• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who is today's best female jazz trumpeter?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingrid Jensen “wiggles her valves and plays some high notes”

Jesus tap dancing Christ.

Who is the best MALE jazz trumpet player?

Yeah that’s what I thought. Dumbass question.

Load of you folks need to open your ears, or stick on your Kenny G records and get to work compiling this list of bests. God knows it needs made. It’s a thankless task, but with people like tobylou on the case we are in safe hands.

Can anyone help me wiggle valves and then play a high note like Ingrid? I know what she does is unlistenable, but for some reason I’d be pretty happy if I could manage this lowly feat. Toby I’m looking your way. Can I get your Skype rates and copies of your cds?

Goddamn this place is going down the Swanee, and fast.

No regards,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, pretty condescending. I wonder why.

Regardless if anyone, (did anyone?) think what they were givig was a vote for THE BEST player? The O.P. is liooking for some names of people he can use to illustrate some female players. I interpret his O,P to give balance to his presentations. Pretty tame to me.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Mike, pretty condescending. I wonder why.

Regardless if anyone, (did anyone?) think what they were givig was a vote for THE BEST player? The O.P. is liooking for some names of people he can use to illustrate some female players. I interpret his O,P to give balance to his presentations. Pretty tame to me.

You wonder why?

Toby reduces Ingrid’s artistry to “valve wiggling”. I’m calling this BS out. She’s one of the best trumpet players on the planet. If you can’t hear that, fine, but making dumbass assertions like this isn’t cool. Misguided perhaps.

If the op needs to find female players it’s not hard to google or reach out via email. TH is just gonna spawn BS, as we have observed.

I’m not calling YOU out, keh, I’m calling out some of the BS in this thread - specifically that from Toby about Ingrid. If it comes across as condescending so be it.

Though if by objecting to my “condescension” you are tacitly supporting Toby’s opinion of ingrids playing, then we aren’t going to see eye to eye. Whatever.

Anyway, I’m already regretting posting. Have a nice night.

Mike

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
One more issue encountered while attending the performance of Ingrid Jensen was painful over-amplification, which was odd considering that the venue was not exactly full.

For some reason too many venues have someone who I have to assume is profoundly hearing-impaired running sound.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without having to wade through every clip of Ingrid, if can someone point out a 'standard' that they have heard, without harmon mute preferably or a Miles influenced modal approach. Seems like that area is largely avoided in the recordings, and you have to wonder why.

She deserves credit for knowing about progressions, but too many are confused into thinking that this suddenly makes you a great or even good player. It's conceivable that she has performed well on a tune like 'Joy Spring' for ex. That would convert a lot of folks, one like that.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
Without having to wade through every clip of Ingrid, if can someone point out a 'standard' that they have heard, without harmon mute preferably or a Miles influenced modal approach. Seems like that area is largely avoided in the recordings, and you have to wonder why.

She deserves credit for knowing about progressions, but too many are confused into thinking that this suddenly makes you a great or even good player. It's conceivable that she has performed well on a tune like 'Joy Spring' for ex. That would convert a lot of folks, one like that.

I'm sure she could do standards but it doesn't seem that's her thing. I don't think she's trying to convert anyone. I gather she's been successful with an audience that likes what she does.

Not a standard but check out her ride starting about 2:55 in this video. Great sound, technical agility, chops and accuracy Miles wished he'd had. Personally I hear a real solid player with a mastery of the workings of jazz.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
I’m inclined to think that if someone has any issues with Ingrid Jensen, sound, angularity, melodic content etc, they really simple have issues with jazz in general. Saw her last year and she was fabulous. Melodically and sound especially. Plus she gets around the horn like few can, without losing any musicality. If anyone were to criticize what I saw on any level, I would have simply discarded what they say as coming from someone who does not understand jazz at any level.

She’s a top shelf jazz artist and everyone knows it.

So anyone that disagrees with you doesn't know jazz. As I've said, she's fine technically, but I just wouldn't pay to hear her play. I would pay to hear Cindy Bradley. I mean, I could be misogynistic and list all the male jazz trumpeters I'd pay to hear, but who wants to be labeled a misogynist? Why don't you post the best of Ingrid for my listening pleasure??
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taste is subjective. That said, if you think Cindy Bradley is a jazz trumpet player, this might be the best resource for you:

http://www.audiologist.org/resources/audiologist-directory
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
lipshurt wrote:
I’m inclined to think that if someone has any issues with Ingrid Jensen, sound, angularity, melodic content etc, they really simple have issues with jazz in general. Saw her last year and she was fabulous. Melodically and sound especially. Plus she gets around the horn like few can, without losing any musicality. If anyone were to criticize what I saw on any level, I would have simply discarded what they say as coming from someone who does not understand jazz at any level.

So anyone that disagrees with you doesn't know jazz. As I've said, she's fine technically, but I just wouldn't pay to hear her play. I would pay to hear Cindy Bradley. I mean, I could be misogynistic and list all the male jazz trumpeters I'd pay to hear, but who wants to be labeled a misogynist? Why don't you post the best of Ingrid for my listening pleasure??

Don't forget that you reduced her playing to "just some valve wiggling" that you asserted you were equally good at.

Classic straw man at the start of your rebuttal to Doug. NEXT.

Look, you like smooth jazz, and that's fine. Just don't go around condemning fabulous trumpet players out of your own ignorance.

Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Load of you folks need to open your ears, or stick on your Kenny G records and get to work compiling this list of bests. God knows it needs made. It’s a thankless task, but with people like tobylou on the case we are in safe hands.

Can anyone help me wiggle valves and then play a high note like Ingrid? I know what she does is unlistenable, but for some reason I’d be pretty happy if I could manage this lowly feat. Toby I’m looking your way. Can I get your Skype rates and copies of your cds?

No regards,
Mike
Oh so eloquent! I have a difference of opinion and you're "triggered"! Look my way all you want. Do ANY of these female players compare to early Maynard, Doc, or Carl Saunders, just to name a few I like and would pay to hear? I like Cindy Bradley (maybe it's the pink 900H!!) but she's not in those 3 guys class, but she's good. BTW, my band mate, who likes Ingrid, was "wiggling" his valves and doing glissandos up to high G the other night. It reminded me of the posted Monette video and we discussed. We both got a chuckle when I told him he should go pro!!! Maybe take some Prozac or meditate after you read this.

REGARDS,
Tobylou8
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobylou8 wrote:
bach_again wrote:

No regards,
Mike
Oh so eloquent! I have a difference of opinion and you're "triggered"! Look my way all you want. Do ANY of these female players compare to early Maynard, Doc, or Carl Saunders, just to name a few I like and would pay to hear? I like Cindy Bradley (maybe it's the pink 900H!!) but she's not in those 3 guys class, but she's good. BTW, my band mate, who likes Ingrid, was "wiggling" his valves and doing glissandos up to high G the other night. It reminded me of the posted Monette video and we discussed. We both got a chuckle when I told him he should go pro!!! Maybe take some Prozac or meditate after you read this.

REGARDS,
Tobylou8

Genuinely wondering if this is one of Kurt Thompson's accounts.

The Prozac joke was fairly insensitive, and in very poor taste.

I'm out.

Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikolaTomic wrote:
Taste is subjective. That said, if you think Cindy Bradley is a jazz trumpet player, this might be the best resource for you:

http://www.audiologist.org/resources/audiologist-directory

Define jazz!! WOW, I REALLY struck a nerve with my comments about Ingrid. I've said she's technically FINE! Did any of you upset folks read that part?? I guess not based on your over emotional replies. And now if Keh supports Toby's comments, we're "enemies". LOL What is this, high school?? Keh gets it. We just have different tastes in "jazz", that's all. HAHAHAhahahah...........
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Kurt Thompson account. Ask Keh if you're still on speaking terms! Sorry if my directness and difference of opinion have offended you. Back in the day, Maynard/Doc arguments could result in pugilistic encounters in the storage closet. The only rule was, "No hitting the lips"! Everything else was fair game, especially if you said Doc was better than Maynard!!!
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
etc-etc wrote:
One more issue encountered while attending the performance of Ingrid Jensen was painful over-amplification, which was odd considering that the venue was not exactly full.

For some reason too many venues have someone who I have to assume is profoundly hearing-impaired running sound.

That is so true. I've seen many a "sound-person" working the knobs and pushing the slides wearing headphones until it's "right" in their ears. ????? I've asked, "Do you hear what I hear"?? I usually get a blank stare. I've watched folks pack up and leave because the sound was so bad.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Tobylou8 wrote:
lipshurt wrote:

Don't forget that you reduced her playing to "just some valve wiggling" that you asserted you were equally good at.

Classic straw man at the start of your rebuttal to Doug. NEXT.

Look, you like smooth jazz, and that's fine. Just don't go around condemning fabulous trumpet players out of your own ignorance.

+1

I came here hoping to find out about more players, especially since trumpet is so weirdly male-dominated (just searched and 3% of orchestra trumpet players are women, compared to 50+% for violin).

I really feel sorry for the women described in this thread. Read the comments users leave on their youtube videos and witness threads like this one--I don't know how they hang on. I'm going to tell my daughter to stick with piano...
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
rothman wrote:

I'm sure she could do standards but it doesn't seem that's her thing. I don't think she's trying to convert anyone. I gather she's been successful with an audience that likes what she does.

Not a standard but check out her ride starting about 2:55 in this video. Great sound, technical agility, chops and accuracy Miles wished he'd had. Personally I hear a real solid player with a mastery of the workings of jazz.

Link
That's some wicked good finger wiggling!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP asked specifically about female jazz trumpeters who are excellent guest soloists with a big band and also excellent clinicians. That's a very specific niche, and far different that the best "jazz trumpeter!"

In that respect, Ingrid is definitely the best and most experienced soloist/clinician among female trumpet players. I'd also recommend considering Jami Dauber, Liesl Whitaker, and Tanya Darby. Liesl isn't really a jazz player or a soloist, but she can do the guest artist thing and she is one of the best first trumpets in the the business.

If you really want someone who deals with the avant-garde, I suggest you investigate Lina Allemano.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
The OP asked specifically about female jazz trumpeters who are excellent guest soloists with a big band and also excellent clinicians. That's a very specific niche, and far different that the best "jazz trumpeter!"

In that respect, Ingrid is definitely the best and most experienced soloist/clinician among female trumpet players. I'd also recommend considering Jami Dauber, Liesl Whitaker, and Tanya Darby. Liesl isn't really a jazz player or a soloist, but she can do the guest artist thing and she is one of the best first trumpets in the the business.

If you really want someone who deals with the avant-garde, I suggest you investigate Lina Allemano.

+1 in lieu of a "like" button!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal attacks are against the Usage Agreement. Lighten up or thread will be pulled.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Christine on sax?
Saw her in Italy a couple of times, off and on, a decade or so ago.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: