• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Younger students with throat issues: Best practice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Younger students with throat issues: Best practice? Reply with quote

Teaching trumpet students, „throat issues“ are something I hear/see quite often. Helping older students (16+ y.) to overcome these issues is something I usually don’t have problems with: It’s about explaining them, what is happening and what to do or change to make things work like they should. Unfortunately, this is something that doesn’t really work too good with my younger students (8-12 y.). To keep it short – they need less words and more easy & fun exercises to experience how playing the trumpet with less effort should feel. I already read and tried quite a lot and I think I am a pretty self-reflected teacher, but I have to say: I'm still not satisfied with the outcome of my pedagogic efforts with this.

I’m sure, there are teachers out there and among this online-community, who found great exercises and advices to help especially younger students to overcome throat-issues and keep them from building bad playing habits. So what about collecting some best practice examples in this thread?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singing with a resonant sound and good projection.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Have them sing "eeee" then "ahhhh". The "fogging the mirror" example also works. sitting, take a deep breath keeping shoulders down and relaxed and letting their belly button push out as they inhale. The old toilet paper, paper towel, or wrapping paper tube in the mouth to breathe through can help. Also check out the Breathing Gym.
clare

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great question. I've found it common in young students to use the throat to stop sound when articulating, especially with staccatto notes. Here's a tip to help with that issue: Have students wear tight headphones or ear plugs while they're playing. It allows them to actually hear their throat stopping the air. Awareness is the first step!

-Clare
Private lesson teacher in Texas
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fog a mirror with contractions in the throat. I think of that foggy, mirror clouding mist as originating in an open throat saying a deep "aaah".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: