• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noahprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Embouchure change Reply with quote

Who has changed their embouchure before? How long did it take? Why did you change it?

I have a strange one in which my top lip almost comes over the mouthpiece and i feel like I need to change it. What did you do to begin this process?

Thanks.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure change Reply with quote

I have to 'adjust' things before and 'change' things over the decades. the VERY first thing you need is expert guidance. The very best you can afford as this will save you $$$ in the long run.

Then you need patience and realise you are not changing, you are creating something new: a new habit which takes some time to do, a degree of patience and perseverance.

For the practical side of things - you describe a setting where the mouthpiece is far too low and your top lip falls out. So, the thing to do is play with the mouthpiece siting lower down. 50/50 is nice, depending on your facial shapes. This is where the teacher comes in. If there is no one local, get someone on-line.

cheers

Andy
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of embouchure corrections that teachers make is because the students mpc. was placed too low.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0uuFa59brVvSCcdo49YT6OeDOSeEq_q/preview?fbclid=IwAR3398ByC5Pw8kyH0DK5V_Cs6gwkxX1e96_lNWP4cLsfSNzwYdmIWQmE7TI

It's a lesson by someone who is a member on this site (Billy, I believe). Wow what a relaxed, stress-free way to play. Wish I had started like this!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my embouchure during my 10th grade year in high school. At the time I played off to the side with most of my top lip out of the mouthpiece. I started the change over the summer with the help of my band director (a tuba player) who passed me off to a college senior at the local college for weekly lessons. The whole process took the better part of the summer and school year (6-8 months). Be prepared to be frustrated almost daily and have your will tested.

You play the way you do currently for a reason. Make sure that you understand what that is before you start so that the root cause of your issue is corrected. That is the importance of having a good instructor.

Good luck.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure change Reply with quote

noahprince wrote:
Who has changed their embouchure before? How long did it take? Why did you change it?

I have a strange one in which my top lip almost comes over the mouthpiece and i feel like I need to change it. What did you do to begin this process?

Thanks.

Noah,
Maybe. I've done much experimentation in my career. If I do say so myself? I'm a pretty good source on the subject. A short bio.

Last Spring after just turning 63 y/old and playing 54 years? Including making my living a good number of years while working at nightclubs? My dentist informed me that my top front, right incisor was dead. No need to extract. As she assured me that the damned thing would soon break off clean at the gumline

This was a sad piece of news at the time Noah. As I was a pretty good trumpet player with tons of experience playing lead. That and a most potent G above high C. Great volume and command of the instrument. In fact all of my notes up to G were both potent and very accurate. And in fact abt two months later the described tooth did break off. While I was brushing my teeth over at my pastor's house it fell into the sink. I was house sitting for her at the time. Feeding the 2 dogs and her two cats. I've always tried to look at the tooth loss happening at my priest's house as being a matter of great spiritual connection. And I will stop here. As I dont want to violate the rule nixxing religious topics.

But with my incisor gone? My whole upper register died with it. Replaced implants is not an option for me. That and would be a subject for another day. I can't even begin to tell you how devastating this was Noah. However there is a silver lining.

Some 8 months before the tooth broke off? I had already been forming a new embouchure. My goal was to finally defeat my high G cut-off point. This embouchure change was radical Noah. Take note here! When most cats talk about "fixing their embouchure"? They're usually just describing something kind of ordinary. Like putting a little more upper lip into the mouthpiece. Or more lower like vice versa. In my own case?

The change that I made actually raised the angle which my horn came off my teeth formation some 21 degrees or so higher. From my experience one of the trickiest things about an embouchure occurs if one decides to fool around with a change to a much more forward jaw positioning. Such as I'm doing.

I've gotta restart my computer now Noah. Let me know if you want me to elaborate more on this issue. To my thinking? It is most important that I know in advance WHY an embouchure change is necessary. That and what I need to expect during the interim.

Best regards for now. Again? Glad to help just let me know if you're interested in my continued explanation on the subject. Lionel, over & out.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure change Reply with quote

I have. A while ago I had changed my jaw position which was way wide open. This was a big change to me that took months to get back to where I was. It can be disheartening and frustrating. It would help to not have any need to perform while making a big change.
The way you play now is muscle memory kind of learning. It takes time and consistency. I think probably the more change you do at once, the harder it is to be consistent.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This!

gwood66 wrote:

You play the way you do currently for a reason. Make sure that you understand what that is before you start so that the root cause of your issue is corrected. ...

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most times when I've seen an embouchure change prescribed I haven't seen an adequate explanatiin of why the old chop setting was deficicient. Nor why the proposed change was better. I've seen explanations. I just didn't agree with them.

That isn't to say that there aren't poorly performing chop settings. We see these. every day. An embouchure is comparable to a clarinet reed, ligature and mouthpiece combination. All of the parts must be assembled properly. Otherwise the music eill suffer. There's only one proper way to assemble a clarinet.

While there are variances in trumpet embouchure formations? You must choose one without liitations. Unless you're able to accept those limitations.

And much depends upon what the trumpet player is striving for. If he doesn't want to play a high C? Maybe almost any embouchure formation will work. Except for the absurd. But if he wants to be a powerful lead player? He "must assemble the parts correctly". Without exception.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
noahprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the remarks and links. Very helpful. I feel that whenever I was younger, I pushed my bottom lip into the cup more as this allowed me to instantly play higher. The more I push up on the mpc with my top lip barely in it the higher I can play, however the sound is pinched, inconsistent, and extremely unreliable. So I feel that my current embouchure has just been a shortcut.

I have already been working on my own on getting more of the top lip into the cup and plan to make the full switch over the Summer and also get a teacher to assist me and aim to get back to where I am now sometime in the fall.

I don't care to necessarily be a screaming lead player, however sometimes I struggle to even get out of the staff, or I feel like I can't play for long at all. I just want to be able to consistently hit a D/Eb and have that extra gear to get me to a high G. I am more of a jazz combo/soloist player and just want the full range of the instrument to be accessible. I feel like I have soo many good ideas in my improv but what a waste when I can't even have the chops to get my ideas across. I thought that I wasn't practicing enough but I practice for about 4 hours on average everyday and I feel like I've just been hitting a wall and possibly hurting my chops with how my mpc. is currently placed.

Thanks again for the comments. Very appreciated.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an embouchure change during my senior year in high school. I had physically outgrown the mouthpiece I was using at the time and unintentionally developed a habit of rolling my bottom lip in over my bottom teeth. This was my subconscious way of getting enough lip inside the rim. It was causing problems, and my teacher and I agreed that I should change to a more conventional setup. I also moved to a larger mouthpiece, which helped reduce the urge/need to roll in.

It took a few months to get my feet under me with the new way of playing. I had to concentrate really hard to avoid lapsing back into the old way. And for years afterward, I still had to remind myself to set up and play the new way. After a while, the new way became normal and I no longer had to think about it.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, here's an interview with Tom Hooten where he described an embouchure change he did while in grad school. He was motivated and determined, and he felt he had to do something, so he took ownership of his situation and made it work. Interesting read.
Piccolo Stomvi
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noahprince wrote:
... I pushed my bottom lip into the cup more as this allowed me to instantly play higher. The more I push up on the mpc with my top lip barely in it the higher I can play, however the sound is pinched, inconsistent, and extremely unreliable. ...

--------------------------------------
Regarding your mouthpiece, teeth, and lips - do they feel like they 'fit' when using a traditional embouchure and mpc placement?

If you are using a mouthpiece of a special size because it works with your old embouchure, then it might not be appropriate for the new one.

Also, do your teeth (especially the upper ones) cause any painful pressure on your upper lip, when using the new embouchure? And similar for your lower teeth.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on my embouchure for over a year. I joke that I am on “embouchure #9” now.. For me at least its not like I just moved to the new thing and it was double high C’s all night after a few weeks of getting used to it, it has been a step by step journey with it getting a little better each time. I expect its also that way for other people, especially those pushing 60 like myself. It just takes time to figure out what muscles you are supposed to use and what you are supposed to be doing with the lips, mouthpiece, and muscles.

Just last week I switched to #9 from #8. I thought #8 was great, but I had a lesson and my teacher pointed out my lips were rolled in too much. So its been back to free buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing to help me learn #9. Its not a lot different from #8, but its definitely an improvement. In a little over a year I have gone to only being able to play a high C with a near-hernia of effort to being able to play pp long tone high C’s.

Which brings me to my main point. I don’t think I would have ever figured out how to get my #2, #3, ... #8 going let alone #9 without my teacher. We know a lot more about the mechanics of trumpet embouchures today and experts are out there who can really make a difference in your playing. How many professional baseball pitchers don’t have a coach who is videoing every single twitch in their swing and offering adjustments? You guessed it, none — every pitcher today is getting their swing adjusted. That’s because there is a game that needs to be won, now. It’s less clear on the trumpet and many players spend their lives playing on a weak embouchure because they are in a rut and there is no force (like threat of transfer to the minors) to get them out of it.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure change Reply with quote

noahprince wrote:

Thanks.

The week of April 1-5 I am giving free lessons via Skype and I have a few open slots.

Email me at bbergren1728@gmail.com if you are interested.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age. We all lose some vital capacity as we age. I am now 57 years old. When I "came back" to trumpet playing after many years, even though I primarily play tuba, when an ensemble I am in needed a 1st section player, I was appalled at myself not having the stamina I had in high school and college in the late '70s and '80's with the standard mid-70's Bach 3C I purchased and played then and still have on the shelf. After a mouthpiece safari, and help from friends who were trumpet majors in college , including one who taught beginning band with an emphasis in instrument fitting, it became apparent it was not my embouchure, but my breath support. So I purchased a 3C with the slightly tighter #76 backbore instead of the stock #10 backbore. This gave just enough resistance to help me manage my breath support and get my endurance back, as well as cleaning up intonation since I could focus on playing and not "managing." Range? I never had that great of a range, even back then, but good enough for concert band literature. I can tell you my range and technique is really no less than back then, even though I will always struggle with endurance, as I did then, in spite of everything: different approaches, different practice literature, different teachers, etc. It is just who I am who loves to play trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: