• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blue Mitchell Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of RW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Blue Mitchell Horn Reply with quote

Blue Mitchell was an astonishing player and I listen to him more than any other jazz musician. I see on the player / horn combinations that he played a Martin Committee, Conn Constellation, Olds Super or Olds Studio. Does anyone know which was his horn of choice and what most of his recordings were made with?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly I’ve read that one of his favorite horns was an Olds Super. I imagine others with greater knowledge will pitch in, but that’s my recollection.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read and heard, early on he played a Committee but switched to an Olds Super for the bulk of his career. In the 70's he played a Constellation.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
teacherdad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: check out '50's Lee Morgan, too.. Reply with quote

Love Blue Mitchell's music, too. You might check out early (?) mid-late 1950's Lee Morgan, too. I hear similarities in style. Interested what others think.

I'm thinking specif of The Hank Mobley Blue Note recordings, which is a killer set from Mosaic Records (no affiliation). Lots of excellent players on there, including Lee Morgan. (I think Blue, too, but I don't have the liner notes in front of me right now.)
Son of RW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appreciate the info...I suspect Blue Mitchel could have made most any horn sound good, and I agree the same goes for Lee Morgan - to bad he was killed in his prime.

I am an amateur player but I have started to collect and I have a Reynolds Medalist that was made in the Olds Fullerton factory and recently a King Silver Flair 1055T. I can't do them justice but they are art pieces in my mind
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Blue Mitchell's album covers. There are several with pretty good shots of his horns!! "Blue's Mood's" has a good shot of his Committee. "The Thing to Do" has a closeup of part of his Olds Super. There is another with the Connstellation but I don't remember the album title off the top of my head.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Son of RW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that during the 40's and 50's the Recording retail prices were on average 15% higher than the Super. I assume the difference was due to engraving, third valve trigger (not sure what year they introduced that) and offset valve configuration. Hard to judge differences in current prices but it seems like the Recordings cost more than 15% more than the Supers today
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: