• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lost in the Mail?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Lost in the Mail? Reply with quote

Back on January 1st, I purchased a horn from some one here on TH. The email communications were brief and far between. In retrospect, I should have pulled out of the deal. But regretably, I went through with the purchase and sent the money. The person did not charge me for shipping and claims to live in the UK (I live in the US). Before I sent money, I asked about shipping and requested tracking information. I got none of that. The person said it was shipped but did not get tracking information because it would have cost too much extra...

Here we are, 2.5 months later, and no horn. From reading this, you would probably assume I was scammed. However, the person maintains contact with me whenever I email them. According to him, it could take up to 90 days for something to ship overseas, which is true if it is shipped by the cheapest methods possible.

Not sure where to go from here. I paid with PayPal, but through Family and Friends which I believe I cannot refute. Any suggestions from people who have possibly dealt with oversea shipments?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless this was a big dollar sale not charging for international shipping seems very odd.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once ordered a CD on Ebay that shipped from Germany. It took two or more months. By the time I got it, I had forgotten I had ordered it. But, it was a CD and it cost less than $10. Not sure that helps or is applicable, but it's what I've got.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends and Family is meant for just that and offers no protection to buyers and sellers. Scammers love using it...
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update to this post. We are now 11 months after the purchase date and still no horn. To the seller's credit, he did stay in contact with me up until recently and now he refuses to respond to my emails or request to get a refund. I do believe the seller acted in good faith and sent the horn but he was not responsible in the way he shipped it.

Buyer beware if you see anything for sale from Roger Hamilton [rogertpt].
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Friends and Family is meant for just that and offers no protection to buyers and sellers. Scammers love using it...

I don’t understand how so many people fall into the trap of using this with total strangers.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't the shipment have a tracking number? Did you ask what service or was it a private ship carrier?

Anywho, 2 months is quite a long time even for shipment be seas.
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why wouldn't the shipment have a tracking number? Did you ask what service or was it a private ship carrier?

No tracking number and no insurance. He said it would have cost him twice as much to ship it (an option he didn't give me to offer to pay for). He was completely irresponsible in the way he shipped it. Which is my argument for getting a refund. He was irresponsible. He lost the horn. I shouldn't have to pay for his mistake.

And yes, I agree that I made a huge mistake paying through family and friends. Learned my lesson.[/quote]
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone, even a friend or relative, who asks you to pay for merchandise using PayPal Friends and Family, is violating their PayPal agreement, and asking you to join with them in defrauding PayPal. That should tell you that the seller is dishonest.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I didn't mention this earlier, but you can issue a charge back through your credit card if you linked the credit card to the account you used to send the money.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost in the Mail? Reply with quote

Zack_Mac wrote:
Back on January 1st, I purchased a horn from some one here on TH. The email communications were brief and far between. In retrospect, I should have pulled out of the deal. But regretably, I went through with the purchase and sent the money. The person did not charge me for shipping and claims to live in the UK (I live in the US). Before I sent money, I asked about shipping and requested tracking information. I got none of that. The person said it was shipped but did not get tracking information because it would have cost too much extra...

Here we are, 2.5 months later, and no horn. From reading this, you would probably assume I was scammed. However, the person maintains contact with me whenever I email them. According to him, it could take up to 90 days for something to ship overseas, which is true if it is shipped by the cheapest methods possible.

Not sure where to go from here. I paid with PayPal, but through Family and Friends which I believe I cannot refute. Any suggestions from people who have possibly dealt with oversea shipments?

I've got a feeling that cousin Basil is hole up in a Cornwall inn with a little tart in one hand, a hand drawn ale in another, and your horn under the bed. Tell your guy to get Basil on the bloody ship!

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: