• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha YFH-631

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have 631and 731 flugelhorns, several of them.

Isn’t there some story about earliest models being made in Japan with metal valve guides and later models made in the US with plastic guides? I know that I’ve seen both metal and plastic on a 731.

As a matter of fact, a friend had a 731 with metal valve guides that I remember being the absolute best flugel I ever played period. It was magical. It would vibrate in your hand and set the air around you to shimmering. I begged the owner to sell it to me until I made a nuisance of myself.

What is the difference in the old 631 and the 631G you see advertised? Is it a gold brass bell instead of the rose brass? Do they still even make a rose brass model?
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the differences between the 631G and the 8310Z?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
I used to have 631and 731 flugelhorns, several of them.

Isn’t there some story about earliest models being made in Japan with metal valve guides and later models made in the US with plastic guides? I know that I’ve seen both metal and plastic on a 731.

As a matter of fact, a friend had a 731 with metal valve guides that I remember being the absolute best flugel I ever played period. It was magical. It would vibrate in your hand and set the air around you to shimmering. I begged the owner to sell it to me until I made a nuisance of myself.

What is the difference in the old 631 and the 631G you see advertised? Is it a gold brass bell instead of the rose brass? Do they still even make a rose brass model?

This is exactly my flugel , four digit serial number and metal valve guides and exactly as you describe it AND the best of all is that I get it from a pawnshop for 400 or 500 bucks 😎
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

Yes, the discontinued 631 has a rose brass bell and the current 631G has a gold brass bell.

When I first tried an older 631, I finally realized what it should feel like to play flugelhorn. I had been playing on cheaper copy of this horn and the two were not comparable in any way. I ended up taking that 631 home with me. I use a Curry FLD mouthpiece with it and get compliments on my tone all the time. I tell people it's the horn, not me.

Many seem to find the 631 favorable to the 631G. I only tried them back to back once but did find the 631 to have a slightly warmer sound with more core. I'd definitely recommend putting a trigger on if you're going to play it often. Mine came with one and I could never get away without it, especially on the low G and F-sharp!
Piccolo: Kanstul 920
myvalves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 631 is one of the best flugelhorns at any price. The rose brass bell makes the sound warm and full. Plays and sounds better than most modern $2000+ flugelhorns and gives the vintage Couesnons a nice run for their money, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: