• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A.C.B. Mouthpieces - Modern vs Standard Blanks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prlmnd1011

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: A.C.B. Mouthpieces - Modern vs Standard Blanks Reply with quote

Greetings everyone: quick question about Austin Custom Brass (ACB) mouthpiece blanks, in particular the standard and modern blank. I have never played any of these pieces. Has anyone experience playing on both? I'm looking for a big, warm, dark, creamy sound, and wondering if the heavier "modern" blank would achieve this without feeling too rigid and sacrificing flexibility. I know the "standard" blank is pretty free-blowing; perhaps that one would have a bigger sound? Maybe the "modern" blank is a more focused sound?

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both, several times. In my experience, the blank mainly affects the resistance you feel while playing, and so it affects the response. "how it feels". This will have some effect on the sound, but the effect on how it feels is much more significant.

I find the ACB modern blank almost unplayable, especially compared to how well the standard blank works for me. I do not care for the traditional blank either, although it works better for me than the modern blank.

But it all depends on many factors like how you play the instrument, what kind of music you play, what kind of trumpet you have, and which model mouthpiece you have. I am a "3C on a Strad" kind of player, for what it's worth.

The modern blank may work for you though. Call Trent. But the standard blank is standard for a reason, and would be a safe starting place at least.

For the kind of sound you are describing, you probably want his "V Series" mouthpieces... https://www.austincustombrass.biz/austin-custom-brass-v-series-trumpet-mouthpieces/

I hope this was helpful.
prlmnd1011

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Justin, much appreciated.

For me personally, I strongly prefer free-blowing equipment. I currently play a Bach 43 horn w/ 43 lead pipe and a Bach 1X mouthpiece, but will soon be transitioning to a L bore Adams A4 horn. I am NOT a lead player and my application is almost entirely small group jazz/soloing, so the darker the better

I know of the "V" series, and also think that might be best for me.

Thanks again!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanks aren't my forte but I have to put in a quick word for Trent's TA-TF. Not to big a drill size, I'd guess a 24-25 but a DEEP V (can't make it for a top; too long). I can hit a high C on it quite easily (and beyond) but it's a great piece for a rich, creamy sound. I can't say enough for it.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing ACB mouthpiece since Trent Austin started making them. I have tried and own most of the blanks. Most of the time I use the Trad blank (Bach style blank) mouthpieces seem to work best for me. MV3C, MV3CS, TA-2

I do like the modern blank in my Adams A9 large bore. It is not my usual every day player, but find that blank to work great in that horn. MV3C

My piccolo trumpet mouthpiece is standard blank, which works fantstic for me. 7PT

But lately since an accident where I fractured my elbow, I have been using Delryn/Acrylic tops (Standard blank shape) with backbores on my lightest weight trumpet. MV3C, MV3CS. These are super light, feel great on the chops, but lack a little of the sparkle the brass counterpoints have.

You can often find previous demo mouthpieces in their ebay store at about half price. I own and have tried many other sizes, these are the ones that I work with.

I believe Trent is making some of the finest trumpet mouthpieces out there.

Justin Smith
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caveat: play your new horn with your old mouthpiece for a while! You don't want to change 2 variables at the same time.

However, if you're getting an A4 (not an A4-LT), I would suggest inquiring about one of the blanks that was designed to go with the A4 (I bellieve the "slug" blank). It matches the weight of the receiver/horn quite well and that certainly used to be the most popular blank with the A4.

Enjoy your new horn!
prlmnd1011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Blanks aren't my forte but I have to put in a quick word for Trent's TA-TF. Not to big a drill size, I'd guess a 24-25 but a DEEP V (can't make it for a top; too long). I can hit a high C on it quite easily (and beyond) but it's a great piece for a rich, creamy sound. I can't say enough for it.

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your two cents in regards to the TA-TF. I've researched that one as well and am pleased to read that it's deep V cup doesn't at all hinder your high range.

All the best!
prlmnd1011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Caveat: play your new horn with your old mouthpiece for a while! You don't want to change 2 variables at the same time.

However, if you're getting an A4 (not an A4-LT), I would suggest inquiring about one of the blanks that was designed to go with the A4 (I bellieve the "slug" blank). It matches the weight of the receiver/horn quite well and that certainly used to be the most popular blank with the A4.

Enjoy your new horn!

Good advice, I am definitely going to wait until I have the new A4 before purchasing a new mouthpiece.

The thing about the "Slug" blank is that it's very heavy and I've heard/read that heavy pieces can feel rigid and affect flexibility, be less free-blowing, limit player feedback, and give the sound more core and focus. All of which I don't necessarily prefer.

bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prlmnd1011 wrote:

Good advice, I am definitely going to wait until I have the new A4 before purchasing a new mouthpiece.

The thing about the "Slug" blank is that it's very heavy and I've heard/read that heavy pieces can feel rigid and affect flexibility, be less free-blowing, limit player feedback, and give the sound more core and focus. All of which I don't necessarily prefer.

Definitely true in general, but I would reach out to the ACB staff about whether it might make sense for you. Most of the players I saw with the combo (slug MPC with A4) did not feel those downsides but the last time I worked with the pairing was 2015
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: