• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hooten/Sandoval Astra Trainer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Hooten/Sandoval Astra Trainer Reply with quote

A couple of recent Youtube/Instagram/etc. postings with Arturo Sandoval and Tom Hooten have referred to a device called the Astra Trainer, which Tom Hooten demonstrates here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmSwBLg41Q/

While I certainly respect and value the endorsement from players of their calibre, I wonder if anyone else has used this device, and can share some thoughts about it? If it really does effectively help to distinguish between "support" and throat tension, it could be a really useful teaching aid.

Thanks!
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased two for my studio. Haven't used it with my students yet (just got them last week).

I can say after a short time of blowing on it, it really does make you use abdominal support. I'm sold.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - since posting, impulse has apparently overtaken patience, and I've ordered one for myself as well, so I'll have thoughts to share in a few weeks when it arrives.
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great tool at a great price. Can't beat that, so I just ordered one.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a student of Tom's at USC so I may be a bit biased but I've found it to be an invaluable tool for getting "immediacy" in my airstream as well as getting my throat out of the way. It's a great tool and it can do a lot of good. Let me know if you have any questions with it that I might be able to help with
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you guys buy this from? The Tom Hooten store links to Amazon which says unavailable at this moment. I would like to pick up one up,
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who have it, how is this different than sticking a mouthpiece in some of the Jacobs devices like the inspiron?
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
Where did you guys buy this from? The Tom Hooten store links to Amazon which says unavailable at this moment. I would like to pick up one up,

Tom is sending more to restock amazon. He can't get them fast enough
MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty cool and I can see how it could be a powerful practice tool!

One issue I see is finding a plausible explanation for the State Trooper's when I get pulled over for using this in my car. Does it come with some kind of certificate? Maybe I should save the box....
JenTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:

There is a batch on the way to amazon now, so check back in a few days or next week and hopefully they’ll post them soon. The maker is trying to find a way to keep up and make them quicker, sinceit takes him some time to make them then ship them to the US from Germany, so we’ll keep sending them to amazon as he ships them to us!

Best,
Jen
JenTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some back up on amazon! 25 for now, have another 30 on the way from Germany, and he's working on a larger batch as well. So we'll keep them coming as we get them!
Jen
JenTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
I got one to check it out, as I'll buy anything trumpet related (just ask my wife).

It seems to me that people who don't understand how to blow (the majority or fledgling trumpet players) could get confused quite easily with this device.

After doing it for a bit, I can feel what this thing is supposed to make you feel, but personally, I only get that sensation when I'm playing at the very top of my range, and that feeling of support is NOT accompanied by blowing lots of air - quite the contrary actually.

Anyway, just a word of caution I guess. Obviously Tom Hooten plays at a world class level (which is why I bought it in the first place), but personally I tried to play with that sort of force for a long time and it only caused major problems.

Agreed that it doesn’t help everyone in the same way. That's why Tom posted a short video about the astra on his IG/Facebook page. Basically, it’s saying a few useful ways to use it without overdoing it or doing it the wrong way for each person. For me personally, if I try to buzz too much on it, it's not good-it spreads my chops too much. But just for one or two times it's great to get the air straight to my chops without the extra body resistance. But I know it is different for each person depending on their set-up and their needs.
Jen

Two links to view that video are:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmSwBLg41Q/?fbclid=IwAR2TzbVmoNi2qkciaAhcMLgFN3C9UDPE2l_MgUROHMH2GjWNLbZweArKWQ8

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TomHootenTrumpet/posts/

Last edited by JenTrumpet on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I saw it after I posted which is why I deleted my post. All good - just wanted to give my perspective on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: