• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Startling improvement after adjusting to embouchure change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Startling improvement after adjusting to embouchure change Reply with quote

When I formed my new chop setting about 15 months ago I wanted it to be based on at least a 4 & 1/2 octave range right from the very beginning. As I already had strong mouth corners from decades of lead playing it wasn't so hard to set up my new chop setting for the described notes. My goal here was to finally defeat my high G cut-off point.

The main problem with my new embouchure was that it basically made me a raw beginner again. My endurance was awful. I lacked flexibiity and accuracy too. As I tired my sound went to hell. Plus the whole process challenged my mindset. I didn't know if the darn thing would ever work. Even my articulation inc double tonguing lost it's former luster. And speed too.

However most all of us had chop weaknesses in the beginning too. Ive found that in our process to keep pace with our peers we tended to almost automatically do things with our chops that make our lower register respond better. However in the process of making these beneficial short term adjustments? We usually end up with embouchures completely unable to blow the whole range of the instrument. This may not be the only reason for so many range challenged trumpets but it's probably a major one.

I think that most beginners drop their jaw soon after starting the trumpet. To get a bigger sound in the lower register where most of their band music and practice exercises are written. And while some receded jaw players do have pretty strong chops? They're not usually found among double C lead players. This was what I wanted to fix. In turn my new chop setting sets my horn facing at a much higher angle upwards. From throwing my jaw out it now places my horn about 21 degrees higher. Above the music stand for once. Directors kinda like that.

I've always been intrigued with a true story I read about a powerful lead player whom we all would recognize. The story goes that In his first year on the trumpet he couldn't hit a low C well. Meanwhile however he had a most impressive extreme upper register.

Indeed this is the condition I've been dealing with on my new chop setting too. However with persistent practice including several weekly rehearsals? Mt lower tones are starting to open up nicely. Without receding my jaw like I used to do. In turn my endurance has improved greatly and the tone is now starting to ring like before but with almost a more professional brilliance than I once had.

There isn't time to discuss everything I did to make this more forward jaw setting start to work. In fact a forward jaw movement was not the only thing I changed. As without combining a major adjustment of my lower lip texture too I couldnt even get a sound out of a forward jaw setting. Yeah it's a little tricky to understand but not an insurmountable problem.

Interestingly I started playing this new way just in order to break through my range ceiling. However I'm continuing with it now in part part because I like the sound better than before. As well as for other reasons. Clearly I have more work to do but no regrets for making the change. It can be very frustrating to carry a range ceiling around as long as I've had to. But no more!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel,

Great story! This seems to be an all-around improvement. Any sound samples?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Lionel,

Great story! This seems to be an all-around improvement. Any sound samples?

Write me a pm. Will share sample over text or email files.

But you're right, this is great news. In some ways I kinda wish that I'd kept a diary of my whole experience starting Dec, 2017.

However much of my recent progress came about only after I literally forced muself to take a seat playing 2nd and 3rd cornet parts in the local community blands. Whoops! Meant "band", sorry! My point being (humor attempts aside) that just practicing at home wasn't enough. Needed the conductor's baton to really push myself.

And check this out Etc ,
I really hope that my first post didn't imply that I've got my stuff completely together on the new system. As I don't. It does however defiitely display what I think is an obvious potential to be a solid four octave range.

Possibly most important of all is that by starting completely over from scratch I now have a deep appreciation for what a beginner goes through now. It has been and continues to be the most educational experience which I've ever gone (and am going) through.

Take for instance my less than responsive notes below Low C. It's true. I kinda s uck at playing a Low A down to Low F#. And yet just a month or two ago my production of a Low C and D kinda stunk. So you can see this is consistent progress! Now? Had someone actually started me out on this embouchure some 50 years ago? Id have long since conquered these existing low register funkiness problems.

In fact I sorta did have the lsame lower register issues back when I first started. I never really had a good low G until high school . Stay with me now cuz this is significant.... However the way that I fixed my low G way back in high school was by dropping my jaw!!! Just as is anathema to the Stevens Triple C system.

I probably should have put "dropping my jaw" in bold type. Or? "Receding my jaw". Pretty much means the same thing. I have to be careful here. Because it is really easy to confuse others. The strange thing here is that when I was a young kid starting out on trumpet I couldn't play with a forward jaw. It wasnt until 15 months ago that I figured out WHY I couldnt play forward jaw. Like so msny of the real scream players do.

If you look around the trumpet world there's not many trumpet players with those really low horn angles who are hammering double C's. Okay there are still some and that is good for them. However sometimes the structure of their teeth automatically points the instrument low, low. Pointing the bell almost towards the ground. BUT in at least one rare case I was able to "diagnose" this fellow as still being a forward jaw trumpet. in spite of the angle his horn came off his face... The thing was that despite the low angle that his horn pointed? His upper and lower teeth still met evenly together. What happened was that his upper teeth all kinda curved inward. Like the reverse of buck teeth. teeth.

His embouchure really confused me. Because back when I first heard him play high notes his tone was far more characteristic of a forward jaw player. Meaning that he could play above high C softly. Whereas most receded jaw cats can"t do this.

Pardon any typos here but I must post this immediately or it'll get lost. My android is acting up

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: