• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The heart wants what it wants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: The heart wants what it wants Reply with quote

Think of the two most different mouthpieces you can... ok, stop. Were these your choices?

Schilke 14c2
Supposedly a 1.5c copy but noticeably larger, narrow sharp rim, mid-cup, 26 throat, standard Schilke backbore (open)

Callet SC4
About Bach 7 diameter, wide flat rim, very shallow cup, 29 throat, tight backbore

In my collection (I'm not proud of it but what can you do) these are as different you can find. And yet... lately these are my favorites. I was digging the Schilke 14 a month ago but the honeymoon wore off - seems a touch too deep now and the rounded inner rim didn't give me enough crispness. Anyway...

The point is, you can't make sense of mouthpieces. Just can't. The heart wants what it wants and we are simply its slave as it blunders along and trashes all our logical preconceptions.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you play them for different things--is the Callet for lead playing or piccolo? How did you come to the two mouthpieces?

I posted a similar reaction recently to being surprised by the range of mouthpieces I can play. It's a nice discovery.
GenericTrumpetName

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Schilke Symphony M3. Supposed to be a nice transition from a Bach 3C that I've been playing on primarily. I really like it. Feels more open. Has a No 24 throat and Schmidt backbore whatever size that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: