• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flow Issue? Not quite sure...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Flow Issue? Not quite sure... Reply with quote

It's an odd topic and I understand, but something odd is happening whenever i play.

Whenever I'm doing a chromatic run or even basic scale exercises, sometimes the note will just stop and air will be all that you hear. It's not that big of a deal, but I have a solo in a piece we are reading and more or less that is when it happens.

I havent made any major changes recently, i started using chapstick again after my friend convinced me and i switch from a System Blue KTPM1 to a 3C, in which helped the start off issue, but at the cost of more effort to play hight notes.

Now the effect to changing mouthpiece is going and i can feel myself going back to how it was before.

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this and I appreciate tips, thank you all!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the lips stop vibrating. If the notes are speaking and then suddenly there's a gap with air and no vibration you may be opening up your aperture too far. If you keep doing the fingerings do the notes suddenly continue speaking after the gap or, in the alternative, once the notes stop speaking does the problem continue as you try to go up the scale?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Flow Issue? Not quite sure... Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
I havent made any major changes recently, i started using chapstick again after my friend convinced me and i switch from a System Blue KTPM1 to a 3C, in which helped the start off issue, but at the cost of more effort to play hight notes.

Now the effect to changing mouthpiece is going and i can feel myself going back to how it was before.

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this ...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Was the mpc change done in hope of improved sound quality? If "going back to how it was" is about the sound, then maybe the 3C isn't the full answer.

What is it about the KTPM1 that you are trying to change, and what is the goal of the change?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Obviously the lips stop vibrating. If the notes are speaking and then suddenly there's a gap with air and no vibration you may be opening up your aperture too far. If you keep doing the fingerings do the notes suddenly continue speaking after the gap or, in the alternative, once the notes stop speaking does the problem continue as you try to go up the scale?

+1
Auraix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the occasional note, if it doesnt come out and I keep going, the other notes will come out just fine. I'm just not sure why it happens in the first place or why the note that drops off changes
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this procedure very helpful.

Long tones. Be patient, there's method to this madness.

Use the long tone continuity but slurring the scales, keeping the air flow constant.

Lightly tongue the scale notes but keeping the same air concept as when playing a long tone.
- The tongued portion aim is not to separate the notes but to have the concept of a long tone merely broken up by light tonguing. Keep the air consistently moving.

It may be helpful to do the same procedure buzzing (any note) to see and hear that your air-flow-to-buzz is consistent.

This does not address a mpc change, which might be also useful.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s a flow issue, this will reveal it: https://www.jayfriedman.net/articles/trompete_
trumpetman146

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use flutter Tonguing to work on flow problems. The flutter tongue needs a very fast and even air stream to remain smooth. Flutter tongue the lick a few times and then play it normal while maintaining the same feeling of steady air.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t experience this problem, but when I feel my tone isn’t what it should be I shift my concentration to the air flowing smoothly over my lower lip, and things seem to come back shortly.. this may simply be a mis-direction so my aperture can correct itself?
Rod
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google doesn't recognize that exact part number. The closest I could find, King KTP1, compared it to a 6A4a. If you're making a relatively radical change I wouldn't be surprised that you'd have issues like this, at least for a while. I agree that returning to fundamentals for a while should help.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the time trouble is caused by an air problem. This is undoubtedly one of those times.

Go to the Bill Adam thread and check out "blowing bubbles".

Or get a lesson with me. They are free April; 1-5.
bbergren1728@gmail.com to schedule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: