• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reducing volume, small group

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlieft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Changing your life. Use a medium bore cornet. Less energy in, less out. Full spectrum of sound at just a lower volume. Sit back and enjoy the good life without struggle. Add a mute and really get expressive. Just sayin'.

I totally agree ... I had the same problem withat my trumpet... mostly playing in small groups and found it tough to play full range while keeping my sound "peepee" ... I got a "3 crook" cornet and was able to blow freely while still at low volume. Now I go to most gigs with just the cornet and flugelhorn ... also use mutes on the cornet

-Charlie
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently saw herb alpert live with his quartet. By the way, he sounded excellent and the whole concert was high quality. Great musicians, material and Herb played a LOT. He played the whole show in a mute (soulo?) that sounded like and unmuted trumpet, just softer and mellower, but still sounded like an open trumpet with a chet baker type of sound. Very effective, and it seems that he's become comfortable with the resistance or stage volume so it has become his basic sound. you can probably find out out what mute that is. Exactly what you seem to be looking for.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this option sometimes -
http://www.bestbrass.com/stf/warm-up_nano.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWUDYA-OA_M
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
recently saw herb alpert live with his quartet. By the way, he sounded excellent and the whole concert was high quality. Great musicians, material and Herb played a LOT. He played the whole show in a mute (soulo?) that sounded like and unmuted trumpet, just softer and mellower, but still sounded like an open trumpet with a chet baker type of sound. Very effective, and it seems that he's become comfortable with the resistance or stage volume so it has become his basic sound. you can probably find out out what mute that is. Exactly what you seem to be looking for.

Soulo Bucket looks right.
https://youtu.be/defyrXM5AX4
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: