• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Case Thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Cornet Case Thoughts Reply with quote

Regarding a cornet case, just wondering if anyone here has a preference or thoughts between the Gard cornet mid suspension gig bag or the standard Protec cornet case? Both similar in price - not sure on build quality between the two? Anyone have experience with either? Thanks in advance.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 of the Gard leather cornet cases. Best and nicest looking soft cases I have ever owned. I use one for Flugelhorn, by taking out the bell area padding cone in the front (they are velcro attached), it fits fine. They both are quality pieces of work, nice stitching and quality leather, heavy high quality zippers, excellent lining, room for accessories, etc. Great for carrying to a rehearsal when you have to take a briefcase or computer bag along...in warmer weather months, I sometimes get to ride my motorcycle to rehearsals (about 35 miles away, once a week), and these cases are just made for this!

I am the director of one of the two groups I play in, and generally have to take a lot of stuff along with me, so these small cases are quite handy.

I also own a leather Gard Euphonium case, and it too is 1st rate.

I recommend these products highly!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet Case Thoughts Reply with quote

breden wrote:
Regarding a cornet case, just wondering if anyone here has a preference or thoughts between the Gard cornet mid suspension gig bag or the standard Protec cornet case? Both similar in price - not sure on build quality between the two? Anyone have experience with either? Thanks in advance.

I recently needed a case for a Bach Stradivarius Cornet.

I own the Gard case, and use it for my pocket trumpet. But I didn't think it offered enough protection for my cornet. I also considered the Protec cornet case (I own the Protect flugelhorn case, which has a similar design, and which I've been happy with). But I ended up going with the SKB Soft Case, which provides a reasonable amount of protection, but is more compact than the Protec.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLOSEO/

The case fits my Bach Stradivarius and Olds Ambassador very well. Both are long model cornets. It also fits a Besson BE 1020 cornet marginally well (short model with shepherd's crook), but is not ideal because it is a bit tight around the 3rd valve slide.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both. I would say that neither are ideal - the Gard offers very little protection, and the Protec is pretty bulky and has almost no room for mutes or accessories larger than oil or small items.

My advice would be to save up for the Jakob Winter case (if you have a short cornet) or the Soundwear cornet case. I also have both. Although they are both more expensive they are very protective and have some additional storage room.

The new Gard Elite cornet case looks really nice, though no one seems to have it in stock yet.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own both, and use the ProTec single more than the Gard leather gig bag, but greatly prefer a ProTec double case, as it holds the cornet ("American" wrap or Shepherd's crook style,) while using the second slot for mutes, horn stand, water bottle, mouthpiece pouch, and glasses case.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the Gard lineup, expecially in leather. But I find I don't use my single cornet case very often, I end up carrying more than just a cornet. Cornet plus 2 or 3 mutes, means I'm then carrying another bag as there is no room in the Gard single cornet bag.

I agree with an earlier post, the Protec double case is a much more usefull case. Not that much bigger but provides flexability and a lot more space for other stuff.

I play with a Brass Band, in which I play the Eb Cornet book.. I carry a Bb with me for warming up and for occassional use. I have a Messina Covers 2.5 Airline case that carries everything I need/want for that ensemble. 2 cornets, mouthpieces, 3 mutes, cornet stand, music folder, towel, oil, pencils and mute rack, all comfortably in one bag.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Gard leather cornet case, a ProTec cornet case, and a Jakob Winter cornet case. The ProTec case is the only one that will accommodate a longer "American wrap" cornet. If you have a short cornet, the Jakob Winter is the best by far, unless you want something you can backpack. It's very well built and has room for mutes, sheet music, and all sorts of smaller items. The leather Gard bag is the least protective, but is still much safer than a standard gig bag. It's a very nice bag, but with the bell cone in it, even my Bach 184 is a tight fit (I don't know how anyone could possibly get a flugelhorn in one, though). The ProTec is well made and is fairly protective, but needs a bit more padding in the bottom, and as stated earlier, has no room for mutes. It is a nice case, though.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider the standard Pro-Tec cornet case bulky. Bulky compared to what? Not much room for mutes or music - sure. But, bulky? No, imho.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cronkhite. Superior quality.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: