• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Band Cornet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this is not too far off topic. I have a Sovereign made about 1994. Have the receivers changed? Have Wick mouthpieces changed?
Have always been curious about this.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wick 4B that I bought new about 10 years ago and it doesn't insert in my Bach 184 receiver nearly as far as a 40? year old Wick 4 that I also have. The older one inserts to the correct depth for my cornet, so there definitely has been a change at some point.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts...

First, you will find a lot of Bach cornets around here. In Hannaford it's almost exclusively Bachs, and that seems to trickle over into some other bands. So while it isn't traditional in Britain, it is extremely common where you're actually located, which may be more relevant.

That said, nobody worth worrying about is going to freak out over a Getzen. It's a perfectly good horn, and it certainly won't stick out. The Sparx 2B may get you closer to the sound of the Bach; a lot of us play his mouthpieces and that one in particular.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that definitely lines up with what I'd gathered. Your observation about being in line with what's commonly used locally is also a good one, I think.
Brodydog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the solo chair in the Brass Band of Central Florida for 10 years. I started with a Getzen. Tried several others but ultimately decided on the Besson Prestige because of the rich tone color. There were probably other cornets that would have made my job easier but none that compared as far as tone color and blend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: