• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musical Dyslexia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Musical Dyslexia? Reply with quote

Music is a struggle for me, im new here obviously. I was wondering if any of you guys have an idea of the Musical Dyslexia theory? I dont have bad dyslexia, only sometimes. It bothers me most with music. My band directors mother is a Dyslexia expert and is a dyslexic herself, but has never encountered musical dyslexia. Any ideas on how to help me read music?
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to hear more about this... maybe THAT'S the reason I'm such a horrible reader!!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadey, just out of curiosity--how are you aurally at hearing and repeating tunes? I'd be curious if learning by ear is as hard for you as sightreading.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of errors (or confusion) do you make when reading music?
For example, is the trouble with
- vertical placement of the notes in the staff,
- left to right reading of consecutive notes,
- omitting notes or rests,
- seeing '1/16, dotted 1/8' as a 'dotted 1/8, 1/16',
etc.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can learn by ear fine, i guess just as good as the next person. My sight readig is HORRIBLE. I have no idea how i got to third chair of 20 trumpets, but im there. That means i get first part, melody, to most every song.
To show an example of what im seeing, less than a week ago we had our music performance assessment. (I think the level of my “mess ups” have a connection to stress) So we were in the sight reading room, obviously pretty stressful, and we get the music. Looking at it im like oh that not too hard. I ask my second chair buddy what a couple notes are, he says theyre all A SPACE HIGHER THAN WHAT IM SEEING. I freak out(on the inside) and nod, knowing i have to transpose the whole piece down two notes.
I wanted to dieeeee :/
It wasnt fun
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss-reading the staff lines might be a simple vision problem - perhaps astigmatism.
If there's a school nurse, ask about a simple eye test - it's usually a line pattern, and if some lines look to be a lighter shade than others, that's a result of astigmatism. Also perhaps you need a general vision exam, for both distance seeing, and for reading.

You might also try a 'glasses store' (optician) - even at Walmart, they probably have the basic eye charts.

Jay
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of whats up is my band director tried using different color paper to print the music on, like red bule yellow and green. The yellow one looked like a completely different piece of music than the rest, the green one looked funny too. Then the red and blue looked slightly similar, but when i sight read them they sounded different. He said the red one was closest and that one the blue one i swapped a couple eighth note runs the opposite direction, like if it was going up i played it like it was going down and vice versa. Also on the red one i played the sharps as natural and the flats as sharps and the naturals as flats. He asked me if i knew the difference(i was like yesss i do, duh) but i couldnt tell the difference on the paper. When he wrote it out on a white board i could tell the difference, but not on paper. He thinks that getting a red sheet protector type thing would help with sight reading, that he would rather me miss a couple accidentals than transpose the whole thing.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadey_W wrote:
Another example of whats up is my band director tried using different color paper ...

------------------------------------------------
You certainly can try that as an accommodation, but you NEED to check about more basic vision problems - color perception, astigmatism, near/far sighted, etc.

A concern for me (likely due to age) is that I need a lot of light to see well. Practice / rehearsal lighting is usually OK, but on-stage lighting can be a problem. I suspect that your using different color paper or overlays might be worse on-stage.

Jay
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to the nurse rn haha
I got my music printed on blue paper for our jazz band concert and i could hardly see it. I have to get some of our theatre tech kids to help me fix the lights on stage today anyways so it would help a bit(they need more blue gels in them) ill get them to adjust the stage lights too.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot more going on ere than we can work out remotely. I wold VERY strongly suggest you talk to your parents about this today - as SOON as you get home. Make sure they understand it is causing you a lot of angst and you want some help. Do what you need to to get them to understand!

Then, you should be consulting with you GP and getting a referral to at the very least experts on:

Dyslexia
Irlen syndrome
general vision, like an optometrist or ophthalmologist

I have had students with various levels of different conditions diagnosed, and quite often hey do not sit neatly into a single definition of category. That colour is involved suggests it won't be straightforward.

Good luck with it!

cheers

Andy
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents know, they just dont believe me since my dyslexia test came back negative. Like i told them, normal dyslexia doesnt affect me that much on a daily basis, its more stress induced. Music is pretty stressful when you cant read it.
Ill try to get my parents to set me up appointments for those Andy suggested. That color thingy with the lines on it looked normal so the nurse said i didnt have astigmatism as far as she could tell[/quote]
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
There is a lot more going on ere than we can work out remotely. I wold VERY strongly suggest you talk to your parents about this today - as SOON as you get home. Make sure they understand it is causing you a lot of angst and you want some help. Do what you need to to get them to understand!

Then, you should be consulting with you GP and getting a referral to at the very least experts on:

Dyslexia
Irlen syndrome
general vision, like an optometrist or ophthalmologist

I have had students with various levels of different conditions diagnosed, and quite often hey do not sit neatly into a single definition of category. That colour is involved suggests it won't be straightforward.

Good luck with it!

cheers

Andy

+1. I agree. Complicated!
Wadey -you have a hard time convincing the grown up world that you meet these difficulties - leaving you alone so I definitively side with Andy and Jay! Very good that you tried to reach out to us - you´ve got guts! You should not be alone in this struggle! Your parents should help you get in touch with a psychologist specializing in cognitive/perceptual matters.
A visit to a competent ophthalmologist is also to be recommended.
Irlen syndrom - never heard of but interesting - indeed ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FARizLljRkc ). Does this make sense to you? You should know most difficulties are situated on a continuum, very seldom black or white - stress does mess things up. Being under stress while being alone doesn´t help!
This I write as a pro in psychology since 51years and as a fellow trumpeter. Good luck!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound very similar to my daughter; issues that needed to be addressed, but didn't show up on the "usual" tests. Her persistence, drive, and ability to cope/manage hid what was going on and she really didn't get a good diagnosis until she was in college.

Figuring out there's an issue is a great first step, I wish my daughter had done that. Be persistent in getting the help you need. It will smooth the road going forward, and not just in music. Good luck!
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife taught kids with dyslexia for many years. I've heard her comment that while a teacher "knows it when he/she sees it," it is in reality a medical diagnosis.

My limited understanding (jump in here, medical pros) is that dyslexia is a perception issue, not a visual issue per se. It would seem to me that it would make sense to see a board certified ophthalmologist (an M.D or D.O. who diagnoses and treats diseases of the eye). It is also possible that an optometrist (not an M.D. or D.O, but still very highly trained) could help, but in my experience, most optometrists spend most of their time conducting eye exams for the purpose of prescribing eyeglasses, where an ophthalmologist has more training and experience in dealing with diseases of the eye.

Whichever one you choose to have examine you may be able to rule out the notion that you have any sort of disease of the eye, astigmatism, etc.

Once any physical problems with your eyes themselves are ruled out, and if the problems persist, that would be the time to follow Seymor B. Fudd's advice about seeing a psychologist specializing in cognitive/perceptual matters.

Incidentally, I sometimes experience a similar problem with the notes below the staff. My brain is telling me it's a "C" when the note on the page is actually an "A." It is worse when I am fatigued.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Wadey_W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice here guys, it helps me out
I really appreciate it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: