• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How Much to Practice Before a Recital?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: How Much to Practice Before a Recital? Reply with quote

Hello!

My senior recital is in about five days, and I've heard some mixed opinions on how to prepare as the date approaches. Long, messy story short, I do not study with the classical trumpet professor at my school, but with another professor, so I have not been advised on this.

One thing I have heard is to play less and less daily as the day approaches. I have also heard it is best not to play all the day before. This is complicated for me because I am always playing and do not really take "breaks."

I am not too agonized over this as I have my pieces down, but what kind of methods have worked for you?

Thank you!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: How Much to Practice Before a Recital? Reply with quote

BbTrumpet1 wrote:
Hello!

My senior recital is in about five days, and I've heard some mixed opinions on how to prepare as the date approaches. Long, messy story short, I do not study with the classical trumpet professor at my school, but with another professor, so I have not been advised on this.

One thing I have heard is to play less and less daily as the day approaches. I have also heard it is best not to play all the day before. This is complicated for me because I am always playing and do not really take "breaks."

I am not too agonized over this as I have my pieces down, but what kind of methods have worked for you?

Thank you!

It's a really good question. Glad you posted it. Asking good questions is central to "Critical Thinking". And one of the first thoughts that comes to my mind after seeing your good question is another question. One of course that I have and it goes,

"How much are you affected by over-training"? Or?

"Does your combined practice regimen and performance schedule push you into that delicate state of having "over-trained chops"?

I guess another question could be, "How quickly do you recover from O/T. That and,

Does your recital piece push your physical limits associated with endurance and range. I don't know about you but as soon as my chops tire excessively or swell up from over-training? My accuracy and tone can go to hell.

Am offering you these questions as opposed to answering your thought directly. This because I don't know you. Nor do I know what recital music you are playing. If your music is challenging, let us say with chop issues? Like you are likely to tire, chops soon swell a lot and as I said you tend to notice a reduction in tone quality caused from fatigue?

Then I personally would not practice at all on the day before. Wouldn't even blow through my warm up. Yet if most of the performance was tricky fingerings though not challenging physically? Then surely I would warm up and play the day before. Although still avoiding sustained high note phrases. Just remember that my response here will tend to be based upon my own personal experiences and prejudices. I used to beat my chops half to death when I was in college and although that was somewhat inefficient and unprofessional? It still wasn't without some value. As I became a decent lead player. Granted one with a high G limitation. Yet many of my peers had cut-off points even lower than mine. I thus became more accustomed to tolerating the great physical demands which road life entailed.

And so while I was a mediocre, classically trained fellow? None of my local peers (from back in college music program majors)? Yes sorry but none were able to make a living behind the horn. Meanwhile I did. Even though these fellows kinda kicked my butt in the recital halls back in college? I still see a rough irony in play here...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Much to Practice Before a Recital? Reply with quote

BbTrumpet1 wrote:
... I am not too agonized over this as I have my pieces down, ...

-------------------------------------------------------
I'd play enough each day to get thoroughly warmed up, and do an easy pass thru the pieces you'll perform.
Since you already have the pieces 'performance ready', I wouldn't work hard trying for more improvement - just enough to keep them good.

Do enough other easy daily playing to keep in condition, but not get tired or sore.

And DO strive for mental concentration to play completely thru the pieces - even if trouble happens, learn to recover and keep going.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I find it helpful to practice like normal up through two days before, then play a lighter day where I taper my work on the day before. On taper day, I'd go over some basic fundamentals, like tone production/response, articulation, finger dexterity, then run a few tricky excerpts from the performance material, then stop while I still feel fresh. Then on the day of, I'd do a short, simple warm up, being careful not to play too much right before the performance.

Good luck with your recital!
Piccolo Stomvi
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
For me, I find it helpful to practice like normal up through two days before, then play a lighter day where I taper my work on the day before. On taper day, I'd go over some basic fundamentals, like tone production/response, articulation, finger dexterity, then run a few tricky excerpts from the performance material, then stop while I still feel fresh. Then on the day of, I'd do a short, simple warm up, being careful not to play too much right before the performance.

Good luck with your recital!

This would pretty much be my approach also.

There’s an adage in sports that goes something like “Don’t leave your best game on the practice field.”
I used to run marathons, and while distance running is obviously very different from playing a brass instrument, I would follow a similar tapering program before the race.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: