• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns and range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Horns and range Reply with quote

I own two B ♭ trumpets 1. Bach Artisan 2. Yamaha Zeno 8335R. I am a solid adult student with decent range. I have been playing the Yamaha almost exclusively for the last few months. I picked up the Bach during practice the other day and noticed something wierd. The range of B above the staff and up seemed a little harder on the Artisan than on the Yamaha. Add to that, a new Carol Brass Dizzy pocket Trumpet which is new, (great horn by the way), the same range seemed even easier than on the Yamaha. I suppose it could be exhaustion, or mind games during long sessions but....... Can certain horns play easier up there? If so, what phenomenon makes it so? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just speculation, since I've not played any of those trumpets, but perhaps it's the resistance from the design or manufacture (e.g., gap) of the Bach that makes it "harder" to play in that register.

In my experience, Bach trumpets, in general, tend to have fairly high resistance, the Commercial Trumpet being the exception, though some of them are tighter than others.

I have a Bach Anniversary and a Bach Commercial Trumpet. Both have been "blueprinted." With the same mouthpiece, my upper range is a minor third higher with the Commercial than with the Anniversary. I attribute that to the resistance. It's obvious from the first blow that the Commercial has significantly less resistance than the Anniversary.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Horns and range Reply with quote

lexluther wrote:
I own two B ♭ trumpets 1. Bach Artisan 2. Yamaha Zeno 8335R. I am a solid adult student with decent range. I have been playing the Yamaha almost exclusively for the last few months. I picked up the Bach during practice the other day and noticed something wierd. The range of B above the staff and up seemed a little harder on the Artisan than on the Yamaha. Add to that, a new Carol Brass Dizzy pocket Trumpet which is new, (great horn by the way), the same range seemed even easier than on the Yamaha. I suppose it could be exhaustion, or mind games during long sessions but....... Can certain horns play easier up there? If so, what phenomenon makes it so? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
They can and do play "better" for some people up there. That's why most will advise, "Try before you buy" or "Play before you Pay". I played a friends horn and it played much easier for me than him. I rode it up to high G easily and it was amazing! He won't sell it to me either!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be too cynical but I frequently find that when I can play higher on a new horn that the extra range evaporates after a little while.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
This is just speculation, since I've not played any of those trumpets, but perhaps it's the resistance from the design or manufacture (e.g., gap) of the Bach that makes it "harder" to play in that register.

In my experience, Bach trumpets, in general, tend to have fairly high resistance, the Commercial Trumpet being the exception, though some of them are tighter than others.

I have a Bach Anniversary and a Bach Commercial Trumpet. Both have been "blueprinted." With the same mouthpiece, my upper range is a minor third higher with the Commercial than with the Anniversary. I attribute that to the resistance. It's obvious from the first blow that the Commercial has significantly less resistance than the Anniversary.

Take care,
Marc Speed

More resistance in the horn (up to the point of too much resistance - it would be unusual for any trumpet to reach this point without an internal obstruction) makes the high range easier (and the low range more difficult) compared to horns with less resistance. So, yes, different trumpets can offer an easier or more difficult higher register (up to the point of your existing range) depending on their resistance factor.

Of course the relationship of the mouthpiece to the horn is a factor as well and that relationship can vary from horn to horn with the same mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: