• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler trumpets the end of a era

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Lawler trumpets the end of a era Reply with quote

Hello guys.
From the end of the last year Mr Lawler stops to make his great trumpets/cornets/flugels and decide to make trombones , is this the end of a era ? Roy has make around 1550 horns , after 10 or 20 years Lawler horns will be collectibles something like the committees today .
I belive that Roy had make some of the finest horns of my times and I feel very lucky that I own two of them .
I really want to heard your thoughts and sorry for my terrible English.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Model T this summer, knowing that time was running out. I have bought and sold several of his horns, so I knew what I wanted. I received it in November, and it went back-and-forth a few times as he made adjustments to the leadpipe venturi and the gap after receiving my feedback. Now it's not going anywhere.

I admit that every time I play it, I feel a certain amount of reverence for the person who made it. To think that 30 years of experience went into this instrument. 30 years of craftsmanship, discipline, experimentation, trial and error. 30 years of someone truly living out the American dream of starting your own business, pursuing something that matters to you and getting paid for it, and achieving your goals. This is his life's work. I am holding an instrument that he made as he was writing the last chapter of the book of his life's work. Yeah, man. Maybe it sounds corny, but it's true and the significance is not lost on me.

I'm sure there are better trumpets out there. I like mine.

Thanks, Roy.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, I definitely want to spend some more time with yours aside from the few notes I blew the other day, especially now that I have my mouthpiece dialed in.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 2 C7s and a Lawler flugelhorn. I sold one of the C7s and was then fortunate to purchase from rolling360 the prototype C7 Martin Committee-like horn. Got it out yesterday and took it to a rehearsal. Wow - this has got to be one of the finest horns I have ever played. Just awesome, as is my flugel horn.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a large bore Model T. Great horn. I owned two C7s -- ML and XL bore. Both of them were really nice horns as well.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i've got my TL5 Large bore in silver i was the happiest cat on earth! Between me and that particular horn there's a feeling i've never had with any horn i've ever owned or tried.
When Lawler decided to stop making trumpets i've ordered a C7 deluxe ML step bore. Well, it's a fine horn, the aestetic is Amazing but just different from the TL5 who remain my favorite one and also the best "in tune" horn i have ever tried (the C7 plays a bit sharp for me).
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
oldenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PS 1 is a beautiful large bore horn with a rose brass bell. Love it. Plays well with others and shines on its own. I also own a C from the Florida shop ML with an A pipe. Don't play it much anymore, but when the need arises it is a sweet sounding horn.

I would have loved to get a flugal but that's life.

Enjoy your Lawlers

Nick

Play The Ink
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TL 6R 1-A. I've been on it for over 10 years. It's a beautiful horn that I can use (and have used) in MANY situations ranging from orchestra to small group jazz to wind ensemble. It's really a chameleon.

Overall, I'm really happy with it and feel fortunate to have one. I've played on Monette, Eclipse, Harrelson, Kanstul, Yamaha, Bach... just about every maker you can imagine. The Lawler holds its own against the best of them.

As far as a businessman, Roy is top shelf. Every dealing I have had with him has been positive.

Im truly saddened that he's no longer making horns, but guess the trombone world needs a bit of love too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KVotre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:
I have a TL 6R 1-A. I've been on it for over 10 years. It's a beautiful horn that I can use (and have used) in MANY situations ranging from orchestra to small group jazz to wind ensemble. It's really a chameleon.

Overall, I'm really happy with it and feel fortunate to have one. I've played on Monette, Eclipse, Harrelson, Kanstul, Yamaha, Bach... just about every maker you can imagine. The Lawler holds its own against the best of them.

As far as a businessman, Roy is top shelf. Every dealing I have had with him has been positive.

Im truly saddened that he's no longer making horns, but guess the trombone world needs a bit of love too.

Glenn I have a 2004 TL6L-1 and my new love a2016 TL5R-1a large bore. I love them both. The TL5 is totally amazing it projects like no other horn I have ever played. I am close to having a double C back. I am also able to play my Monette Prana with it and it gets an amazing lead sound without getting thin or piercing.

By the way how are you.
Yamaha Flugel 731
GR 65 C*, GR 65FL, Monette B4LDS(Prana)
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "chamaleon" i've found that the TL5 has a very large gap that adds resistance and can help in playing long in the upper register. If you use some kind of gap modulator system (as the Reeves or the Jim New system) you'll find that decreasing the gap on your mouthpiece with the TL5 completely change the "carachter" of the horn. The TL5 is really an Amazing horn that i will never let go (and by far the best in tune "with itself" trumpet i have ever played)!

My C7, au contraire, has a very small gap and this makes the horn produce a very BIG sound. The C7 in ML plays much bigger than the TL5 in L bore (without changin the gap). My favorite is the TL5 but i'm beginning to appreciate more and more everyday the C7, even if i have to pull out the tuning slide much more than i'm used to, otherwise i'm too sharp.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KVotre wrote:

By the way how are you.

Hey, Ken! Man... it's been a while. I'm doing great & living the dream! Hope things are well with you!

(Now back to our regularly scheduled program!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KVotre"]
tpter1 wrote:

Im truly saddened that he's no longer making horns, but guess the trombone world needs a bit

Glenn I have a 2004 TL6L-1 and my new love a2016 TL5R-1a large bore. I love them both. The TL5 is totally amazing it projects like no other horn I have ever played. I am close to having a double C back. I am also able to play my Monette Prana with it and it gets an amazing lead sound without getting thin or piercing.

By the way how are you.

Very good year for Lawler horns , the Geneva horns is some of the best that Roy ever built , I use to own exactly the same horn a matt TL6L-1 with sts oppion and some extra bells , I sold it to a friend and I regret it the same moment .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to get a raw brass TL and missed his deadline, was to busy over the Holidays.
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
frankcameraska

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo everybody
I own a C7 and I like it a lot !
It's a pity Roy stopped the production !

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to see Roy next Weds. to play the T5 and C7 to see which I want. I got my deposit in after Xmas an now I get to make my own horn with his guidance. I'm very happy. I have quite a few horns I really like but these were all buy them if you like em - take them as they are type deals. Roy has been a real pleasure to work with and I'm sure after building more than 1500 he will get me to one that will help me play my best. I should have a trumpet by May and I will let you know how it compares with my other horns from an average player point of view.
Rod
rcsiletzky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: This is the first I heard Reply with quote

I have a Lawler TL with a screw bell and 3 different bells for different occasions. This has been the best gigging horn I've ever owned. My heart is breaking at the news of this. I wish it wasn't true.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now have my c7 in hand and I am thrilled. Jewlery like workmanship, very simple but perfectly done, no solder issues inside or out (I have a flexible borescope). Finish without flaw (silver) no engraving just the beauty of a good design extremely well executed. How did it play. Just like it looks, simple and beautiful. Easy to tune and on my electronic tune I have a section that shows overtones in analysis, and these are the fullest I have ever seen so its what I call a very rich sounding horn. The sound is not overly deep or bright until pushed in either direction then it is not edgy but will cut. I found the blow to be very good for me as I went with a slightly larger lp , a bell with fast taper and big throat and fast flair. The horn will speak if you breath toward it. I got an very custom Eclipse bell tuned horn in on the same day (about a week ago) so I cant say the Lawler is the best I have (Lawler gets a month undisturbed play since it arrived 1st) but I have 8 great horns in my closet that will now be going up for sale due to these 2. I only wish I had played his horns prior to the end of the era as in my lowly opinion they are among the very best (and at the BEST price). I cant say I know Roy other than talking to him and meeting him at the fitting, but he is the kind of man I would be proud to know. Ill be on the lookout for ML bore Lawlers from now on, they will be among the best of our age.
Rod
dupac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I already had a C7, which was my favorite Bb. When I learned that Mr. Lawler was going to stop making trumpets, I ordered a second C7, Deluxe version, one of the latest produced. Twice happy now!
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Easy to tune and on my electronic tune I have a section that shows overtones in analysis, ....
Rod

Just curious: what kind of tuner is it?

BTW i love my Lawlers. I've been playing my TL5 for over 2 years and now i have a C7 Deluxe. At first the C7 played sharper, i've needed to adapt because the blow is very different from the TL5. Use the C7 for Jazz/small combo (prior to the C7 used a Van Laar Oiram II but the C7 plays like melted butter, just the right sound i was looking for) and the TL5 for Big Band/R&B (this thing rocks!). The best horns i've ever had, each with his own unique voice and character. I love them both and will never let go.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Easy to tune and on my electronic tune I have a section that shows overtones in analysis, ....
Rod

Just curious: what kind of tuner is it?

BTW i love my Lawlers. ...... I love them both and will never let go.

Called a TE Tuner and I picked up the app at the apple download dealie . It has. A lot of stuff I haven't explored but it has some good tools and a very good metronome and wasn't much cash less than a device and it works on my phone and I pad and my laptop and thru. Wifi and and and much more than I know about. So much nice tools for music playing out there now!

I am so happy I got my Lawler, it does everything well and is just a joy to blow and play. Not a lead trumpet but my new to me Eclipse fills that bill in spades. I've been on a seriously expensive horn saga for a while and 2 horns that came on the same day are putting 25000$ worth of horns I have been holding up for sale immediately. Only my King super 20 artist that is ridiculously engraved is staying. The only regret I have about finding Roys horn is that I can no longer have one made and that I didn't know about his work before - might see some better sounding bone players soon tho.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: