• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hammered Mouthpiece Rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Hammered Mouthpiece Rim Reply with quote

Hello All,
I've decided to branch out into the world of experimenting with mouthpieces and had a somewhat beat up Yamaha 11C4-7C lying around. I wasn't particularly attached to the piece as I felt it's cup diameter was a little narrow for my face so I figured I'd do some modifications.

I started out by using a large steel ball bearing and a brass hammer to expand the inside of the rim until I felt like it sat better and had success... I think. It's hard to tell if something worked or if you just wanted it to and thought the change into existence. So to validate my thinking I played on it for a month or so and can definitely say that I feel more comfortable on it (this might just be due to using it more often).

My next idea was to see if there was a way to make the piece more conducive for endurance. For myself one of the main contributing factors to wearing down is the circulation loss on the portion of lip inside the mouthpiece (I could probably stand to work on my technique and decrease the pressure). While working on a gasket on my car the next week I noticed that the surface it was mounted on had some dents in it and this was causing it not to seal perfectly. Eureka! I just had to peen the mouthpiece rim to make it have low pressure zones that would let the blood flow through the surface of the lip more easily. So I pulled out the ball-peen hammer and spent some time working over the surface and ended up with this result.

I've now been playing on this for a month or so and feel like it has made some improvement however want to see if anyone else would have a similar experience. As a disclaimer, at first playing took a bit of getting used to just due to the "roughness" of the edge but that went away in a day or so.

So if you have a beater mouthpiece that you don't use too often, give it a shot and see what happens. I'm quite interested to see if this is just a figment of my imagination or if it is actually an effective modification. Let me know what you think.

All the best,
Mike Greeninger
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just looks like a high school marching band mpc! I play on one similar but with deeper scratches!!!
If it works for you..... . I can "hear" the silent groans. I'm not sure the seal issue for most players would be remedied by the uneven surface of the rim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: