• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large Bore King Master Model Bb/A Cornet - Worth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cornetman2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Large Bore King Master Model Bb/A Cornet - Worth? Reply with quote

Hey folks, I just picked up a Large Bore King Master Model Cornet that has an extra set of pipes for Bb and A. I know that there are lots of threads out there on the King Master Models, but I haven't seen other ones with the extra pipes for the key of A. I don't think mine is a Silver Tone. Can someone help me out on what this might be worth?

Thanks!
Mark Nelson
reedman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be pretty old. Here are a couple of resources to help you figure it out:

http://hnwhite.com/second%20page.htm

http://www.vintagecornets.com/html/u_s__makers.htm

http://www.horn-u-copia.net

Hope this helps. You could also check the sites of people who restore vintage instruments, such as Mark Metzler, Rich Ita, and some others, and also store that take trades such as dillonmusic.com. There's information out there, but you have to dig for it.

Good luck!
Cornetman2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the horn:

http://i.imgur.com/kt8wN15.jpg?1
reedman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, it was probably made before 1920. No clue as to whether it tunes to A=440. The little I've seen suggests it's worth between $100.00 and $200.00. If it's in spectacular condition, needs no repairs, sounds wonderful and tunes to A=440, you might get a little more. You're really going to have to do your own research, now. Check eBay for "sold" listings.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably peg it from about 1907-1915. Being a full "kit" containing all the various pitched slides and the three vintage mouthpieces and a pretty decent case I'd think it would go higher in price for sure if the horn is in good playing condition with all working slides and no leaky valves.

Most of the Kings I've seen were smaller bore versions. I've not seen the early Kings much in large bore. Rich Ita would be a good source to check about the uniqueness of this instrument and its playability. Many Kings were quite fine players back "in the day!" I LIKE IT!!!
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very early one for sure. The later ones have marks to pull for "A". So dates given above sound accurate. I have several examples of these- one from 1940 is my main horn for traditional jazz. I have one that is very early- looks a lot like yours but not as nice. It has been re-lacquered etc. Plays great but unfortunately at A=436. So...not really a user. Any way the horn looks like it is really clean. If it has decent compression a collector might want it. But you need a standard pitch one to use with modern groups. All these old King's seem to play so well!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Large Bore King Master Model Bb/A Cornet - Worth? Reply with quote

Cornetman2 wrote:
Hey folks, I just picked up a Large Bore King Master Model Cornet that has an extra set of pipes for Bb and A. I know that there are lots of threads out there on the King Master Models, but I haven't seen other ones with the extra pipes for the key of A. I don't think mine is a Silver Tone. Can someone help me out on what this might be worth?

Obviously other folks have good comments on age, low pitch vs. high pitch, and such.

As far as value on these things, don't get your hopes up. Here's the thing. People collect all kinds of old stuff - just watch antiques roadshow. However, while musicians sometimes collect instruments, they collect instruments TO PLAY. You've got a really nice kit for an instrument - but, old trumpets - other than old pre-war Bessons, Martin Committees, and New York Bachs aren't really worth a ton. Really nice old professional Conn trumpets from the 30's go for around $300. They're in modern pitch, too.

But, used student trumpets go for about that... Well, yeah. There's always new band students (or parents) to buy used student trumpets.

There's just not a big market for these so depending on condition and compression and whether you can play in modern A=440, somewhere between $100 and $400. People put really nice examples of old instruments on Ebay from time to time for $800+ and no one buys them, because... well, the number of people interested in them is just very low. They're just not worth that much.

I've got a much newer King Master from the late 30's. Nice player. Looks terrible. Got it for free and it's worth... a few tanks of gas.

So, good market for buyers, not much value there for sellers. Fun horn, though! Enjoy it!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
pastbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large bore (.468) King Masters are actually quite rare and are great players but they don't bring much money. If your horn was a sterling bell it would have the "Silvertone" trademark and a sterling stamp on the bell.
Scott
lester66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early King Master cornet (1917) with the extra slides. They are for high pitch (A=456) common in "serious" band/orchestra music. Low pitch (A=440) was common for popular/jazz. You can set the horn to be Bb or A in either pitch.
With the original mouthpiece it blows very easy and sounds very sweet: half way between a flugelhorn and trumpet. With any of the modern mouthpieces I've tried it just doesn't have that character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: