• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good music theory books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: good music theory books Reply with quote

My old AP theory book just ran out and i cant access it anymore, so that leaves the question of what are good books to read and learn with.

I would say im pretty ok at theory and scored a 3 on the exam. I dont know if that helps or means anything to you guys but if you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: good music theory books Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
My old AP theory book just ran out and i cant access it anymore, so that leaves the question of what are good books to read and learn with.

I would say im pretty ok at theory and scored a 3 on the exam. I dont know if that helps or means anything to you guys but if you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful

I used the second edition of "Harmony and Voice Leading" by Aldwell and Schachter. Here is a link.

link

I thought it was very good and very clear. Newer editions have come out since. I dont know anything about them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Harry
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: good music theory books Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Materials-Tonal-Thomas-Benjamin/dp/0534526233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547971439&sr=8-1&keywords=benjamin+tonal+music

Great text that gives examples, and is clear and concise. I use this course book every time I teach music theory.

HTH!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Tonal Harmony by Kostka and Payne. To me it is written in a way that non-theorists can understand. I used to use it to clarify what I had read in the Aldwell & Schachter.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
3bflat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation on this book "Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory: A Complete Self-Study Course for All Musicians (Book & 2 CDs)"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what "scoring a 3 on the exam" means, but you can't go wrong with Paul Hindemith's Elementary Training for Musicians followed by his The Craft of Musical Composition. Nadia Boulanger swore by them in a very demanding manner.

If you're also looking for a good jazz theory text, Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book is also superb, but it does have a sharp learning curve.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the best:

https://monoskop.org/images/8/84/Schoenberg_Arnold_Theory_of_Harmony_1983.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: