• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TCE guy trying to teach BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get my youngest son started with BE and have a question. In doing the lip clamp squeak, he can easily get between Hi C and Dubba C (I'm gonna pull his lips off with pliers, LOL). Should he still do the roll-in #1 on G3 or should he go ahead and do the exercise higher if it's easy for him? Dave
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff recomends in the book to start on high c on exercise one when g gets easy.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I think that it is more practical to go for the lower note (G top-of-staff), as that will be closer to the regular playing range of a beginner, and he is going to be eventually dragging it down, anyway.

He can always move it back up higher when he gains some experience.

How old is he? Knowing you, he's probably still in the crib!

Jeff Smiley
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

This is typical with my students. The younger they are the higher they play rolled-in. But my experience so far is that eventually they start having trouble with the high C and beyond. If they are persistantly wanting to play high C the risk of totally ruining their fragile setup is pretty big. They will do everything to play it again including excessive mpc pressure So, I always tell them to try high G instead, and more often than not they end up playing E rolled in in the right way. And this is what's most important, to get a vibrant rolled-in tone and feeling. It is not so important that they can play a high C over and over and not being able to do anything else with it.

Bert
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<How old is he? Knowing you, he's probably still in the crib! >>

Yeah.................we'll be bringing him home from the maturnity ward in a couple of days. Hope to have him double tonguing by then...................

Actually, he's 15 and been playing since 12. Has naturally strong chops......................slamdunks E3's. Just now beginning to get more serious about playing (my fault.............he overheard me listening to Wayne Bergeron CD). I think he has the natural chops we all covet. Has a beak on him that looks like a camel..............all that flesh just wrapping all around that mouthpiece. Range and endurance never a sweat. But now he wants to develop the dubba register and I suspect it'll be relatively easy for him (da#*-it). He's the opposite of his big brother who's a jazz guy and has the predictable attitude toward chops-guys.

Thanks, guys. We'll keep it at G3 til either it gets real easy or "yall" tell us different. Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: