• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A beginners question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: A beginners question Reply with quote

I am inside of a month on BE and can do the lip clamp roll in and roll outs. I find that if I clamp or use leverage to play higher that I can get notes above hi g with some volume, but the tone is not as good as when I roll out for the same notes. It is somewhat harder to play those notes rolled out but the sound is much better.
Do other players find this to be true for them also? From my reading it looks more like the roll in is used for ascending. I can play notes above dbl. c with the roll in but not with a sound I would use. Is it a normal or at least occasional outcome of the exercises? I was able to do good rollout pedals to the 1-3 or g easily with the rollouts and could do the partial slur up to hi g within the 1st day (pedals have long been a part of my routine but not with the extreme lower lip. I can also do the roll in exercises just with a weaker tone than I normally have. Do students ever find out they use roll out all the time? Hi and low? I’m finding the exercises do take me to new feelings and some discovery but I’m wondering if I’ve gone down a side track?
All responses appreciated.
Rod
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read your post multiple times, but I'm still not sure what you are asking. Maybe you can clarify?

Here are some comments that will hopefully address your question(s).

What do you mean by "hi-G?"

I've worked with hundreds of players. Some players gravitate to the RO exercises, and barely touch the RI exercises - and vice versa. Other players play both on a regular basis. Still others catch fire on the lip slurs, and basically ignore the RI and RO exercises.

There is no rule about a good sound being associated with RI or with RO. Either position can yield a good sound.

To get good at the RI or RO exercises usually takes several months, at the least. For example, the RO exercises may seem easy at first, but the goal is to sound like the player on the CD. And developing that sound requires a subtle muscular development, and takes a while.

For specific questions, you can always email me or send me a video. I evaluate videos for free.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff you did answer my question. It doesn’t go one way or another - it is apparently what works for you. Like I said I’ve been doing pedals for years but not with the extreme roll out. Some of my observations are based on sound while applying roll in or roll out conciously while just playing not doing exercise. Benefit so far seem to be due to roll out exercises in that I find myself feeling the corners and center of my bottom lip rolling out and up when ascending and that has seemed to make the notes I play more rich. I’m sorry but I came into this with pre conceptions that this taught you to roll in to ascend and roll out to descend. It seemed my limited experience was going against the grain. I re read the book and reviewed what I could get on the forum. I think I’m seeing that you need to just take what the exercises show you about the way YOU play best and forget any expectations. Next time I have a question I will do an email to you.
Rod
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Rod, sounds good.

Yes, the BE/Callet pedals are very different from Maggio/Gordon pedals. And they achieve a very different result.

I also think that, prior to BE, the average player assumes that RI is for developing upper register, and the RO is for developing the lower register. But it is not that simple. For some players, the rolled out (unfurled) lip position is the key for "allowing" higher notes to emerge. I learned that from Jerry Callet, long before it became popularized by other players.

The best thing to do with BE is to learn how to do ALL the exercises exactly as described in the book. In striving to do the exercises correctly, you will be forced to try some things that you have not done before. In this limited experimentation, you will figure out how your embouchure responds, and where to go from there.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: