• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tune Up! Aebersold Vol. 67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Tune Up! Aebersold Vol. 67 Reply with quote

This book is giving me a brain freeze. Any tips for learning the heads in all 12 keys?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning melodies in multiple keys is all about knowing your intervals from any note, and then learning the melody in the original key while thinking about it in terms of those intervals. Then generalize that to different starting points.

"Sweet Georgia Brown" is probably easiest to shed this way.

With "Sweet Georgia Brown", in our standard key of Bb, the first phrase (transposed) is

G-A-B-G-D-C-E-D-G--D-B-G

So you can think of this as "Okay, what key am I in? My starting phrase is a always a V7 a minor third below that key, and the phrase I play over that dominant chord (using that chord's scale) is:

1-2-3-1-5-3-6-5-8--5-3-1

So learn that phrase in all twelve keys. You're just about halfway to learning the head in all twelve keys because this phrase (or a variation of it) makes up most of the head on this tune. (The second phrase, over the dominant chord up a fourth is

G-A-Bb-G-D-Bb-E-D-G--E-D-C

...you can work out the relationships over our C7, or you can just play the first phrase with a b3 and resolve it slightly differently. That gets you 16 bars into it...)
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the following to work. I'll use I Got Rhythm as an example, as this is the most widely used set of changes out side of the blues, and learning the melody in all keys is a good place to start. It's important to note you must be fluent on your horn in all keys to start with. First be sure you can sing the tune, at least in your head. I then pick out what I call "target intervals". These are important notes in the tune. For Rhythm it's the 5th, 11th(4th) and 3rd. Starts on the 5th of the key, first wide interval jump is to the 11th(4th), the bridge starts on the 3rd. In concert Bb (original and most widely used key), the notes are F, Eb, D. Bb trumpet G, F, E. When you can play the melody by ear in Bb, it becomes fairly easy to move the target notes to other keys. Let your ear lead you.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a 12-sided die on my desk (like you would use for D&D). When I'm practicing standards, I'll often roll the die to pick a random key to play the tune in.

Start doing that for a while and you'll learn to transpose on the fly with no problems.
thomasmarriott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start small, try just getting the first bar or two (or phrase) in all 12 keys. I find it helps if I practice anything in 12 keys both chromatically and around the cycle. Sometimes a whole melody is kind of a lofty goal at first.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice all, thanks!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two suggestions.

First, memorize the song in the original key. Memorize both the melody and the chords.

Second, if you're having trouble with 12 keys, don't do it. Instead focus on the more common keys. For trumpet, that might be A, D, G, C, F, Bb. If that's too much, then go with fewer keys. As you get better at it, you can add more keys.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead on. Also think this way when you transcribe solos, always in terms of intervals/scale degrees/numbers, that way you can play it in any key (provided you know your scales).

jazz_trpt wrote:
Learning melodies in multiple keys is all about knowing your intervals from any note, and then learning the melody in the original key while thinking about it in terms of those intervals. Then generalize that to different starting points.

"Sweet Georgia Brown" is probably easiest to shed this way.

With "Sweet Georgia Brown", in our standard key of Bb, the first phrase (transposed) is

G-A-B-G-D-C-E-D-G--D-B-G

So you can think of this as "Okay, what key am I in? My starting phrase is a always a V7 a minor third below that key, and the phrase I play over that dominant chord (using that chord's scale) is:

1-2-3-1-5-3-6-5-8--5-3-1

So learn that phrase in all twelve keys. You're just about halfway to learning the head in all twelve keys because this phrase (or a variation of it) makes up most of the head on this tune. (The second phrase, over the dominant chord up a fourth is

G-A-Bb-G-D-Bb-E-D-G--E-D-C

...you can work out the relationships over our C7, or you can just play the first phrase with a b3 and resolve it slightly differently. That gets you 16 bars into it...)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I do occasionally is to use iRealPro (or Band-in-a-Box) and program in major or minor 2-5-1 changes in all 12 keys through the cycle of fifths and just jam over that for a while:

|D-7|G7|CM7|CM7|
|G-7|C7|FM7|FM7| etc.

or

|Dm7b5|G7b9|Cm|Cm|
Gm7b5|C7b9|Fm|Fm| etc.

You can even program in relative major/minor cycles like the "Autumn Leaves":

|E- A7|DM7 GM7|Cm7b5 F7b9|B-| etc.

or the reverse:

|Bm7b5 E7b9|A-|D-7 G7|CMaj|
|E-7b5 A7b9|D-|G-7 C7|FMaj| etc.

Running those cycles through all 12 keys at a SLOW TEMPO will get the sound in your ears and fingers. Then when you have to transpose whole tunes into those keys you'll have a great starting point - your ears and fingers will be aligned.

I hope this is helpful - Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: