• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which of the two trumpets?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Which of the two trumpets? Reply with quote

I realize the forum is by high level musicians about high level equipment, but it's for this reason that I've come to you.

My nephew is about to complete his first school year of playing trumpet and I wish to gift one to him. I want it to be new and within my limited budget of $250. I've been studying about them and reading reviews for a couple of weeks and narrowed it down to two models:

Allora ATR-250S (Silver)

http://allorainstruments.com/instruments/allora-student-series-bb-trumpet-atr-250/

Jean Paul TR-330N (Nickel)

https://jeanpaulusa.com/products/the-student-trumpet-tr-330n

Which of the two is the better choice?

Thank you!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the criteria of "new" and $250 are at crossed purposes with gifting him a horn worth the having.

The triple constraint applies. Change at least one criteria. Either spend more, don't get new, or don't get him a trumpet - consider a few lessons with a GOOD teacher.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
Honestly, the criteria of "new" and $250 are at crossed purposes with gifting him a horn worth the having.

The triple constraint applies. Change at least one criteria. Either spend more, don't get new, or don't get him a trumpet - consider a few lessons with a GOOD teacher.

You're seriously saying that no trumpet is better than an inexpensive trumpet? As mentioned, I realize the forum is for upper echelon musicians and trumpets, but that seems haughty. I won't feel shamed for being on a strict budget and wishing to provide a gift.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/trumpets/bb-trumpets/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=416&min=0&sort=popular&brand=0

A number of used name brand trumpets for around $200 from a trustworthy dealer.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of the two trumpets? Reply with quote

PDXbugler wrote:

I've not played either trumpet, so I can't say which is the better choice. But I have played other Allora horns, specifically their flugelhorn, trombone, and tenor saxophone. They were decent instruments, with good fit/finish, decent valves (on the flugel), reasonable intonation, a no-frills case, and a no-frills mouthpiece.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you a further perspective, while there are good, professional players on this forum, there is also a variety of come-back players and hobbyists. There is no attempt at arrogance or condescension towards you, only well-intentioned personal experience and facts that we know.

So this forum is not only a "forum.. by high level musicians about high level equipment".

I won't say it's not impossible, but I also don't know how I, personally, would find a good, new trumpet at $250.00. I would certainly not buy one sight-unseen, unless it was from an Internet seller with a liberal return policy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/trumpets/bb-trumpets/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=416&min=0&sort=popular&brand=0

A number of used name brand trumpets for around $200 from a trustworthy dealer.

I understand and it's what I would purchase for myself. The kid is in the sixth grade and the look on his face when he opens a brand new trumpet at the end of the school year will be priceless. I'm certain it won't be the same when he receives a used trumpet. I'm aware of the risk of replacement being necessary with the models I've chosen.

I was hesitant to inquire here, but I figured once it was narrowed to two models, I might at least receive an A or B opinion, even if they're considered throwaways on the forum.

Last edited by PDXbugler on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of the two trumpets? Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
PDXbugler wrote:

I've not played either trumpet, so I can't say which is the better choice. But I have played other Allora horns, specifically their flugelhorn, trombone, and tenor saxophone. They were decent instruments, with good fit/finish, decent valves (on the flugel), reasonable intonation, a no-frills case, and a no-frills mouthpiece.

Mike

This is all I'm asking. Thank you!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of the two trumpets? Reply with quote

PDXbugler wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
PDXbugler wrote:

Mike

This is all I'm asking. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re both decent student grade trumpets with many happy owners. I would get the Allora since it’s real silver plate. Nickel is cool until it needs repair
PDXbugler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
They’re both decent student grade trumpets with many happy owners. I would get the Allora since it’s real silver plate. Nickel is cool until it needs repair

Thank you!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXbugler wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

You're seriously saying that no trumpet is better than an inexpensive trumpet? As mentioned, I realize the forum is for upper echelon musicians and trumpets, but that seems haughty. I won't feel shamed for being on a strict budget and wishing to provide a gift.

I had a high school student who had an Allora, it was in seemingly decent mechanical condition, and within three months the valves were so bad it was unplayable.
I have no direct experience with the Jean Paul, but have not heard good things.
At that price, you can probably find an older Olds Ambassador, which is a very nice horn; I have one made in ‘61 that plays surprisingly well. It’s not on the level of my pro horns, but not bad at all.

Brad
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Which of two trumpets Reply with quote

Hello,
Neither. Buy a used Yamaha 2335, Olds Ambassador or Getzen 300. You can get him a shiny, new horn when he/she wants to stick with it.
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced a similar dilemma when my granddaughter began playing. As a small girl I felt that a cornet would be a better fit, so I bought her a used King cornet for about $75. A King trumpet would cost more. Then I spent a bit more than $300 at a discount repair shop to have then dents removed have the horn relacquered. (Taylor Music Aberdeen, SD). I also spent about $75 to buy her a new case. I'm pretty sure I could not have give her the "new horn" experience with a quality horn for less. So I think your $250 ceiling is about $200 low. It might be better to save up a bit to give him the horn.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PDXbugler"]
pinstriper wrote:

I like what you want to do for your nephew. A new instrument can bring enthusiasm to a child.

That said, you are hardly the first person to ask on here about these two brands. A little searching using Google or Bing with the qualifier site:trumpetherald.com will bring up previous threads.

This forum definitely isn’t limited or even dominated by upper echelon musicians.

But it does include teachers who have experience with these inexpensive instruments. Listen to them when they share their student’s experiences.

If you decide to purchase one of these, consider the disappointment if the instrument becomes difficult to play, as pointed out by Brad. Trying to use a trumpet with sticking valves might cause your nephew to quit or not reach his potential.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have purchased lots of ‘used’ horns. Most of which looked like new and you could not tell that they were used. My advice is to search for a better quality used instrument, that is in really good condition. Cheap horns are cheap for a reason.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns are personal; maybe let the kid choose the favorite horn? A trip to Dillons or similar location is fun for everyone.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know those trumpets. They are both cheap and they are probably not too good. You must try them and make a decision on what is the best for you at this time.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First school year of playing trumpet...what is he playing now? Is there something wrong with the trumpet he has?

What about next year? You gonna buy another trumpet for him then? Why does the gift have to be a trumpet? Could get him a mute or an arbans or something. The look on his face will last only moments, as will the satisfaction you get from it.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which of two trumpets Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,
Neither. Buy a used Yamaha 2335, Olds Ambassador or Getzen 300. You can get him a shiny, new horn when he/she wants to stick with it.

Good choices, add to that list King 600/601 and Bach TR300/Bundy.

PS I am a repair tech as well as a professional player. I've seen all these horns inside and out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: