• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Current Horns Sound Close to a Pre-War Besson Brevete?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from Shofarguy quoting Byron Autrey :
« Byron Autrey is the finest resource for information on Besson horns up through the 60s, at least.

This is the proverbial "hornets' nest" because so many different companies in so many different countries over the years have made the horns. Usually, names like "Brevete" and "Meha" don't refer to a single model, but a range of models. « 
From this thread
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=938961

So again and again when you buy a « Patented » (Breveté in French) Besson you do not not which model it is.
If you don’t trust me, at least trust Mr Autrey.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's partially true. When dealing with an English Besson in particular, there is quite a bit of variation with what appears to be similar bell markings. With the Fontaine-Besson horns, the Brevete bell marking is quite common on all sorts of brass, but was used on a particular style, or perhaps family, of trumpet bell - and maybe by default. The Fabrication and Meha bell markings seem to correspond, from the admittedly minimal data I have seen, to fairly specific geometry, leaving the other geometry to carry the default Besson bell crest and perhaps incorrectly be mis-associated as a "brevet model".

Brevete & Fabrication are obviously words intended to convey a message that we have hijacked as names. The Selmer Grand Prix non-models would be another example (that being a reference to a competitive medal I think). I'm not sure what Meha means, but suspect it likewise was never intended to be a model name.

In fairness though, even Byron used these in place of model names in his notes on dimensions (and the leadpipes appear to have varied quite a bit from what I could identify - much of which is left behind in random strips of masking tape permanently bonded at random angles to the backs of his workshop cabinet doors). It may be technically incorrect, but those bell markings are all we have when it comes to assigning some name to the groupings that correspond.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
The message to the op and others was : be very careful when you buy a Brevete Besson. Do not buy a false name, check the model « behind » (if you can!) : my 1912 Besson cornet is a Brevete, my 1930 C trumpet is a Brevete, as are every Besson horns I have seen....
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the word "Meha" appeared in the 20s and was the name Gustav Besson named his daughter? Not sure where I read that from but can someone confirm this?
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, his grand-daughter Mathilde was an owner of the company at the time. There was an article in Brass Bulletin #59 several years ago mentioning this.

One other interesting thing in that article is they mentioned that the Aubertins largely manufactured (some) Meha instruments. I have seen several Meha's with two serial numbers (one was on eBay recently, a Rapuana), and my feeling is the smaller number on these double-serial instruments may be an Aubertin number. Aubertin made relatively few instruments as they were a very small shop, and their own serial numbers in the Meha period were similar to the smaller numbers on the Meha double-numbered instruments. I've never seen this mentioned anywhere that the double serials were Aubertin, though.
quikv6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: scottfsmith Reply with quote

There certainly seems to be widely varied bell traits and characteristics that exist amongst the same "model" designations. I'd imagine this would also yield variances in taper/measurements as well.

Example: Meha's with a wide flat bead and paper-thin feeling "dead" bell, and other Meha's with a lively "ringing bell", with a narrower, rounder bead, that feel thicker and stiffer. Both of these variances can be found on all French Besson "model names", whether they be Meha, Brevete/Grands Prix, Fabrication, etc. (I can't speak regarding English Bessons. )

Furthermore, I haven't really found a pattern in regards to which bell can be found on a specific slide configuration. It seems that whether it be an underslung 3rd, straight or slanted second, or fixed 3rd w/adjustable 1st, it could have either bell variation.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: scottfsmith Reply with quote

quikv6 wrote:
There certainly seems to be widely varied bell traits and characteristics that exist amongst the same "model" designations. I'd imagine this would also yield variances in taper/measurements as well.

Example: Meha's with a wide flat bead and paper-thin feeling "dead" bell, and other Meha's with a lively "ringing bell", with a narrower, rounder bead, that feel thicker and stiffer. Both of these variances can be found on all French Besson "model names", whether they be Meha, Brevete/Grands Prix, Fabrication, etc. (I can't speak regarding English Bessons. )

Furthermore, I haven't really found a pattern in regards to which bell can be found on a specific slide configuration. It seems that whether it be an underslung 3rd, straight or slanted second, or fixed 3rd w/adjustable 1st, it could have either bell variation.

Prior to WWII, there is less variation, but then things got pretty chaotic. Further complicating matters is the extensive number that have been modified, with parts mixed and matched, over the last 140 years. For instance, Armando Ghitalla's pre-war Besson now in the Stearns Collection has the third slide righted, with an adjustable ring - and the 14K gold plating covering those modifications also predates 1950 tricking even some skilled observers into assuming its in its original form (it is not, the scars are there under close inspection). Modifications and replating have filled the population of examples to study with false and confusing clues.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
quikv6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Scottfsmith Reply with quote

....interesting you brought up the double serial# horns. I own two of those and have seen one more in person. That's not much of a pool to choose from but there are some interesting similarities.

All 3 were "Meha" stamped horns with "depose" on the cluster. 2 of the 3 are Rapuano configuration, and one is a traditional French slide configuration.

Of the 2 I own, the second serial numbers are only 50 numbers apart, but the main serial numbers are roughly 7,000 numbers apart.

I would love to know more about the double-serial horns, if anyone else has any further info, or has seen them on a horn OTHER than a Meha.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

"Deposé" is a legal wording. You cannot "patent" a model but you can "dépose" a model or a name. Meha was a "modele déposé", meaning no one else could make or name a Meha modele but Besson.
Regards.
spach
Veteran Member

Location: yazoo county, ms via northern calif. via central calif. via southern calif.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: scottfsmith Reply with quote

quikv6 wrote:
Meha's with a wide flat bead and paper-thin feeling "dead" bell, and other Meha's with a lively "ringing bell"...
Thank you for this, Chris. Yours is the first comment I've read describing this quality. My horn falls into the "dead" category. Internal renounces are anything but dead, however. I think I may have mentioned this before, but several years ago I suspended my horn with a string, placed my ear to the bell, and tapped the rim of the mouthpiece with, I believe, the handle of a table knife. My best description of the brilliance and clarity of the sound produced would be that it was something analogous to a bright beam of light passing thru a diamond. A bit over the top perhaps, but it was amazing. Unfortunately, I was never in a position to try this on other horns, or to run it thru a spectrum analyzer.
1925 (or '34) MEHA (#878**)(.460)(4 3/4" bell)(32.6 oz.)
"Where, then, does the soul reside with its better body while it awaits the sound of the trumpet?"--Stephen J. Gould
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the post of Voltrane just above: I am no lawyer but speak French; a marque depose is a copyrighted trademark..
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any Current Horns Sound Close to a Pre-War Besson Brevet Reply with quote

Hi-Note76 wrote:
With ITG coming up, I'm looking forward to going to the exhibitor booths to try out a bunch of different horns without dealing with the time, aggravation, and expense of trialing horns through the mail.

I already have a horn that's good for commercial and lead playing. Problem is, when I get other kinds of gigs when I don't want that bright a sound, I want a horn with that beautiful buttery sound that can play pretty. That's what I'm in the market for. Not overly dark and dank, but buttery.

One thing that I noticed about a pre-war Besson Brevete (owned by a friend) is that it has a beautiful sound in the low register and when I went above high C, the blow seemed to just open up and the horn spoke very nicely up there. The horn I'm referring to had an upside-down 3rd-valve slide, I don't know what years they made them that way. I would love to have a horn that sounds like this one.

I've been looking online to find (good) used Brevetes from that era, but haven't had any luck yet. I'm not inclined to buy a horn that has patches and such.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who really knows horns who can recommend a modern horn that might come close to the Besson Brevete in sound to help me with a game plan on what horns to try at ITG.

To prevent some of you from wasting your time on responses that I will ignore, please don't mention boutique horns that go into the many thousands, I'm not in that market. And please don't mention Callet horns, Callet horns and I haven't historically gotten along very well. Nothin' against them, I've just never played one on which I could get the results that I wanted.

I'm wondering if any of you know of any particular models within the Bach, Yamaha, Calicchio, CarolBrass, Shires, Kanstul, Schilke, or other product lines that I haven't mentioned that might best fit what I'm looking for. I know that most modern horns have more zinc content in the brass than what these old Bessons had, thus making it impossible to truly match the sound of the old Bessons, but I'd like to get as close as possible.

These days, I don't like to get much larger than a .459 bore, but I will play something that might be larger, but feels smaller. Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with you, I had the perfect lead/commercial horn for me , my Lawler TL5-1A but I was needed a horn for small combos with sweet and buttery sound not big , dark and flugel like , and I final get a Lawler TL6R-1A (red brass bell) with matt laquer and PADAM exactly the sound I had in my ears with almost the same feel and blow like my main horn , now I have two of each horns 😎.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
Here is an interesting letter I have I have from Vincent Bach that talks about Besson and Benge being the best copy.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/JLandressBrass/photos/?tab=album&album_id=435445863202109

As mentioned before, there are many different models and variation of Besson instruments made before WWII. Generally speaking, unless you find a special one in fantastic shape the real players will have patches as they were played hard and daily.

Besson as well as other manufactures used a different taper on the receivers than the standard today so getting the right shank and backbore combination is also quite important for these to play well.
Lots of interesting insights in VB’s personal letters. I was particularly interested in his use of the word “Model” when referring to the 43-59 which was the old way a 43 bell and ML bore were indicated on the bell in the 1930’s. I’m not sure of the source, but I recall reading that the 43 bell is a copy of a Besson bell that VB particularly liked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: