• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton speakeasy mouthpiece weight - opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Warburton speakeasy mouthpiece weight - opinions Reply with quote

I see Warburton has a new mouthpiece weight, called the "Speakeasy." Can anyone offer opinions? Is it helpful? Does it work as described for you?

I have tried heavy bottom caps, which I generally don't like. Also Lefreques, which are helpful for some applications, not all. Is this a similar product?
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t speak (😉) about something I have not tried, but I also have tried heavy caps, harmonic balancers and heavy mouthpieces. Generally, and this is just my opinion, I have come to believe that adding mass to any horn that was not designed with it to begin with will have negligible or even negative results.
YMMV

Addendum: I realize this post does NOT address the OP’s question, but maybe it’s somewhat relevant.

Brad
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like the place where the weights sit will make a warburton backbore look more like a Curry standard blank.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Reeves Receiver Ring is the most effective "sound tool" I've ever tried. I use one on my C.

Definitely interested in a new Warburton blank. The default one is kinda blah in my opinion.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I'll try it and give my subjective opinion.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
andrew.baxter@mac.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: C trumpet Reply with quote

Hi,
If you are able to do so could you please try on different pitched trumpets? I know you guys over there prefer C trumpets anyway (we in the UK favour Bb mostly) but if you could try D, Eb maybe even picc that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

B&S 3138/2 Bb
B&S 3137/2 Bb
B&S 3143/2 Bb
B&S 3137 Bb
B&S EXB eXquisite
B&S 3136/2 C
B&S 3116/2 Eb
B&S 3117JH Eb
B&S 3131/2 Bb/A Piccolo
B&S 3141/2 Cornet
B&S 3145 Flugel
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: C trumpet Reply with quote

andrew.baxter@mac.com wrote:
Hi,
If you are able to do so could you please try on different pitched trumpets? I know you guys over there prefer C trumpets anyway (we in the UK favour Bb mostly) but if you could try D, Eb maybe even picc that would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

Well, I have done some of this so far. More than you wanted to know possibly. The Warburton speak easy system comes with a 600 and a thicker 620. It slides on the Warburton mouthpiece using an O ring. Because it was on sale, I got the gold plated one for $10 more than the silver plated. What I like about it, in comparison with Lefreque, is you don't have to remove it to pack up the mouthpiece. It can stay on the mouthpiece indefinitely if you want. I would also advise that the effectiveness of this accessory would vary greatly depending on the equipment. My Bb and C trumpets are custom for me and me alone. They are very bright and designed for solo and contrast.

The packet comes with a thicker 620 as well as a 600. I have not found the 600 as useful or as big a difference as the 620. Musically, I noted as follows:

Quintet rehearsal on B flat. Big sanctuary. 620 (thicker piece) chosen. It enhances the sound. The lows seem more stable on some repertoire. I am playing second trumpet on some of the literature, which calls for low notes frequently.

Daily drills. On 620. It enhances and stabilizes the sound. Hard to describe, but doesn't seem to require as much effort. Improved intonation on G on top of staff, and lows are more stable. Staccato scale studies are easier, but can't articulate with the same sizzle I am looking for and with as much contrast, limiting its usefulness musically for things such as solos. I would not use this for French solos and would probably not desire it for anything where special articulation is required. I might change my mind later.

Piccolo trumpet. Fantini Sonata 1. I prefer this on A picc. Mine is a yamaha. On 600 ( because who cares about a massive sound on baroque trumpet?) It darkens the sound, which is not desirable as a soloist in a stone floor sanctuary and for a church audience and Organ. It does not improve things though it darkens the sound and makes it feel heavier. It might work for other Ensemble repertoire depending on what the principal trumpet and the section is playing on. Probably won't make a difference on picc. I imagine if I played it on the 620, it would probably sound more massive, but I'm not sure why I would want that on piccolo trumpet.

Bruckner 5 on C tpt. Comparison: 620, Lefreque red brass, and without. I have actually been playing this on a red brass lefreque because my trumpet is more of the French soloistic lyrical trumpet. This setup is great for Tchaik 4 and maybe Mahler, maybe maybe Stravinsky. But for Bruckner 5, a darker broader sound is more desirable apparently. Perhaps the conductor seeks to mimic a rotary trumpet, something heard from Berlin Phil. Regardless, my C rotary is not as good of an experience as my piston C for modern music. But I digress.

Both Lefreque and 620 are much more desirable than without. Bruckner 5 has a lot of broad rounded and contrasted notes. More specifically:

Bruckner 5 Mvt 1. In many cases, the 620 becomes too bright, where I prefer it to be dark. Compared with Lefreque, I noticed the 620 is consistently nice and stable, and more easy to play, though not always the most desirable sound in my opinion. I really like both of their sound better than without. At the conclusion of those excerpts, I am positive I can play louder with the speakeasy. Hands down better than without anything.

Bruckner 5 2nd mvt. I can play softer with the lefreque because that is what I am acclimated for on this piece. Again, the Speakeasy can play louder but is not more stable.

Intervals are easier in that spot, you know, the Arban slurs around reh E. At this point I was tiring from playing Bruckner with needless repetition. I did use the 620 last, and it did feel better.

I will keep trying this and will not be sending it back. Sometimes you just need more power and this provides that. Warburton claims that high notes are easier with this accessory. Maybe so for this equipment. But I will omit testing high notes at the end of a 1 1/2 hour session. Lefreak red brass is cheaper and works for a lot of stuff. Both are different. Again, I really like that I can leave this on the mouthpiece when packing up!!

Hope this helps!
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
andrew.baxter@mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, that’s a massive help and is much appreciated. I will get a set based on your findings.

Thanks again

Andrew

B&S 3138/2 Bb
B&S 3137/2 Bb
B&S 3143/2 Bb
B&S 3137 Bb
B&S EXB eXquisite
B&S 3136/2 C
B&S 3116/2 Eb
B&S 3117JH Eb
B&S 3131/2 Bb/A Piccolo
B&S 3141/2 Cornet
B&S 3145 Flugel
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Nice collection by the way.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Henson813p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine last week and these make a huge beneficial difference in my playing with one trade-off. Just for context I am a music teacher/band director and rehearse/perform outside of school primarily in 3 big bands and a smaller 1920's swing group.

I have also used similar weights in my mouthpieces on and off for years. Curry Lead Sleeve and a Denis Wick Heavytop Booster mostly but each of these fell out of favor and didn't give me the sound I liked.

The trade-off so far?

Feedback to my ear has changed a bit. I have only used these in 4 rehearsals and a gig last weekend (plus a looot of practicing...) and I have less feedback to my ear in a loud setting. However in 2 of the groups I have been working with I have had the lead alto and a few bones notice a big difference in the size of my sound. They came up to me to comment on how big my sound was which hasn't happened since I first sat in with them or if I am taking a solo that happened to sound OK. I didn't think I was changing too much with my playing and approach with it on but outward bound players around me heard me and spoke to how I sounded clearer, fuller.

In terms of what has improved on my end of the bell?

I will have to play around with them more but after pounding through some heavy Harry James-esque swing with a small 12 piece swing band where I usually get shredded after 3-4 hours I felt more confident towards the end of the rehearsals and gig.

Playing lead with the different big bands I do feel a strong confidence in my sound due to what feels like better slotting. I often have issued with E above the staff and the last 2 rehearsals they seem to really open up and sit right in the middle. Made my eyebrows go up for sure. Stuff above that felt great. Gs felt fatter, F# is sometimes wonky for me but that slotted really well. I didn't feel like I was smashing my chops as much - big sound with less effort. It just felt and sounded better.

I am a big gadget kind of trumpet player and love trying new things if I can and if my bank account agrees with me buying a new toy. Having bought lots of these gadgets I often get disappointed and my wallet shames me for falling for the "newest trick" thinking it will help. These have been MUCH more positive and useful so far.

I hope this helps!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine over a week ago, just in time for our current two-week run of a show.

Do I perceive a change in sound/response/blow/whatever? Yes.

Do I feel the purchase price is justified? Yes (although, we always want things to cost less, of course).

It comes with two, one heavy and the other a little lighter. So far, I consistently prefer the heavier one over the lighter...on all of the Warburton mpcs I've tested so far, 4 and 5 cup series in various depths with several different backbores.

Are there pros AND cons? Yes. So far the pros outweigh the cons. More details to come maybe next week.

What I've been told is, any time you add mass like this to a horn/mpc, you will attenuate (dampen) the sound. That saying has seemed to be consistent in my experiences with "sound enhancing devices," but coupled with the attenuation is "what I hear" to be a "separation" of certain elements in the sound, allowing those elements to be easier heard. Some of these devices dull out the sound with no side benefits. Some of them, like my limited experience with some of the high-end lefreQue models and this Warburton Speakeasy attachment, seem to accentuate some elements of the sound while permitting bristles in the overtones to penetrate, making it easier for the ear to either hear the center of the pitch and go there, or "cause" the center of the pitch to be more prevalent, if that makes sense. What I have not had time to do yet is have a professional colleague listen in a big room and give me feedback, which I hope to be able to do between shows this Saturday.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The packet comes with a 600 and 620. I am currently working on Mahler 4. There is a high singing section in Mvt 3, reh 12. I tried without the speakeasy and found it a little too taxing. I tried the 600 and 620. Again, the 620 makes a bigger sound which I may prefer on a different Mahler symphony, but for Mahler 4, I liked keeping my sound similar and did notice a difference with the 600. So on this occasion, where I prefer something I between, I liked the 600. The 620 just is too much sometimes.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new valuation? I am not very believing about whether it really brings positive values. in a two-piece mouthpiece, adding a third piece ... makes me feel insecure about its benefits
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by dstpt on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the pack about a month ago.I`m playing a 4S with an 8 backbore and a 43*Bach;I play mostly big band and salsa gigs with occasional broadway shows at this point; To me,the 600 is a nice add.Seems to live up to the title "Speakeasy." This weekend I changed to the 620 to check it out,and found that I like the 600 much more for the stuff I play; Guessing that if I had to play an Orchestral concert,the 620 might work better,but for playing that sort of gig,I would have changed to a 4MD so that jury is still out..And will probably remain out!(lol)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: