• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marvel Fanfare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Marvel Fanfare Reply with quote

Hi,

Here is the most recent upload from the Trumpet Brain mini-series 'Blockbuster Trumpet Highlights'. The trumpet excerpt from the 'Marvel Fanfare' composed by Michael Giacchino.

Its a theme that has always been a favourite of mine and one that I decided to post in the 'High Range Development' forum as I feel it really encapsulates a great deal of my personal high note philosophy; articulation, vibrato, accuracy and intonation are all required to play this excerpt and it has always been my aim (whether I've ever achieved it is another matter) over the years to develop these elements of my high register.

I raise this as I have received (not from this site actually) several questions and requests to post videos of double high Cs as part of the 'Trumpet Challenge' series. I may well go down that route at some point but I thought I would outline my personal philosophy on the high register of the instrument beforehand. Its undoubtedly a point for discussion, and there may well be those who (entirely legitimately) disagree with me, but I personally feel that a great deal of us trumpet players would benefit from placing a little less emphasis on 'can I play a double high C/D/E' and focus on improving the reliability and quality of our range almost an octave lower than that.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video, we welcome your feedback!

Link

I should add as a disclaimer; I have absolutely nothing against double high Cs (Louis Dowdeswell and Wayne Bergeron are massive heroes of mine) but, clearly, those players possess phenomenal control in the areas I have talked about and have never sacrificed their 'standard' registers purely to try and play higher- not away from a private practice room at least!

Thanks for your time!
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel Fanfare Reply with quote

Alex Brain wrote:
Hi,
Its a theme that has always been a favourite of mine and one that I decided to post in the 'High Range Development' forum as I feel it really encapsulates a great deal of my personal high note philosophy; articulation, vibrato, accuracy and intonation are all required to play this excerpt and it has always been my aim (whether I've ever achieved it is another matter) over the years to develop these elements of my high register.

I raise this as I have received (not from this site actually) several questions and requests to post videos of double high Cs as part of the 'Trumpet Challenge' series. I may well go down that route at some point but I thought I would outline my personal philosophy on the high register of the instrument beforehand. Its undoubtedly a point for discussion, and there may well be those who (entirely legitimately) disagree with me, but I personally feel that a great deal of us trumpet players would benefit from placing a little less emphasis on 'can I play a double high C/D/E' and focus on improving the reliability and quality of our range almost an octave lower than that.

I think you make really strong points and I whole-heartedly agree with that 'philosophy'. Often I feel younger players in particular become too focused on simply how high they can play rather than the quality of that range.

Are you planning on making any videos where you speak and explain your 'philosophies' and ideas regarding technique and development, a la Trent Austin?

All the best
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LSOfanboy,

Thank you, as always, for your support.

Yes, we are planning a tutorial video, but its still a work in progress and unlikely to be released until April.

If you have any other suggestions or questions regarding the channel, please do let us know!

Thanks very much
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Brain wrote:
Hi LSOfanboy,

Thank you, as always, for your support.

Yes, we are planning a tutorial video, but its still a work in progress and unlikely to be released until April.

If you have any other suggestions or questions regarding the channel, please do let us know!

Thanks very much

I look forward to that.

No immediate suggestions, but I'm enjoying all the current content.

All the best
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed: there appears to be very little movement in your face when you play, and not much sign of pivoting at all.

It would be interesting to hear whether you have consciously developed that or if that has always been natural to you?

For the record, there are many amazing players who have a great deal of movement in their face, I'm not saying that it is necessarily a bad thing, but it is curious (and aesthetically pleasing) how little movement you have.

All the best
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LSOfanboy,

Thanks very much for your question, we're really keen to start some dialogue on technical (and musical) aspects of playing.

It is quite a difficult question to answer as it is not something I have thought about overly much; so I suppose the answer is that the 'facial movement' element of my playing is very much unconscious and not an aspect that I have sought to control as such.

That being said, there are many parts of my playing that I have given a great deal of thought and time to developing, and it is not impossible that these separate concepts have inadvertently affected my 'facial movement'.

Thanks again for your question and let me know if there are anything else you would like to know!

Thanks for your time
Trompette111

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very top player! I watch many of Marvel films and to me they are best. You are thinking to record music from Infinity War?
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trompette111,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I very much share your enthusiasm for all things Marvel!

Trumpet highlights from all the Marvel films are on the table; its just a case of deciding when a 'highlight' is a 'highlight', as many of the films feature some fantastic brass entries that last for only a bar or so and wouldn't really work in a solo trumpet 'excerpt' video.

I'm confident to say that we'll record highlights from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Black Panther, so look out for those other the next two months! Infinity War is a possibility but we will likely wait to see the response to the two videos above before commiting to that one.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming!
Trompette111

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaaa!! Both are very great films- I am excited to see how you play them.

What other film music will you be recording?
Alex Brain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompette111,

Thanks for your interest. There is a whole list of content due for recording, but can't confirm exactly the chronology yet.

If you have further questions you are welcome to contact us via PM or via our new Trumpet Brain facebook page>

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: