• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What makes one Bach play tighter than another?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: What makes one Bach play tighter than another? Reply with quote

You can pick up 10 different Bach 37's from different and same eras and yet some blow free some tighter. Why?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many answers to that question. Over the decades materials were inconsistent for various reasons, manufacturing processes have changed, for a while the factory was a union (auto union) shop where the goal was quantity not quality, age of the instrument, design changes, wear and tear, and one can't forget that instruments are mostly "hand-made".
That was definitely the case in the 80's - 90's.

Interestingly, two years ago I visited the factory and learned about Bach's history, processes, and reenvisioned goals/processes. I played a dozen new Bb's (190xx's) that I could barely distiguish from one another - very consistent.
Basically, they asked themselves what made the great Bach trumpets great, and made changes to return to those designs, materials, and processes.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To really compare them you would need to have the valves aligned properly, the receiver gap (with the mouthpiece you use) all set the same and have the venturi size all set the same, and be sure that all have either brass or plastic valve guides.

I'll leave it to the pro repair people on TH to discuss the joys of out of round tubing, solder blobs, alignment of bell seams, types of valve cork, and beveling of the slide tubing,

(I will point out that there is little truth to the urban legend that bell brass should only be harvested from bell trees that grow on the northern shaded side of the mountains.)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
To really compare them you would need to have the valves aligned properly, the receiver gap (with the mouthpiece you use) all set the same and have the venturi size all set the same, and be sure that all have either brass or plastic valve guides.

I'll leave it to the pro repair people on TH to discuss the joys of out of round tubing, solder blobs, alignment of bell seams, types of valve cork, and beveling of the slide tubing,

(I will point out that there is little truth to the urban legend that bell brass should only be harvested from bell trees that grow on the northern shaded side of the mountains.)

There was a legend that Besson bell brass was from WWI artillery shell casings. I heard Schilke say that the brass was of Swiss origin. Who knows?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What makes one Bach play tighter than another? Reply with quote

improver wrote:
You can pick up 10 different Bach 37's from different and same eras and yet some blow free some tighter. Why?

Assuming same stock 25 pipe, tuning slide geometry, bell weight and material (in order of significance):
1) Valve fit (varies considerably - always did at Bach)
2) Leadpipe trim (unusual that it would be off enough to be significant, but when it is...)
3) Gap
4) Assembly variation (roundness, tension, brace placement/attachment)

And I suppose mass placement (different caps, casings, trigger vs throw, added spit key) - though this really impacts response more than resistance

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variances in the manufacturing process, subtle design changes over the years, and quality control. No two horns sound the same even if it's a Yamaha.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gap is a big thing. they are not consistent.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"2) Leadpipe trim (unusual that it would be off enough to be significant, but when it is...)"

The pipes can vary quite a bit, and if it's too small at the front end... choke time.
https://yourbrass.com/
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

There was a legend that Besson bell brass was from WWI artillery shell casings. I heard Schilke say that the brass was of Swiss origin. Who knows?

That doesn't explain why the real legendary pre-war Besson is pre WWI
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

That doesn't explain why the real legendary pre-war Besson is pre WWI

But it might explain why their already known consistency issues were exacerbated between the wars and sales volume contracted sharply (even though some really great horns were made then).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue is that they make so many 37's that the inconsistency is greater. I doubt that they play test each one. Some have soldering imperfections that affects them. The gap as mentioned, valve alignment is another variable, etc. Also, on older horns like the Mt. Vernons, not all leadpipes were marked. You could have a 43 pipe with a 37 or a 43 bell and it looks like a 25 pipe is on it.

I remember years ago trying numerous Bach Strads at the same time, and could not find one that I liked. I have a 43*/43 that plays really well but is very sensitive to mouthpieces/gap. My 8310Z is not that sensitive to mouthpiece changes.

Pete
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What makes one Bach play tighter than another? Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
improver wrote:

Assuming same stock 25 pipe, tuning slide geometry, bell weight and material (in order of significance):
1) Valve fit (varies considerably - always did at Bach)
2) Leadpipe trim (unusual that it would be off enough to be significant, but when it is...)
3) Gap
4) Assembly variation (roundness, tension, brace placement/attachment)

And I suppose mass placement (different caps, casings, trigger vs throw, added spit key) - though this really impacts response more than resistance

I am surprised to see no mention of tubing and solder leaks in this discussion. Of 20+ vintage pro horns I have purchased, 3 had non-obvious tubing and soldering leaks. I own one very new pristine China manufactured horn, and it had multiple soldering leaks.

In one case, a tiny tubing leak was immediately obvious. First note of a C major scale and I knew something was wrong. In other cases, the leak is not noticeable to my ears, and apparently harmless. That tells me there are tubing leaks that may be noticeable to some players but not to others.

Except for extreme tubing leaks, the only way to find them is pressure testing. Just plug the bell with a rubber ball or something and put a little air into the lead pipe. Spray with soapy water and watch for bubbles.

I never see talk of leak testing on this forum. I wonder how many people here get frustrated with a horn that doesn't seem quite right, and not realize the problem is nothing more than a tubing leak?
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start out by declaring that I prefer very open, low resistance trumpets. That said, I like the sound of a Bach 37.

I've really tried to play a Bach 37, all the way back to high school days. In those days, it was not uncommon to find six or eight 37s in a fair sized music store. After my dad backed the car over my mid-50s Olds Mendez, we were in the market for a new trumpet.

We went to the music store that carried Bach, and I played everyone they had. Not that a Mendez was exactly a free blowing trumpet, but every single Bach I tried felt like I was blowing up against a brick wall. I ended up buying a Getzen Severinsen.

Through the years, I continued to play test 37s. When the Anniversary 19037s came out, I played one and it felt really good. It was by some good measure the least resistant 37 I had ever played. I bought it.

It turned out to have some issues, which were covered by warranty, and Bach sent me a new 19037. It just didn't blow the same as the first one, and it was noticeably more resistant. It's now had a complete blueprinting at Osmun, including a valve alignment. It now has a 25-0 leadpipe and a "C" shaped tuning slide, which did open it up a bit, but it's still a tight blow, at least by my standards. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, my current main player is a large bore Bach Commercial Trumpet. It is pleasantly non-resistant. That tells me that Bach knows how to build an open blowing trumpet, but for whatever reason, they choose not to do so with the 37.

As popular as the 37 is, I can only assume that I'm in a distinct minority of trumpet players who want an open blowing non-resistant instrument.

Take care,
Marc Speed
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really a beginner, but when I read about clocking mouthpieces I figured I'd try it. Not only is there a huge difference, but now I can tell when I didn't clock it by how it plays, even though I can barely play, really. That gave me a whole new appreciation for how delicate the sound is. When I think of all the things in a trumpet that can go ALMOST right. . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: