• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet for high school student

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1964

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Trumpet for high school student Reply with quote

I am wondering if someone could recommend a decent all around horn for a high school student. In High School I played a Claude Gordon Benge. Still my favorite horn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: recommend Reply with quote

Hello Bugs,
Welcome to the TH. I liked all the Benge CG's I tried. Should have bought one. I had a Getzen Eterna in HS myself then went to the Schilke side. Used horns I would look at Yamaha, Bach and Schilke. Same with new. Just depends on your budget. Sounds like you don't have your Benge anymore. Rats. I believe that those listed will have a better resale value. PM me if you think a Schilke might be in your future. Mostly if you kiddo is taking lessons, check with the teacher. I have other opinions so if you have specific questions, drop me a PM.
bug1964

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christian! I no longer have the Benge but I do have a Bach 72*/43 Which I don't think my kid is ready for. It's just too much. The yamaha looks like a good option.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about every manufacturer currently makes a "decent all around horn." I've played models from Adams, Bach, Blackburn, Edwards, Eastman, Getzen, Harrelson, Larson, Powell, Schilke, Shires, Stomvi, Van Laar and Yamaha that meet that description ( for me, anyway).

I'm not familiar with B&S, Carolbrass, Eclipse, Jupiter, Taylor...but suspect that they all offer a decent all around horn as well.

I've also played horns from Benge, Besson, Blessing, Conn, Holton, Kanstul (sad to include them in this category), Lawler and Sonare -- all available used only as they are no longer being manufactured -- that would meet your criteria.

The key thing is to work with the student's teacher to figure out what might be a good match and then give some horns a try.

If that is not possible, a decent starting point would probably be a Bach Strad 18037 or a Yamaha 8335ii, as those horns seem to work for a wide range of players, and have good resale potential. The Shires Q10 is worth considering in this category as well.

Good luck!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug1964 wrote:
Thanks Christian! I no longer have the Benge but I do have a Bach 72*/43 Which I don't think my kid is ready for. It's just too much. The yamaha looks like a good option.

What do you mean by "too much"? Why would this horn be "too much"? I have a 72* with a 43 leadpipe and it's no more difficult to play than any of the other 50 or so Bb trumpets in my collection. It seems to me that your 72*/43 would be a good solution.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
bug1964 wrote:

What do you mean by "too much"? Why would this horn be "too much"? I have a 72* with a 43 leadpipe and it's no more difficult to play than any of the other 50 or so Bb trumpets in my collection. It seems to me that your 72*/43 would be a good solution.

Same question here. Most any Bach Stradivarius would not only be appropriate for a high school student, but probably would also be preferred by his band directors/private teacher. (Does he HAVE a private teacher)?

Brad
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet for high school student Reply with quote

bug1964 wrote:
I am wondering if someone could recommend a decent all around horn for a high school student. In High School I played a Claude Gordon Benge. Still my favorite horn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is currently for sale (last time I checked) what is probably the last available new Burbank 6X-CG, essentially a brand new Benge CG, available from Michael Thomas Music.

The horn was manufactured by Kanstul Musical Instruments in Anaheim. You can read the story here.

Kanstul is not producing instruments, at this time, so there may never be more Burbank brand horns made. If you really liked your Benge, the Burbank 6X-CG is as good as the original or better, IMO.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
bug1964 wrote:

Same question here. Most any Bach Stradivarius would not only be appropriate for a high school student, but probably would also be preferred by his band directors/private teacher. (Does he HAVE a private teacher)?

Brad

Not necessarily disagreeing but not all Bach Strads are the same and a 72*/43 would be fairly open and take more air than say a 37.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
bug1964 wrote:

Brad

Not necessarily disagreeing but not all Bach Strads are the same and a 72*/43 would be fairly open and take more air than say a 37.

Agreed, and I realize that not every Strad is a 37 or plays like one.

Brad
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

I just played my 72*/43 and compared it to my 37. The difference in the way the horns play is negligible. The 37 has a touch more resistance. As for the difference in the amount of air necessary, it's hard to tell if there's any difference at all. The fact that one horn seems a little more free blowing than the other doesn't necessarily mean there is any significant difference in the amount of air it takes to play the more free blowing horn competently. They're the same ML bore. They're both easy to play. Of course, the 72* is a darker sounding horn than the 37. Anyone who can handle a 37 can handle a 72*. It's just a matter of acclimating to the differences.
bug1964

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
bug1964 wrote:

Brad

If it were a 37 it would be perfect. I think a few years down the road it might be a good horn for her but at this time she doesn't care for it.. No she does not have a private teacher.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how you could go wrong with a Olds Ambassador or a Special or a Studio or a Getzen 900S Eterna.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=113405&s=Benge-3X-Silver-Bb-Trumpet

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=113057&s=Getzen-700-Bb-great-condition-

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=112554&s=Getzen-Custom-3051-Trumpet
bug1964

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I appreciate all the information. I will look into all the models mentioned. Her band director is a woodwind player so he's not too much help. I use to play and have helped her get this far but it has been a while and horns have changed a lot since my HS/college days. As for the Bach, I bought it under the recommendation of my private teacher in college . Played it 6 months and never fell in love with it.
Thanks again!
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my daughter showed serious commitment to her trumpet playing, she was maybe in 7th grade. I found her a used Bach 37 for $550, with case, in very good condition, no plating wear, and no dents. Yes, it was a steal. She played it through middle and high school groups, youth orchestra, several youth jazz groups, college auditions, college orchestra and jazz ensemble, and still plays it 6 years after college.

Though you won’t find one like I did, I would go used Bach 37. It’s the Honda Accord of horns: well built, reliable, versatile, handles well, and good resale value.
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Monette Prana B2S3, B2FL, B2LS3
Monette Prana FLG2
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug1964 wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
bug1964 wrote:

Brad

If it were a 37 it would be perfect. I think a few years down the road it might be a good horn for her but at this time she doesn't care for it.. No she does not have a private teacher.

Just a suggestion, but a qualified private teacher would likely help her much more than any new horn, unless you can do both.

Brad
bug1964

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HS son plays a B&S that we both like well enough. But there was one time where he forgot his horn at school and need to march a parade. I loaned him my Bach 43/43 and liked it way better. Felt it was much easier to play.

I've owned an ML LR72 and though I liked it a lot I'd hesitate to recommend it to a student. And I suspect that the 43 pipe would be tougher to wrangle. A regular 72 or 72* with a regular 25 pipe might be okay. Note that I spent a lot of my early playing on a 0.468" Holton ST-302 MF which I get around well enough on. I wouldn't recommend that either.

I agree most any well playing ML Bach would be great.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Student trumpet Reply with quote

What brand and model does her other band members play? Are you looking for new or a used trumpet? Silver or lacquer finish? 1st slide trigger or thumb hook? 3rd slide adjustable or fixed ring?

Yamaha 2330 , Bach 300 or 400 series, Getzen 300,400, 500 series are excellent student trumpets.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
gsgleason

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your location, craigslist can be a good resource for used horns. I picked up a beat up but solid strad 37 for $800 recently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: