wait to get the book and start doing it according to instruction as I’m sure there might be more than what little ive seen with my shot in the dark🤓
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: