• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

27 throats...do any orchestral pros still play on those?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evillalobos12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: 27 throats...do any orchestral pros still play on those? Reply with quote

I’m just wondering because I happen to play on a mouthpiece with a 24 throat, and I know most stock mouthpieces that come with horns have 27 throats, but a buddy and I were talking and we think it’s a little funny, how orchestral pros, when asked by people (usually who aspire to one day be pros) how they choose mouthpieces or ask what mouthpieces people should buy in interviews, always answer: “Just play the mouthpiece that’s right for you”. Yet, I don’t think I’ve ever seen in any of those interviews that any of those pros play on anything with a throat numerically higher than a 25.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to his equipment page:

https://michaelsachs.com/equipment-2/

Mike Sachs uses a stock small letters 1-1/2C on Bb which means a 27 throat.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
evillalobos12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should’ve been specific: this is regarding the mouthpieces they use with their C trumpets.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Bach Symphonic mouthpieces have 26 down to 22 throats, along with a 24 backbore. They are said to have been introduced because they represent common custom mouthpieces orchestral trumpet players often request. Apparently the demand for them justifies a production run, rather than custom work.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I am aware (and I don't know much), most orchestral players like larger throats, like 24. Although Michael Sach's page says that, I would not be surprised at all if his 1.5C is drilled out.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
From what I am aware (and I don't know much), most orchestral players like larger throats, like 24. Although Michael Sach's page says that, I would not be surprised at all if his 1.5C is drilled out.

Possibly, but he specifies a 1-1/2C with a 23 throat and 117 backbore for C, D and Eb trumpets. I would think he would be just as specific with his Bb mouthpiece if it had been altered, especially since he explicitly says it's a stock mouthpiece.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 27 throats...do any orchestral pros still play on those? Reply with quote

evillalobos12 wrote:
I’m just wondering because I happen to play on a mouthpiece with a 24 throat, and I know most stock mouthpieces that come with horns have 27 throats, but a buddy and I were talking and we think it’s a little funny, how orchestral pros, when asked by people (usually who aspire to one day be pros) how they choose mouthpieces or ask what mouthpieces people should buy in interviews, always answer: “Just play the mouthpiece that’s right for you”. Yet, I don’t think I’ve ever seen in any of those interviews that any of those pros play on anything with a throat numerically higher than a 25.

Well that is a stock answer because it's generally good advice.

The other side of the coin is you have to use the right tool for the job, and a more open piston C trumpet for American orchestras is more or less going to necessitate a particular mouthpiece to balance the horn and sound production requirements.

And typically, those mouthpiece on that horn ARE just what works for them.

Not quite a pro, but on a standard Bb I use a GR66q*b (essentially an efficient, deep 3c), and as open as it is it simply has limitations on my Chicago C, which is why I use a (rather large due to old Bach tooling)Bach 3c bored out to 22 on it. Playing middle of the road soloistic stuff I can get away with the GR on the Chicago. But any extreme playing, such as the kind of playing to ride on top of 100 other instruments, or barely be heard, the GR is not the piece for that horn.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For orchestral playing on either of my Cs, I never could play loud enough on a 27 throat.

Ross Beacraft told me in a lesson when when working on Tchaik 4 that they wouldn’t even know I was alive in the CSO. Then he said to drill out my MP one size at a time until it’s too big. Then buy a new MP and drill it to the size I last liked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: